Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

Sorry bobby with the lack of quoting, but 100%. Honey Badger + one of the 5 best corners in FA + maybe a corner in the late 2nd or 3rd = elite secondary for years. Btw, nobody has talked about Darqueze Dennard, but he's another really good CB (or was at least this year)

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Sorry bobby with the lack of quoting, but 100%. Honey Badger + one of the 5 best corners in FA + maybe a corner in the late 2nd or 3rd = elite secondary for years. Btw, nobody has talked about Darqueze Dennard, but he's another really good CB (or was at least this year)

I'm not against Dennard. I have a strong feeling we get Butler and another CB in FA. Maybe like Colvin, NRC or maybe Dennard. I think Claiborne is going to want way more than he deserves to resign with us pre FA. So I'd let him walk, especially with this CB FA class and draft class.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not against Dennard. I have a strong feeling we get Butler and another CB in FA. Maybe like Colvin, NRC or maybe Dennard. I think Claiborne is going to want way more than he deserves to resign with us pre FA. So I'd let him walk, especially with this CB FA class and draft class.

I think if we do get Honeybadger we end up getting Butler and resigning Mo, obviously cutting Skrine and having Honeybadger take over slot duties for the most part.  He has some flaws in his game but the guy makes things happen out there.

5 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

CB: Trumaine Johnson
SLOT: Honey Badger
FS: Marcus Maye
SS: Jamal Adams
CB: Morris Claiborne 

Yeesh!

I think we get 1 of Butler or Johnson. But I'm actually now wanting someone besides Claiborne opposite one of them. If we can land the Honey Badger.. . I think it will be pretty easy for us top sell the future of this secondary to FAs. Where we could have our pick of the liter.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we get 1 of Butler or Johnson. But I'm actually now wanting someone besides Claiborne opposite one of them. If we can land the Honey Badger.. . I think it will be pretty easy for us top sell the future of this secondary to FAs. Where we could have our pick of the liter.

Butler's super overrated

No thanks

4 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Butler's super overrated

No thanks

His speed isn't good. But he's shown he can hang with top WRs in this league with pure grit. Which I like and will fit in with this defensive secondary. He certainly isn't a lock down corner but he's a #1 I believe and I think we can get a good CB opposite him as well.

Imagine a secondary of

CB1: Butler or Johnson

CB 2: Fuller or Dennard

CB/FS Honey Badger

FS: Maye

SS: Adams

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-4

On-field workouts at the combine have officially begun, as the offensive linemen and running backs completed their testing today. Tomorrow it’s the quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends. Here’s the latest from Indianapolis.

Combine Prospects

- On Monday, we mentioned the need for receiver Courtland Sutton to have a big combine workout, and the expectations are that he’ll run faster than most think during tomorrow’s testing. I’m told times in the low 4.5s are possible, better than most imagine.

Free Agency

- I’ve been told the New York Jets gameplan at cornerback includes re-signing Mo Claiborne, who is set to be a free agent, as well as keeping Buster Skrine, who is in the final year of his deal with the team. It is unlikely they go after a top-rated corner like Trumaine Johnson, although the team has set its sights on a mid-tier free agent. The Jets have been linked to Malcolm Butler in the New York media, but the word I’m hearing is that they seem to be leaning towards Bashaud Breeland.

- Many here believe if they lose out in the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, the contingency plan for the New York Jets is to make a move to acquire Sam Bradford, who is set to become a free agent.

- I’ve been mentioning all along that the Jets have their sights set on obtaining Weston Richburg in free agency. It’s very likely going to be a much more expensive acquisition than the franchise initially thought, as I’m told the market for Richburg has exploded and plenty of teams have shown a ton of interest in the soon-to-be free-agent center. This will put the Jets in an awkward position, as they’ve shown no interest in re-signing Wesley Johnson, the team’s starting center last season.

- If the Carolina Panthers don’t re-sign Star Lotulelei, the Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs are potential landing spots, as both teams have shown interest.

Keep This In the Back of Your Mind

- On Monday, I mentioned that the Seattle Seahawks will float Earl Thomas as trade bait here at the combine, and several teams are now openly talking about acquiring the safety and discussing how he would fit in their system.

Some notes on this for me:

1) Only way I'm okay with Bradford is if we still take a QB in the 1st. I'd prefer McCown to Bradford but I'm really just splitting hairs at this point as both are largely underperforming often injured journeymen, McCown would just be cheaper.

2) In terms of Skrine, I do think we hold him until we have a viable replacement for him. That said keeping him would be like how the Bills are keeping Tyrod. They know his replacemt will cost just as much if not more so maybe sticking with the devil you know for 1 year is better than the devil you don't for 2+?

- I'd be a fan of bringing Breeland in, Redskins fans seem like the don't want to lose him so he could be a steal. I still want the Honey Badger too though.

3) I prefer Jensen to Richburg but either way it would be a massive upgrade at Center. Even though there is going to be competition we have a distinct advantage when it comes to Richburg, he won't need to uproot his family.

Archived