2018 Off-season Coaching Staff Changes

Mind Character

First of all, I love this hire. Todds a ball-busting, hard-ash coach. I love that hes from western PA; he gets the people in this part of the country. And I love the bar-fights; he could be a member of my family. Plus, the proof is in the pudding, baby: top 10 offenses for years. 

This will be an unpopular take around here given that people think Zampese's OC issues (Still OC'd the 11th overall offense in offensive efficiency his first year replacing Hue) mean he's a terrible QB coach, but the Haley hire makes the Ken Zampese hire as QB coach even better as whoever the young QB is they are going to need a TON of love, arms around them, and calming technical teaching.

Zampese has the right demeanor, affect, and teaching style to brace against the aggressive coaching of Haley and Hue on their QBs.

That will be important for whoever the next rookie QB is and Kizer.

32 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Haley’s biggest criticism is that he runs his scheme regardless of opponent. So he’s pretty much identical to Hue and Gregg. 

That doesn’t make sense. He should run his scheme every game he coaches lol. Changing schemes week to week would be silly. Maybe he won’t make adjustments or changes to concepts when it comes to the defensive style of the opposing team but the past couple years it seemed very hard for teams to stop his schemes. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

That doesn’t make sense. He should run his scheme every game he coaches lol. Changing schemes week to week would be silly. Maybe he won’t make adjustments or changes to concepts when it comes to the defensive style of the opposing team but the past couple years it seemed very hard for teams to stop his schemes. 

I’m just telling you what steeler fans have been saying for a few years. If you have a bad run/ pass defense he won’t exploit it. He’ll just run the same stuff he always run. 

26 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m just telling you what steeler fans have been saying for a few years. If you have a bad run/ pass defense he won’t exploit it. He’ll just run the same stuff he always run. 

Idk 

if I had Le’Veon Bell and Antonio Brown I’d probably give them the ball a lot too 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Haley’s biggest criticism is that he runs his scheme regardless of opponent. So he’s pretty much identical to Hue and Gregg. 

At least his scheme has proven across multiple teams to work and be a point scoring machine lol

Seriously though I think thats a good thing in the short term. What this team needs above anything else is a identity. They are known for nothing on offense besides leading the NFL in turnovers and it would be nice for a change to get some horses that can play in a particular system and use the hell out of it.

His scheme just put up 42 points on the NFLs best defense :D

38 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

From the outside looking in, Ive never really seen them lose because of a lack of scoring. So if it works, why change it? Always something to complain about with coaches. All make mistakes and have flaws.

31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Have you watched the Pats play? Their offense has different twists every week. That's what people are talking about with Haley, not that he doesn't completely change his system, but that he doesn't change it at all. Like, same routes, same plays, just different combinations.

It's not the worst thing in the world. I'd rather have him calling plays than Hue. I was just hoping for one of these young guns who are innovating and making something out of nothing (John Morton was my best case scenario), rather than another guy who calls what he calls and doesn't change at all.

Like, how is a play designed for Big Ben, Bell, and Antonio Brown gonna look with Alex Smith, Duke Johnson, and Calvin Ridley for instance? I just don't know if we can say "he's good!" when he's had such a massive talent advantage most weeks. (Even Pitt's OL has been excellent the last couple years).

I'm hopeful. I just don't think it's a slam dunk. And it weirds me out that all three of our main coaches have a rep for "my way or the highway".

2 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

From the outside looking in, Ive never really seen them lose because of a lack of scoring. So if it works, why change it? Always something to complain about with coaches. Every one has flaws.

Except that it doesn't. This year the lack of scoring wasn't the reason they lost in the playoffs, but they've had a couple years where when they went up against a good defense with time to gameplan it became very obvious that they hadn't adjusted. For instance, in 2016 they lost in the AFCCG, which is awesome, but their last two games combined they had 35 points (18 and 17) and didn't look great doing it. In 2016 they scored a combined 34 points in their two playoff games.

It's been a trend that when the games get important their offense gets worse and Haley's scheme doesn't adjust.

And while some might say "I'll take the AFCCG loss!!!" Sure, so would I. But we don't have a top ten QB and the best RB AND WR in the NFL! So if that's the ceiling on his scheme with that talent (due to lack of ability to adjust), what is the ceiling with a rookie QB or stop gap guy and, at best, solid skill players?

Archived