Cowboys Draft Links and Meetings Thread

flyingmonkey30

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

Wait...what? Ridley is nothing like Fitzgerald. Their games are nothing alike, and their sizes are nothing alike. Ridley is much closer to a poor man’s Marvin Harrison.

If Ridley was better at contact I wouldn't be so against taking. But this guy is a tooth pick, and DC's only have to watch one game to understand that bump coverage can seriously wreck his game. And he is not experienced enough nor nearly as polished like Witten is to be able to find the soft spots in the defense to make up for his rookie mistakes we will be waiting 2 or 3 years more then likely for a return on our investment.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

If Ridley was better at contact I wouldn't be so against taking. But this guy is a tooth pick, and DC's only have to watch one game to understand that bump coverage can seriously wreck his game. And he is not experienced enough nor nearly as polished like Witten is to be able to find the soft spots in the defense to make up for his rookie mistakes we will be waiting 2 or 3 years more then likely for a return on our investment.

Exactly. I don’t see Ridley evolving into anything more than a glorified #2 slot receiver. Why use a mid-1st round pick on a guy like that when there are numerous, viable #2 WRs in the 2nd-4th rounds? We’re better served to wait and draft better players at other positions; like LB, DT, and OG.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

We have seen Dez, TWill, Switzer, Beasley basically everyone Witten included be open at some point this season and seen Dak over throw them.

And i'm really curious about this. Are you guys saying we actually need our receivers to be open in order for Dak to complete passes? Cause if so we are in some deep sh!t if that's the case. Cause this is the NFL not NCAA.

I don’t really understand the logic here, but it seems to me like your argument is, “well, Dak can’t hit them anyway, so we might as well have bad receivers”.

That seems like a bad reason to not draft a receiver. 

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Exactly. I don’t see Ridley evolving into anything more than a glorified #2 slot receiver. Why use a mid-1st round pick on a guy like that when there are numerous, viable #2 WRs in the 2nd-4th rounds? We’re better served to wait and draft better players at other positions; like LB, DT, and OG.

I agree with almost everything you said, with only a slight disagreement that I think Ridley will be a pretty productive NFL receiver. I imagine he’d be a phenomenal fit at a place like Carolina. 

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

We have seen Dez, TWill, Switzer, Beasley basically everyone Witten included be open at some point this season and seen Dak over throw them.

And i'm really curious about this. Are you guys saying we actually need our receivers to be open in order for Dak to complete passes? Cause if so we are in some deep sh!t if that's the case. Cause this is the NFL not NCAA.

At this point in time he still needs some refinement in anticipating/throwing recievers open. Remember Dak was going to need some development behind Romo for a few years. He wasnt afforded that luxury. Thus now the team has to live with his growing pains at times. Eventually, hopefully this year as it is now year 3 and the influx of a Dak friendly offensive scheme will help him. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with almost everything you said, with only a slight disagreement that I think Ridley will be a pretty productive NFL receiver. I imagine he’d be a phenomenal fit at a place like Carolina. 

I probably should’ve been a little clearer. I think Ridley will be a productive WR as well, albeit a #2 WR. If I’m investing a 1st round pick on anyone - at any position - I expect that player to be a #1 starter, not a #2. I simply haven’t seen anything in Ridley’s game which gives me the confidence to believe that he’s a bonafide #1 guy. As I’ve stated before, I don’t feel that any of the WRs in this class are #1 WR prospects.

Now, if Ridley was there in the 2nd round, I’d be all over that pick.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don’t really understand the logic here, but it seems to me like your argument is, “well, Dak can’t hit them anyway, so we might as well have bad receivers”.

That seems like a bad reason to not draft a receiver. 

No I am saying just what I said. That if the only way we can depend on Dak to complete passes are to receivers that are wide open then we are screwed going into the season. Dak has to develop his accuracy. It is a great bonus if receivers can get open in the NFL. But NFL caliber QB's are meant to make the tough throws the ones into tight windows with 2 or even 3 guys around. Or more commonly the ones where it's just one on one and the receiver is open for a split second before the defender recovers. Dak has not shown he is able to consistently do that as of yet.

Only receivers that can consistently get "open" like you're asking are marquee players like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones among a couple of others. My argument is, if we need 2 or 3 receivers like that in order for Dak to succeed, then we might as well be looking at possibly drafting a QB then at 19 or trading up for one because Dak is clearly not the future if he can not make NFL throws.

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

At this point in time he still needs some refinement in anticipating/throwing recievers open. Remember Dak was going to need some development behind Romo for a few years. He wasnt afforded that luxury. Thus now the team has to live with his growing pains at times. Eventually, hopefully this year as it is now year 3 and the influx of a Dak friendly offensive scheme will help him. 

I like your post and I want to root for Dak. But you forget we have Linehan. But then again he is a passing guy so I imagine he can do something for Dak. It just better not wreck our ground game.

9 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

No I am saying just what I said. That if the only way we can depend on Dak to complete passes are to receivers that are wide open then we are screwed going into the season. Dak has to develop his accuracy. It is a great bonus if receivers can get open in the NFL. But NFL caliber QB's are meant to make the tough throws the ones into tight windows with 2 or even 3 guys around. Or more commonly the ones where it's just one on one and the receiver is open for a split second before the defender recovers. Dak has not shown he is able to consistently do that as of yet.

Only receivers that can consistently get "open" like you're asking are marquee players like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones among a couple of others. My argument is, if we need 2 or 3 receivers like that in order for Dak to succeed, then we might as well be looking at possibly drafting a QB then at 19 or trading up for one because Dak is clearly not the future if he can not make NFL throws.

This conversation is about Ridley, and whether he will make a good receiver. I'm so confused how we got to this point. 

9 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I probably should’ve been a little clearer. I think Ridley will be a productive WR as well, albeit a #2 WR. If I’m investing a 1st round pick on anyone - at any position - I expect that player to be a #1 starter, not a #2. I simply haven’t seen anything in Ridley’s game which gives me the confidence to believe that he’s a bonafide #1 guy. As I’ve stated before, I don’t feel that any of the WRs in this class are #1 WR prospects.

Now, if Ridley was there in the 2nd round, I’d be all over that pick.

Then we are on pretty similar pages. Calvin Ridley is definitely not my preferred choice at #19. I just think that when you get to the mid-late first round, you don't have perfect prospects. While Ridley's ceiling might be lower than some, his floor is quite high. There are worse things you can do with a first round pick, certainly, in my eyes.

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Then we are on pretty similar pages. Calvin Ridley is definitely not my preferred choice at #19. I just think that when you get to the mid-late first round, you don't have perfect prospects. While Ridley's ceiling might be lower than some, his floor is quite high. There are worse things you can do with a first round pick, certainly, in my eyes.

Totally understand.

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This conversation is about Ridley, and whether he will make a good receiver. I'm so confused how we got to this point. 

The conversation is who to draft at 19. I made a comment about if Dak can't get the ball to a very talented posession receiver like Dez how is he going to fit it to Ridley. To which you replied.

Have you gotten so used to our receivers’ inability to create separation that you’ve forgotten a good strategy for a WR is to actually get open? 

To which I replied about Dak's accuracy and over cautious decision making is the problem and drafting a great receiver is not going to make a huge difference if Dak himself cannot make NFL throws. That's how we got here. The idea that we just need to get Dak better receivers is a bad argument. Cause he had a good receiving core. It was not great by any means but he still should not have had the problems he had throwing. The biggest problem is that everyone took a step back last year. Dak included, everyone had their big draw back including Dak which was his passing game took a big step back. Even when our receivers got seperation Dak either over threw them Brett Favre style, or he didn't see them, or he failed to pull the trigger quick enough. Our receiving core can be alot better now that Dez is gone. But we still have bigger needs at LB and the OL. Dak has to learn how to adjust and adapt. Considering how our offense is ran it does take some of the pressure off him as well as the need to get him better targets at such a high pick.

My point is if we have to invest so much into a poor passing QB that relies on a run based first offense with WR that can always gain seperation for him to hit his targets then the problem that needed to be addressed was not at receiver. It was at QB.

Archived