2018 Free Agency

turtle28

The only positive would be the familiarity of QB and WR. 

I don't know how I can really give an example. Like I suggested, he gravitates to the sideline to avoid contact and extra yards needed. He has poor deep ball tracking. He short arms critical passes and is lousy at timing his jumps. He IS the Devil. 

Albert was playing for a new contract, and it showed. He did much of the things one expects of a pro WR last season. Once you lock him in, he will revert to his true self. A slack-arse UDFA that will make you pound your head into a wall as the only way to feel better. 

He should never be more than a WR3 (slot)  on a depleted depth chart.. and that is being kind.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

For me I would love to sign Andrew Norwell for the LG position and Brown and draft Da’Ron Payne at 13. 

I wouldn’t mind Norwell, but I’m leery of having to pay too much for a FA guard, especially when we have Scherff and he’s going to be expensive to re-sign in 2019 if we just give him the 5th year option and don’t re-sign him before it kicks in (which Scherff’s 5th year option is going to be around $10 mil too) or even if we wait until 2020, re-signing Scherff is going to be expensive. There’s no way I want to be in the position of paying $20 to 25 million a year for two guards, even if they’re both All-Pro caliber.

I’d rather sign a cheaper guard than Norwell - one in the $5 mil or slightly above range - and then sign a good or even great wr like Landry, Richardson, Alan Robinson (though he’s likely to be franchised), Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins... etc.

23 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

The only positive would be the familiarity of QB and WR. 

I don't know how I can really give an example. Like I suggested, he gravitates to the sideline to avoid contact and extra yards needed. He has poor deep ball tracking. He short arms critical passes and is lousy at timing his jumps. He IS the Devil. 

Albert was playing for a new contract, and it showed. He did much of the things one expects of a pro WR last season. Once you lock him in, he will revert to his true self. A slack-arse UDFA that will make you pound your head into a wall as the only way to feel better. 

He should never be more than a WR3 (slot)  on a depleted depth chart.. and that is being kind.

I appreciate the opinion and he’s certainly not my first choice as a free agent wr but what you are describing in most of this can be said about most wrs in the league. I mean, running out of bounds to avoid a hit is smart sometimes. Deep ball tracking can be improved -  Wilson did play at Georgia St after all where they run it almost all the time - and I don’t expect him to ever be Tyreke Hill, if you expect him to be that well, that would be one reason you were disappointed in his play.

I really don’t care that a 5’9 wr has shorter arms or has bad timing jumping up for balls because they’re small and most small wrs have short arms and don’t win vs corners jumping up for balls. What the Redskins need is speed at wr, because we don’t have much of it on offense and a shorter wrs strength is his ability to separate because of his speed and quickness. If Wilson could bring some of that next year to an offense that lacked it except for Crowder and Thompson, it would be welcome.

Your point about what he will or won’t be after he signs a new contract is purely a heresy opinion, you don’t have a crystal ball and have no clue if last year was just another step in his development and if 2018 will be another step in his development and he’ll be even better in 2018. 

10 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I’d much rather have Paul Richardson than pay a premium for Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson.

Richardson/Doctson/Crowder/(Healthy) Reed/Davis/Thompson would be a decent pass catching unit for a Jay Gruden offense led by a guy like Alex Smith.

Upgrading the run game is a must. For all the money we pay Bill Callahan, that unit needs to be fixed. 

This would probably be the smartest move. Signing Richardson would give us a young speedster opposite Doc who isn’t too short, Richardson is 6’.

Totally agree about your last point with the need to upgrade the running game and Callahan should be doing a better than he is, that’s what he gets paid for.

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

Paul Richardson is tempting, but does he navigate the sideline well to play outside? Don't know. I think he has more upside than Sanders. 

This is why Calvin Ridley is appealing because he will be cheaper and works the outside very well. 

I totally agree with this. Ridley should be considered as a first round pick as well. As you said, he’s cheaper and he works well on the outside, which we need. He’s a good route runner and reliable in every aspect you look for in a wr. He’d be a good pick for us.

Now, I’d rather us take a defender but if we re-sign Brown, sign Logan or Poe and don’t sign a FA WR except for re-signing Grant, I’d move Ridley up my wish list.

Im not totally against your thought of drafting Denzel Ward (he is a buckeye after all) or Josh Jackson who I also think is going to be a stud, but I’d rather go in another direction - especially in round 1. We re-signed Dunny because our coaches like him near as much as Bree - especially Dunny’s potential - and he’s younger, cheaper and has better hands than Bree.

And, we also drafted Moreau for a reason, despite his injury - which kept him going a round or so earlier in the draft - Moreau has late first round or 2nd round talent, speed, size and starter potential. 

So,  much in the same way this time last year many were worried if Fuller would develop into a good slot corner for us because he struggled some as a rookie, I’d rather give the 3 young corners we have in house - Dunny, Moreau & Holsey - a chance to develop into our starter opposite Norman and for Holsey our slot corner rather than to draft a corner in round 1, but if we filled WR, ILB and NT in free agency and Ward or Jackson are the top players on the board we should consider taking one of them.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t mind Norwell, but I’m leery of having to pay too much for a FA guard, especially when we have Scherff and he’s going to be expensive to re-sign in 2019 if we just give him the 5th year option and don’t re-sign him before it kicks in (which Scherff’s 5th year option is going to be around $10 mil too) or even if we wait until 2020, re-signing Scherff is going to be expensive. There’s no way I want to be in the position of paying $20 to 25 million a year for two guards, even if they’re both All-Pro caliber.

I’d rather sign a cheaper guard than Norwell - one in the $5 mil or slightly above range - and then sign a good or even great wr like Landry, Richardson, Alan Robinson (though he’s likely to be franchised), Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins... etc.

I want drafted OL. Dont like free agent OL considering they tend to float their price more than it should be. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I appreciate the opinion and he’s certainly not my first choice as a free agent wr but what you are describing in most of this can be said about most wrs in the league. I mean, running out of bounds to avoid a hit is smart sometimes. Deep ball tracking can be improved -  Wilson did play at Georgia St after all where they run it almost all the time - and I don’t expect him to ever be Tyreke Hill, if you expect him to be that well, that would be one reason you were disappointed in his play.

I really don’t care that a 5’9 wr has shorter arms or has bad timing jumping up for balls because they’re small and most small wrs have short arms and don’t win vs corners jumping up for balls. What the Redskins need is speed at wr, because we don’t have much of it on offense and a shorter wrs strength is his ability to separate because of his speed and quickness. If Wilson could bring some of that next year to an offense that lacked it except for Crowder and Thompson, it would be welcome.

Your point about what he will or won’t be after he signs a new contract is purely a heresy opinion, you don’t have a crystal ball and have no clue if last year was just another step in his development and if 2018 will be another step in his development and he’ll be even better in 2018. 

Well, okay then. Duly noted. 

What kind of contract would you be pleased in seeing the team sign him to?

If all you want is some fast guy to be a decoy, just sign a bunch of UDFAs that run sub 4.4s and save yourself the 2+? mil per yr contract that Wilson may get. 

4 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Well, okay then. Duly noted. 

What kind of contract would you be pleased in seeing the team sign him to?

If all you want is some fast guy to be a decoy, just sign a bunch of UDFAs that run sub 4.4s and save yourself the 2+? mil per yr contract that Wilson may get. 

I sense the passive aggressiveness in your post and some sarcasm.

I wouldn’t give him a large deal, probably something similar to what I’d want to re-sign Ryan Grant for, a million a year, perhaps a little bit more.

I’m not even advocating for him to be the first option for the Redskins in free agency. All I’m saying is that he’s a better deep wr than the Redskins currently have except for Doctson and Doctson is good for different reasons; his size and leaping ability.

I’m not trying to make Wilson out to be something he’s not. I’m just saying that he COULD be someone we’d bring in because of his chemistry with Smith and to compete with Grant, Maurice Harris, Robert Davis and a rookie we would draft but hopefully we sign a better wr.

I’m definitely not advocating that the Redskins settle for Albert Wilson as their answer to the starting WR vacancy opposite Doctson. I’m merely stating that he’ll likely improve with another year of development, not revert back to what he was 2 or 3 years ago.

You think he’s a lazy bum and that fine, you’re entitled to your opinion. I think he’s a hard worker that will get better but he’s never going to be more than just an ok wr. I’ll agree with you on that’s last point.

If breeland does not come back.

i can see skins doing a simple one year deal with Vontae Davis. From around the area and had a downnyear due to injuries .

he shouldn't cost a lot and should be healthy come OTA. He be good to compete with dunbar and the other corners not names Norman.

plus his brother here 

10 hours ago, mike23md said:

Emmanuel Sanders, sure. Everyone else - no. 

No on Watkins. 

Paul Richardson is tempting, but does he navigate the sideline well to play outside? Don't know. I think he has more upside than Sanders. 

This is why Calvin Ridley is appealing because he will be cheaper and works the outside very well. 

Good post dude I agree 

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

If breeland does not come back.

i can see skins doing a simple one year deal with Vontae Davis. From around the area and had a downnyear due to injuries .

he shouldn't cost a lot and should be healthy come OTA. He be good to compete with dunbar and the other corners not names Norman.

plus his brother here 

Sounds like a good idea. He’d be good insurance for Dunny & Moreau incase  neither of them develop into what we hope they will this season.

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Lol AD wants to play three more seasons . He did show he can still carry the ball but he isn't in his prime.

idk what the skins will do at RB .

The only way AD plays 3 more seasons is if he’s willing to take less money than he even made this year and if he’s willing to be more of a team player and share carries. He had a horrible attitude when he was in New Orleans and he’s frankly lucky he that David Johnson got hurt and he was able to go to Az and have a decent season.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The only way AD plays 3 more seasons is if he’s willing to take less money than he even made this year and if he’s willing to be more of a team player and share carries. He had a horrible attitude when he was in New Orleans and he’s frankly lucky he that David Johnson got hurt and he was able to go to Az and have a decent season.

I wanna draft a RB. I'm concerned about AD injury . I'd pass on him .

Archived