This is Horror Talk

MacReady

• 1 month later...

For anybody looking for new horror movies, a site I use to get horror news just released a pretty damn good top 100 list of horror movies.  They ranked it, too.  It has some movies I definitely would NOT call horror on it (thrillers), and it has one or two movies that I call crap (Oculus).  It's tough to put together a list of 100 ranked horror movies though.   As far as actual horror movies and movies that are on the list, I would only make one single change as far as rankings, and I'd consider moving Phantasm a little higher than 100, but otherwise this was a very good list. 

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3459729/100-best-horror-movies-ever-made/

Edited by HorizontoZenith

Speaking of best horror movies, The Exorcist needs a remake.  I said it, and I mean it.  It is one of the best horror movies ever made, but it's also frickin old.  It's been ruined by its own success, too.  Everybody knows the vomit was split pea soup, and it takes the seriousness out of those scenes.  It has also been parodied and spoofed so often that the movie really only has one frightening scene anymore, the scene that was so damn creepy that nobody will spoof, and I don't even think it was in the original version.  The spider-walking scene with Regan walking down the stairs like a crab upside down stands as the one scene in a movie that scared me more than any other scene in any movie ever.  I remember my calf muscles tensed up so tight and I was literally paralyzed in fear momentarily.  I saw it for the first time when I was 16 or 17, but still... That scene was terrifying, and I think it was only added to the theatrical version.

The biggest reason The Exorcist needs a remake is that final image of the demon.  Not remotely scary, and it looks like a bad Halloween costume now.  I'm reading the book at work and there was a line in the book that described the demon with in inside out nose and an upside down face, and that description was creepier than any image in the movie.  With modern filmmaking, modern acting (Regan's mom was obnoxious in the movie and she almost ruins it), I think The Exorcist, if placed in proper hands, could terrify a whole new audience. 

It will never happen just because too many people are far too sensitive and insecure in their favorite movies and would get out torches and pitchforks if it was announced, but I'm always for remakes if the talent is there. 

HorizontoZenith, it's great to see another Phantasm fan out there.  That was one of my favorite horror movies of all time.  I saw it when it was 18 on tv, and it totally freaked me out.  I really liked the sequels too.  Anyway, here are my Top 5.

1) The Exorcist (1974) - Without a doubt, this is the most horrifying movie of all time.  The special effects look like they came out of the 70's, but they don't keep the movie from greatness. 

2) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - A lot of the sequels were lousy, but the original was incredibly scary.  I remember watching it on video in my second floor bedroom and actually feeling uncomfortable about the window behind me.  This was a great movie.

3) Phantasm (1979) - Like the Exorcist, it's an old movie so it's special effects won't have the drama for younger viewers who are used to what we have these days, but Phantasm was an incredible movie back in its day.  

4) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1984) - I first saw this movie at a drive-in theatre when I was in high school.  It was a double feature that also highlighted the original "The Hills Have Eyes."  Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of the first true horror movies I had ever seen, and it kept everyone in our car on the edge of our seats.  One of the highlights of the night was when another moviegoer went around to the drive-in lot scaring people in cars by starting up a chainsaw of his own.  Hahaha.  This is a true horror classic that started a whole genre of copycats because it was so good. 

5) The Evil Dead (1981) - Another movie with old special effects, but back when it first came out, this one was just amazing.  The old witch in the cellar is one of the creepiest villains of all time.  The action in this movie revved up almost right from the very start and didn't slow down until almost when the final credits started rolling.  When I watched it the first time about 35 years ago, it scared the heck out of me.

Bonus picks:

6) Drag Me To Hell (2009) - This one had some pretty good moments.  I enjoyed it enough to buy it on DVD after seeing it in the theatre, so that tells you how much I liked it.

7) The Unborn (2009) - Another one I saw on Netflix in the last couple of years.  This one has some creepy moments, and the fact that the always lovely Odette (Yustman) Annable was in the movie made it worth watching for me.  It is a pretty decent movie.

8) The Skeleton Key (2005) - Featuring the delectable Kate Hudson, this movie used the religion of VooDoo as it's theme.  It started out kind of slow, but as the movie wore on it started to get good.  The ending was very good.

9) 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - A surprisingly good movie.  John Goodman had an amazing performance, keeping me guessing the whole time whether he was actually a good guy or a bad guy.  The unexpected ending was also terrific. 

10) The Babysitter (2017) - At the age of 53, having seen human beings being sliced and diced on film in just about every way imaginable over the years, it has been a long time since I've actually been scared by a movie.  Even so, I really enjoyed this one.  Bella Thorne is always a highlight for me, so I had to check it out.  It won't scare anyone, but Bella's kiss with the Babysitter alone made it worth the price of admission.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I dont disagree, I would just be worried it would turn into a CGI fest, among other things they may halfass when making it.

That's the only thing I fear with remakes.  It was realized for The Thing.  If a movie can be considered a classic with 70's or 80's practical effects, you can do the same thing today, but better. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's the only thing I fear with remakes.  It was realized for The Thing.  If a movie can be considered a classic with 70's or 80's practical effects, you can do the same thing today, but better. 

Very true, and I would hope taking another classic they would treat it with such care. And you said you are reading the book, if youve looked into the "real life" events, there is still plenty of other parts they could venture into so its not a shot for shot remake, while enhancing the story we already have.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

I thought Drag Me to Hell was awful. I hated almost every moment of it. It felt more like a bad parody of a scary movie than an actual scary movie.

I agree with this a lot.  I was so hyped for this movie and so ready for it and when I watched it, I felt like I was being pranked. 

• Like 1

Just now, August4th said:

Halloween and hereditary are my most anticipated horror flicks this year

I'm so nervous about Hereditary.  I have never seen that much hype so quickly for a horror movie.  It Follows started getting crazy hype, The Witch started getting crazy hype, but no movie got as much hype as quickly and as out of nowhere as Hereditary.  Everybody saying it's the scariest movie ever made and all that... I'm not going to say I'm not excited, but I am being very cautiously optimistic about it. 

35 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm so nervous about Hereditary.  I have never seen that much hype so quickly for a horror movie.  It Follows started getting crazy hype, The Witch started getting crazy hype, but no movie got as much hype as quickly and as out of nowhere as Hereditary.  Everybody saying it's the scariest movie ever made and all that... I'm not going to say I'm not excited, but I am being very cautiously optimistic about it. 

I heard that more than once about Don't Breathe or whatever it was called. ?