2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

pls stop saying that because part of me believes the more we say Capers won't be fired, the more likely that ends up being the case. He's like a cockroach...just keeps surviving yr after yr. I want this season to have some meaning and Capers getting the ax is what I'm holding onto

Just now, DocHambone said:

It's not an either or thing. I'd advocate an edge, wr and cb in rounds 1-3. If it was my way, that would be the order as well. Dunno how the board will break though. If they saw tremendous value at the WR position in RD1 (they wont, its not that type of class), I dont think past tendencies would negate Thompson from taking a WR. In fact I recall a story where Jordy was their guy RD1 when they traded back with the Jets. Dunno the validity but it makes sense. 

A WR is not going to make or break this team over the next 8 years.  The success of first round picks makes or breaks a team for 8 years.  First round picks are supposed to be cornerstones of a team.  Find one first round receiver that is the cornerstone of their team, and then tell me how that team is doing.

Trust me on this one.  I'm wrong a lot and I'll admit to being wrong a lot even while I continue arguing something that I know is wrong.  This one I will never admit to.  Unless it's after the 23rd overall pick and the receiver is insane value, it's never the right choice.  Ever. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

A WR is not going to make or break this team over the next 8 years.  The success of first round picks makes or breaks a team for 8 years.  First round picks are supposed to be cornerstones of a team.  Find one first round receiver that is the cornerstone of their team, and then tell me how that team is doing.

Trust me on this one.  I'm wrong a lot and I'll admit to being wrong a lot even while I continue arguing something that I know is wrong.  This one I will never admit to.  Unless it's after the 23rd overall pick and the receiver is insane value, it's never the right choice.  Ever. 

You are focusing a lot on this first round WR thing, and thats not what I'm advocating. I said RD1-2 WR in my original post, but if the board broke my way it would be EDGE first then a WR. TT kills the 2nd RD with WR picks. 

GB does need more weapons though. They absolutely shouldn't draft WR over OLB early on though but it is a position they need to address. That or TE....or both tbh. I gotta think one of Jordy/Cobb are gone after this yr because neither is worth what they're making.

Another thing GB has to take into account now, sad to say, is Davante's concussion history. They're obviously gonna give him an extension but he's now suffered 3 concussions in a little over a yr.

Just now, DocHambone said:

You are focusing a lot on this first round WR thing, and thats not what I'm advocating. I said RD1-2 WR in my original post, but if the board broke my way it would be EDGE first then a WR. TT kills the 2nd RD with WR picks. 

Sorry, I see red on the issue.  I get what you're saying.  Just say WR round 2-3 and I'm right there with you.  We need to take one in round two or three.  I'll never be able to admit Jordy has lost a couple steps, so this sentence is ending. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Sorry, I see red on the issue.  I get what you're saying.  Just say WR round 2-3 and I'm right there with you.  We need to take one in round two or three.  I'll never be able to admit Jordy has lost a couple steps, so this sentence is ending. 

Jordy has lost a step. They all do, eventually. The Packers need to draft a WR in round 2 or 3. Round one has to be the best player available who is either a OLB or a boundary CB. And they absolutely need to hire a new DC. I'm about Dom's age, and although I love my job, I am feeling a little outdated myself. Just like Jordy, we all lose a step, eventually. Younger people with shiny new ideas to replace older people is just the way the world is set up. It's called progress. Which brings me around to McCarthy. I posted in another thread that as he ages, he is reminding me more and more of his early mentor, Marty Schottenheimer. There always seems to be one bad break, one bad play, one bad decision that keeps the Packers from another Super Bowl appearance.

3 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Use every pick we have on CB's and EDGE Rushers until we figure this GD thing out.

Giving a bad carpenter more tools doesn't change anything. Capers has to go, then let's see what the current players, with the addition of another high draft choice can do.

We need a DC that actually gets something out of his players. Carolina has a secondary of Daryl Worley, James Bradberry, Coleman, etc. That group plays elite level football. We keep throwing Hayward, Randall, Rollins, King, Jones, HHCD, Burnett, McMillian and on and on, top 4 round picks and they continually cycle in and out and never play well as a unit. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Giving a bad carpenter more tools doesn't change anything. Capers has to go, then let's see what the current players, with the addition of another high draft choice can do.

I agree, but Mac going into a contract year won't replace Dom.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We need a DC that actually gets something out of his players. Carolina has a secondary of Daryl Worley, James Bradberry, Coleman, etc. That group plays elite level football. We keep throwing Hayward, Randall, Rollins, King, Jones, HHCD, Burnett, McMillian and on and on, top 4 round picks and they continually cycle in and out and never play well as a unit. 

Mike is headed into a contract year, as bad as we need a new DC, we won't get it this year.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yup. Dom's scheme is too complicated. He's the one real possibility for a change. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

What does Mike's deal have to do with Dom? You'd think if Mike wants a new deal he needs to put the team in the best situation to win.

Being consistently bad is better than the unknown for a lot people. Blind faith. If they make the playoffs Mike probably gets an extension, and that means he will keep Dom iyam.

Archived