Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

ASJ supposedly turned down a 2yr/8mill offer from us.

I wouldn’t bend over backwards and offer him much more. All his personal problems aside, he only had 350 receiving yards last year. Can’t imagine teams are breaking down the door to sign him. 

9 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I wouldn't have accepted either. I wonder what he wants? I speculated $7m per so if it's less that that I'm happy

$7/year is way too much for him. No way we should pay much more than $4 per year for a number 2 TE. 2 years for $8M is a reasonable offer. Maybe he wants a third year which I can understand. So maybe the Jets go 3 years, $12M.

Just now, SDotNova said:

$7/year is way too much for him. No way we should much more than $4 per year for a number 2 TE. 2 years for $8M is a reasonable offer. Maybe he wants a third year which I can understand. So maybe the Jets go 3 years, $12M.

I'm surprised people view him as a 2nd tight end. I really thought he had all the makings to be our number 1 with a better OL and Enunwa back..

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

For $7m a year I’d rather just give a bit extra and go after Jimmy Graham 

In my mind you are paying for expected production when you sign ASJ where is if you sign Graham for $11-12M you will be paying for past production. I think it would be easier for ASJ to live up to $5-7M than it will be for Graham to live up to $11-12M. Age also becomes a factor 25 vs 31. I don't expect Graham to be around here long term where the hope would be to have ASJ for the long haul if he continues to trend upwards.

I have to wonder, how many teams wouldn't even take a chance on ASJ considering his past. I understand that he had some bad luck last year with TD's, but at the end of the day ASJ didn't have that big of an impact for us. Most of us loved him coming out of college, we all know he tested out as a freak but at some point you need to produce on the field. I'd love to bring back ASJ to the team, but at the same time I'm more than fine drafting Dallas Goedert, Mike Geseki, Ian Thomas or whoever to become the new TE.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

In my mind you are paying for expected production when you sign ASJ where is if you sign Graham for $11-12M you will be paying for past production. I think it would be easier for ASJ to live up to $5-7M than it will be for Graham to live up to $11-12M. Age also becomes a factor 25 vs 31. I don't expect Graham to be around here long term where the hope would be to have ASJ for the long haul if he continues to trend upwards.

I’m not saying we should sign Graham (although I’m not opposed to it) but comparing ASJ and Graham is night and day. Graham had a down year and still caught 10 TDs compared to ASJs 3. I think why ASJ is wanting a good pay day is bc the media praises him so much for cleaning up his act and all, but still the production wasn’t there. So it’s the media blowing up his price tag. A TE that had 350yds and 3 TDs shouldn’t be paid any more than the offer we gave him. When he realizes that, hopefully he signs.

I know I've been big on bringing in Eifert/Graham, but I wouldn't be against bringing back ASJ as a starter. 

But I rreeeaaalllyyyy want Graham. He's a difference maker that defenses have to plan for. The attention he gets from safties opens things up for Anderson and others. Eifert might be the low risk high reward situation if he recovered from his injuries. 

Troy Renck mentions that WR Demaryius Thomas‘ contract includes a $4 million option bonus due by the last day of the 2017 league year.

Should Denver decline Thomas’ option, it would void the final two years of his contract and make him a free agent.

Renck says it’s a fair question whether the Broncos would prefer to allocate their money differently next year, as Thomas is owed $8.5 million for the 2018 season.

I know he's 30, but he's interesting pending on how the Enunwa situation turn out. 

13 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I know I've been big on bringing in Eifert/Graham, but I wouldn't be against bringing back ASJ as a starter. 

But I rreeeaaalllyyyy want Graham. He's a difference maker that defenses have to plan for. The attention he gets from safties opens things up for Anderson and others. Eifert might be the low risk high reward situation if he recovered from his injuries. 

Graham is quite a weapon there’s no doubt about that. But is he right for what we are trying to do (rebuild). He’s 31yrs old. Why would he sign here? I’m sure he wants a ring. Can’t see us enticing him unless we get Cousins.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Graham is quite a weapon there’s no doubt about that. But is he right for what we are trying to do (rebuild). He’s 31yrs old. Why would he sign here? I’m sure he wants a ring. Can’t see us enticing him unless we get Cousins.

Everyone in a rebuilding situation doesn't have to be under 25. Looking at Antonio Gates, we could get another 5 years from Graham. 

He could be looking for the best deal, right system, and a team heading in the right direction.  Who knows, I could ask why any of the free agents we named would sign with us. It's still early. But I don't see a reason why not to take a shot. 

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Everyone in a rebuilding situation doesn't have to be under 25. Looking at Antonio Gates, we could get another 5 years from Graham. 

He could be looking for the best deal, right system, and a team heading in the right direction.  Who knows, I could ask why any of the free agents we named would sign with us. It's still early. But I don't see a reason why not to take a shot. 

I’d rather take a shot on Eifert with the state of our franchise honestly. Like I said... I’m not opposed to bringing in Graham, I just don’t why he’s come here unless we got Cousins.

Archived