2018 Free Agency

turtle28

7 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Mark Barron might get released from the Rams . Maybe he can play ILB?

I’d sign him to something cheap and have him compete. He could be a dime ILB for us. I don’t think he’s someone you want starting at ILB on run downs - which is why the Rams are releasing him, and he’s overpaid - but if we ask him to cover TEs & RBs out of the backfield on 3rd and long he could be an upgrade over our Foster and Brown who frankly suck in coverage.

7 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

I think we should draft a wideout now .

This FA class for wideout is to risky . 

Free agency comes first. If we don’t sign someone who’s an upgrade over Grant/Harris then turn to the draft but I don’t think it’s hard to find an upgrade over those two in free agency and re-sign Grant to have them all 3 compete for the starting spot opposite Doctson. 

Once we stop playing games with the Kirk Cousins situation we can really look at Free agency. The first decision is do we sign anybody or bank the 3rd round pick in 19 we will get for Cousins leaving. Once we decide that we can make rational arguements as to who we could/should sign. 

If we decide to get into free agency we should do it in a big way as we have a window with Smith that is fast closing. Sign the best WR, the best pass rusher, the best NT, best guard or tackle)  and of course re-sign Zack Brown and the big fella number 79 who God only knows why Gruden isnt starting him at any position on the OL. . Im ok letting Breeland walk as he is too inconsistent and I want to see that Florida convereted WR get his chance. He actually knows how to get interceptions(like fuller did to) unlike any of our other corners or safeties. And we need a guy to get us some INT's. 

In the draft- get the best guys at RB, DT, and playmakers in special teams- somebody who can actually return a punt for a TD

It looks like we are in a Win now approach- so go all in. No more being happy with 8-8 or 7-9. Make a run and if we advance a game into the playoffs we have been successful. We fail, then we clean house and build over. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Free agency comes first. If we don’t sign someone who’s an upgrade over Grant/Harris then turn to the draft but I don’t think it’s hard to find an upgrade over those two in free agency and re-sign Grant to have them all 3 compete for the starting spot opposite Doctson. 

I disliked Grant but I see smith using him well. Plus Grant came up on big third down situations and he will be cheap .

Harris might not ever get a chance which is sad.

Free agent wideouts dude how I see happening .

Sammie Watskins - Returns to Rams.injury prone anyway .

jarvis Landry- to expensive and we hate expensive players . Plus can he play outside?

Allen robinson- Jaguars wanna franchise tag him. Plus he had one good year and had a big injury .

Macklin or Wallace if released - macklin knows smith but has had injuries . Had a bad year with the Ravens but only 29. Wallace is a speedy vet but going 32 . He's averages 500-800 yards tho.

Michael Crabtree ( when released)- hes clutch . He's only 29 and he had two good years with Oakland. Also familiar with Smith and skins had interest last time. Could be someone we pick up. Has a bad attitude tho on the field . He's not blazing speed but had good hands .

Dez Bryant (possible release )- dez was one considered elite when tony romo was the QB. He isn't someone fans would like here . He's only 29 and his chemistry with Prescott sucks . Dez does have very good hands and makes very touch catches . Excellent on endzone fades. He been a bit injured and had an attitude . 

Tavon Austin- he's super fast and was suppose to be an elite slot guy . He would only come to Washington if he's here for just kick returns and punt returns . I think that's worth looking into .

Emmanuel Saunders and Demarious Thomas- have been rumored as cap casualties . With Denver looking to free up some space , one of these guys will be avalivle . Both 30 but has had a down season last year . Will skins be interested ?.

all and all I rather draft Ridley and start with someone freash .

On 2/5/2018 at 10:16 PM, Danger said:

You guys are a likable bunch, hoping you guys get back on the straight and narrow of football soon. Dallas suks.

Appreciate the well wishes (it must be nice being in your forum right now ...).

So, keep in mind, if the Redskins go for a big name like Jarvis Landry or Dez Bryant, that will likely match up with Cousins and negate the compensatory pick.

Because I'm feeling masochistic, there is one possible sensible silver-lining reason to franchise Kirk and then release him a couple of weeks into free agency: it would force the Redskins to sit on their hands for the opening of the period. That would cause the big names to slip away and then force the front office to make a bunch of decisions with the leftovers at cheaper rates. Of course, that means letting Zach Brown walk as well as losing out on really improving the roster. But maybe that's for the best?

But that's about it. Like @Doc Draper said, the "tag or no tag" decision needs to be dealt with first.

46 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, keep in mind, if the Redskins go for a big name like Jarvis Landry or Dez Bryant, that will likely match up with Cousins and negate the compensatory pick.

Because I'm feeling masochistic, there is one possible sensible silver-lining reason to franchise Kirk and then release him a couple of weeks into free agency: it would force the Redskins to sit on their hands for the opening of the period. That would cause the big names to slip away and then force the front office to make a bunch of decisions with the leftovers at cheaper rates. Of course, that means letting Zach Brown walk as well as losing out on really improving the roster. But maybe that's for the best?

But that's about it. Like @Doc Draper said, the "tag or no tag" decision needs to be dealt with first.

Don't worry I doubt we go after Landry or Bryant . 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

There's an article and discussion over on Hogshaven about whether fans want the Redskins to re-sign Spencer Long.. where to play him if so.. and for how much. 

Any thoughts here? 

If we re-sign him it would be to play LG. Then we acquire a backup Center (who can play G) with Chase as our starter

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Jarvis Landry is better than anyone we'll draft in the third round. 

My question is, can we use Tavon Austin like the Chiefs used Tyreke Hill? I think you can. Austin has 4.3 speed, just send him on mostly deep routes, run the occasional screen or short pass to him to see if he’s can get yac and break a tackle on the corner, and run jet sweeps and reverses with him. He can do kickoffs and punt returns so Crowder doesn’t have to anymore. I’d like to sign him but not to anything big but that’s only if we don’t get:

Crabtree, Landry, Maclin, Robinson, Sanders, Thomas, Watkins or Wallace

Archived