2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

hahahahahahahhhahahha why does this site even exist anymore

Web hits baby. More stupid it is, the more they use it. Which isn't a shot at anyone, I will do it 10 trillion times this year.

19 hours ago, jleisher said:

Watched his film against Texas St. and N. Texas.  Love the play against N. Texas when he almost tackled the RB and QB during the handoff exchange.  With that said, where does he play in the Packers Defense?  DE or Edge?  Haven't seen him drop back into coverage?  UTSA looks to play a 4-3, #55 the MLB sure was all over the field as well.

He's an EDGE.  Not nearly stout enough to be a 5T.  Should be a good enough athlete on the edge.

17 hours ago, jleisher said:

Does anyone know, has Clelin Ferrell from Clemson declare?  As for Davenport, if he's that good, he won't be there at #14 or #15.

I love incog, but he's getting out of hand with this Davenport love.  He's not a 1st round pick right now IMO.  A big Combine should help him.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I love incog, but he's getting out of hand with this Davenport love.  He's not a 1st round pick right now IMO.  A big Combine should help him.

This is the time of year a lot draftniks get ahead of their skis. It is more prevalent this year because we turned to the draft much earlier in the process as opposed to other years IMO. Current frustration and wanting to make it better quick makes us all a little too forward thinking on the draft analysis. Davenport is a nice prospect, but because of the level of competition, you really cannot justify slotting him anywhere until you see the other athletic metrics. It is all hunch and guess at this point for the lower level team prospects. Much easier to project stand out players against the other top line teams- those players typically stand out for a reason. Andrews for instance.....that is a very good prospect, but does he justify a top 15 selection? Not sure there....I just think he is going to be a very nice pro without having to see anymore athletic metrics. That guy stands out against the best of competition.

3 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

This is the time of year a lot draftniks get ahead of their skis. It is more prevalent this year because we turned to the draft much earlier in the process as opposed to other years IMO. Current frustration and wanting to make it better quick makes us all a little too forward thinking on the draft analysis. Davenport is a nice prospect, but because of the level of competition, you really cannot justify slotting him anywhere until you see the other athletic metrics. It is all hunch and guess at this point for the lower level team prospects. Much easier to project stand out players against the other top line teams- those players typically stand out for a reason. Andrews for instance.....that is a very good prospect, but does he justify a top 15 selection? Not sure there....I just think he is going to be a very nice pro without having to see anymore athletic metrics. That guy stands out against the best of competition.

No doubt.  We will get a better idea of who he is at the Senior Bowl.  If he dominates at the Senior Bowl, he's going to skyrocket up the draft board.  If he pairs a great showing with a great Combine performance, he's a top 10 player.  But based on what has happened right now, he's a Day 2 pick based largely on upside.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I never buy the 'hes not an 'x' round pick now'. He's been an 'x' round pick for months already. Everyone other than the pros are just starting to start to begin to catch up. 

I fall at the very bottom of that line. I've watched like 10 guys' cutups this year. I'm only working on a historical perspective and he appears to me to have the ability and numbers that will warrant a top 15-20 pick.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I never buy the 'hes not an 'x' round pick now'. He's been an 'x' round pick for months already. Everyone other than the pros are just starting to start to begin to catch up. 

I fall at the very bottom of that line. I've watched like 10 guys' cutups this year. I'm only working on a historical perspective and he appears to me to have the ability and numbers that will warrant a top 15-20 pick.

I'll use DRC since he's one of the most obvious ones that comes to mind.  Do you think he was a top 16 pick before the Senior Bowl and the Combine? No, his Senior Bowl showing combined with his Combine performance is what saw his draft stock up the board.  If he came out and ran a 4.6 forty instead of a 4.3 forty he ran, we'd be talking about transitioning him to safety.  Not talking about him as one of the premier CB prospects in the draft.  There's a stigma against smaller school players, and you have to stand out not just on tape but also athletically.  That's why I'll be watching Dallas Goedert so intently at the Senior Bowl.  If he plays well, his stock will shoot up the draft board.

Well for sh*ts and grins I decided to try a simulated draft and i'm probably way off but I drafted per the Packers needs. I don't know a lot about the background on guys later on in the draft but this is it.. Don't bash me too hard lol This is also assuming we don't keep cobb and or Jordy

14: R1P14

EDGE CLELIN FERRELL
CLEMSON
46: R2P14

WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M
78: R3P14

BRADEN SMITH
AUBURN
102: R3P38

DL LOWELL LOTULELEI
UTAH
116: R4P14

TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA
153: R5P14
EDGE EBENEZER OGUNDEKO
TENNESSEE STATE
173: R5P34

CB DAVONTAE HARRIS
ILLINOIS STATE
175: R5P36
DL CHRISTIAN LACOUTURE JR.
LSU
177: R5P38

BRADLEY BOZEMAN
ALABAMA
192: R6P14

DL ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA
233: R7P14

DAMON WEBB
OHIO STATE
237: R7P18

CB AARON DAVIS
GEORGIA

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll use DRC since he's one of the most obvious ones that comes to mind.  Do you think he was a top 16 pick before the Senior Bowl and the Combine? No, his Senior Bowl showing combined with his Combine performance is what saw his draft stock up the board.  If he came out and ran a 4.6 forty instead of a 4.3 forty he ran, we'd be talking about transitioning him to safety.  Not talking about him as one of the premier CB prospects in the draft.  There's a stigma against smaller school players, and you have to stand out not just on tape but also athletically.  That's why I'll be watching Dallas Goedert so intently at the Senior Bowl.  If he plays well, his stock will shoot up the draft board.

The pros don't need the combine to tell the difference between a 4.3 and a 4.6 guy.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The pros don't need the combine to tell the difference between a 4.3 and a 4.6 guy.

How many times have we seen players who we thought were 4.5 guys and they ended up running 4.3 at the Combine?  Too many times to count.  Or vice versa.  And it's not just the 40 yard dash, it's the 3 cone, broad jump, etc.  And it's also level of competition.

Just now, CWood21 said:

How many times have we seen players who we thought were 4.5 guys and they ended up running 4.3 at the Combine?  Too many times to count.  Or vice versa.  And it's not just the 40 yard dash, it's the 3 cone, broad jump, etc.  And it's also level of competition.

'we' aren't pros.

How long do you want to keep doing this :)

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

'we' aren't pros.

How long do you want to keep doing this :)

So...you're telling me because they get paid, they can spot the difference between 4.3 and 4.5?  Man, you have a LOT more faith in them than I do.  I mean, why do they even need the Combine then?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

So...you're telling me because they get paid, they can spot the difference between 4.3 and 4.5?  Man, you have a LOT more faith in them than I do.  I mean, why do they even need the Combine then?

Engineers don't build rockets that successfully launch into space because they are paid. They do it successfully because they've studied how for years and years.

Why do we need collaboration if the engineers already know how? To confirm, strengthen and reduce risk.

Archived