2018 Off-season Coaching Staff Changes

Mind Character

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Have you watched the Pats play? Their offense has different twists every week. That's what people are talking about with Haley, not that he doesn't completely change his system, but that he doesn't change it at all. Like, same routes, same plays, just different combinations.

It's not the worst thing in the world. I'd rather have him calling plays than Hue. I was just hoping for one of these young guns who are innovating and making something out of nothing (John Morton was my best case scenario), rather than another guy who calls what he calls and doesn't change at all.

Like, how is a play designed for Big Ben, Bell, and Antonio Brown gonna look with Alex Smith, Duke Johnson, and Calvin Ridley for instance? I just don't know if we can say "he's good!" when he's had such a massive talent advantage most weeks. (Even Pitt's OL has been excellent the last couple years).

I'm hopeful. I just don't think it's a slam dunk. And it weirds me out that all three of our main coaches have a rep for "my way or the highway".

To me you look at the Pats. Yeah they get quirky like you say, adding twists to it every week. Where if you look at Haley and the Steelers they dont change,  IDK, im the OC of the Steelers, there is no reason for you to get cute or over-creative offensively. They have one of the most talented/experienced offensive group in the league. Steelers offense was never about out smarting someone, it was about out executing them. Not the offenses fault for not advancing in the playoffs. Sure as hell doesnt look good scoring 42 points and losing a game. He had a scheme in place for his big3 and didnt need to get away from it much. You would hope he would get a scheme together from the talent he has and that he wont have to get away from it. Its hard for me to really know because I didnt follow the Steelers that close but Haley never abandon since aspects of his system. Like he knew if he stuck to it, it would pay off.  

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel bad for the players for having to be around Gregg and Haley do much, they both seem like world class ball bags imo.

Good coaches? Maybe, perhaps. Aszbags. Oh hell yes.

I completely understand this view.  They are both firey coaches.  But maybe that's what we need.  Hue stands on the sidelines and looks like Eeyore. Everyone respond to different leadership styles differently.  Hopefully this hire gives them a little bit of both, almost a good cop, bad cop.  Only the good cop likes to throw people under the bus during his 3 daily press conferences.  So bad cop, bad cop? But ones is this ashhole cop who tells you how things really are and the other one looks like a tool bag talks you up and then says trash behind your back.  It will be fun for sure.  I can't wait for Hardknocks.  If there was any season to have the Browns on there, this is it.

13 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I completely understand this view.  They are both firey coaches.  But maybe that's what we need.  Hue stands on the sidelines and looks like Eeyore. Everyone respond to different leadership styles differently.  Hopefully this hire gives them a little bit of both, almost a good cop, bad cop.  Only the good cop likes to throw people under the bus during his 3 daily press conferences.  So bad cop, bad cop? But ones is this ashhole cop who tells you how things really are and the other one looks like a tool bag talks you up and then says trash behind your back.  It will be fun for sure.  I can't wait for Hardknocks.  If there was any season to have the Browns on there, this is it.

Maybe it’s just me and my personality but I’ve never understood how people thinking yelling is going to motivate someone.

At best I tune you out or tell you to pound sand under my breath, at worst I tell you to your face.  

What grown man needs yelled at?

The blunt honesty is fine, preferable in fact, but they just seem like dbags to me.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe it’s just me and my personality but I’ve never understood how people thinking yelling is going to motivate someone.

At best I tune you out or tell you to pound sand under my breath, at worst I tell you to your face.  

The blunt honesty is fine, preferable in fact, but they just seem like dbags to me.

I'm in the middle.

I look at it like Roadhouse: Be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Would you tune out or tell Coach to pound salt if your performance seriously sucked, you had (nicely) been told what you needed to improve and you hadn't?

I have a very long fuse, but if someone keeps piling on or letting me down I eventually explode.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I'm in the middle.

I look at it like Roadhouse: Be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Would you tune out or tell Coach to pound salt if your performance seriously sucked, you had (nicely) been told what you needed to improve and you hadn't?

I have a very long fuse, but if someone keeps piling on or letting me down I eventually explode.

Me? Yes.  I know when I’ve goofed and don’t need some dude acting like an idiot in my face about it. Most men are hard enough on themselves and realize what needs to be done.

I can’t imagine what my reaction would be if a grown man thought they could mother F me to my face, but it likely wouldn’t end well for anyone, especially in a professional setting.

If there are dudes that either can’t grasp it, or simply can’t do it, yelling won’t change that, it’s time to find a different dude or figure out what they can do well and adjust.  Or, as some may call it, coach.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Me? Yes.  I know when I’ve goofed and don’t need some dude acting like an idiot in my face about it.

Then you probably would never have a dude acting like an idiot in your face about it.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

well everyone is different. hence why different styles work for different players. To me it seems like the Browns have had the "players coach" for awhile now. To me those kind of coaches work for the vet heavy team. When the team basically knows how to act and doesnt need someone to repeat things they already know. I think the authoritative coaches work for younger teams and the players coach works for older teams 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well everyone is different. hence why different styles work for different players. To me it seems like the Browns have had the "players coach" for awhile now. To me those kind of coaches work for the vet heavy team. When the team basically knows how to act and doesnt need someone to repeat things they already know. I think the authoritative coaches work for younger teams and the players coach works for older teams 

I agree.

Last season's team made way too many fundamental mistakes which apparently were not corrected by the coaching staff.

I love the idea of merging Haley's tough love on O with Williams' hard arse approach on D, and pairing them off against Hueball's world of delusion and political chicanery.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

I agree.

Last season's team made way too many fundamental mistakes which apparently were not corrected by the coaching staff.

I love the idea of merging Haley's tough love on O with Williams' hard arse approach on D, and pairing them off against Hueball's world of delusion and political chicanery.

ITs like with Coughlin when he was with the Giants. He was a very authoritative but when he started to lighten up with his style and became more of a players coach, that giants team really started to play better and ended up winning two superbowls

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Maybe.

I think if a person needs another person to mother F them to motivate them, they just lack motivation.  I also think if a coach feels yelling and profanity is the best way to get his point across he probably lacks proper communication skills. Maybe it’s just me, idk.

Don’t get me wrong, a coach who holds players accountable and demands effort, etc is all well and good, but there are more productive ways to communicate amongst professionals and grown men than what I’ve seen and heard from Williams and Haley. The fake tough guy ish is comical and cliched. That’s all I’m saying I suppose.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe.

I think if a person needs another person to mother F them to motivate them, they just lack motivation.  I also think if a coach feels yelling and profanity is the best way to get his point across he probably lacks proper communication skills. Maybe it’s just me, idk.

Don’t get me wrong, a coach who holds players accountable and demands effort, etc is all well and good, but there are more productive ways to communicate amongst professionals and grown men than what I’ve seen and heard from Williams and Haley. The fake tough guy ish is comical and cliched. That’s all I’m saying I suppose.

It might be that you are forgetting that our roster is loaded with kids...not yet professionals or grown men.

I know that I good arse-chewing now and then helped me a lot.

Just now, bruceb said:

It might be that you are forgetting that our roster is loaded with kids...not yet professionals or grown men.

Sure, I suppose.

I’m not sure a bunch of 20 something multimillionaires are going to agree with that, but maybe. I guess I just feel like the best coaches and leaders are the ones who empower the people they lead and teach them, communicate well, etc. not the guy who can string together the longest group of four letter words.

If it works though, I’ll be happy.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess I just feel like the best coaches and leaders are the ones who empower the people they lead and teach them, communicate well, etc. not the guy who can string together the longest group of four letter words.

Agree completely.

But remember: Anger is one of the stronger emotions, and can be fuel for a slacking soul.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

To me, thats the one thing that was meant by Dorseys football player comments he made when he took the job over. 

That sometimes a player needs to get ripped a new one. When I was coaching, I have only yelled/ripped into a player twice. Once when the kid was verbally attacking and was trying to force a physical altercation at practice. God that kid was a POS. Thank god he got kicked off the team for telling a teacher to Suck his D--- in class. Second kid, was playing in the biggest game of the season. He was the right guard. He was playing extremely lazy. Nothing was working and when we turned the ball over on downs because he missed a block, I think I met him 10yards on the field and ripped him a new one. He tried talking back, I shut him down, finished the *** chewing and told him get water and pull his head out of his butt. 3 plays later he is by my side because he is one of my DTs. Gave him a side hug, apologized and told him I only ripped him a new one cause I expect a better performance out of you. He apologized for talking back and playing like poop. He ended up removing his head from his butt and played a very good game the rest of the way. I have played with coaches where the yelling ane name calling was their first move and that never worked. 

Archived