Titans Head Coaching Search 2018

KingTitan

13 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Which is what we run now a hybrid defense ??‍♂️ This is what I’ve been saying why switch to a 4-3 our defense is better when you can disguise things an attack from different looks 

It is much more 3-4 when we are in base, especially with Williams on the field. In our nickel we are basically in a 4-2 with Orakpo and Morgan at DE, usually standing though, so it doesn't make much difference either way. It is a hybrid to an extent I guess, but in our base I don't see it that much. I don't see the 4-3 over/under looks often, granted thats usually not what I'm looking for when I watch the game. I dont think I've ever seen just the "traditional" 4-3 package.

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It is much more 3-4 when we are in base, especially with Williams on the field. In our nickel we are basically in a 4-2 with Orakpo and Morgan at DE, usually standing though, so it doesn't make much difference either way. It is a hybrid to an extent I guess, but in our base I don't see it that much. I don't see the 4-3 over/under looks often, granted thats usually not what I'm looking for when I watch the game. I dont think I've ever seen just the "traditional" 4-3 package.

That’s a 4-3 under it looks like a 4-2 because the end/LB is up on the line 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=etHCevGb&id=CA7006E91A9DD6C0E139B8BEF54B92E630066D6C&thid=OIP.etHCevGbfksYn2dCIyg4IQHaEO&q=4+3+under+defense&simid=608044397640748050&selectedIndex=6&PC=APPL

ex look at wade philips base defense he runs a hybrid 3-4 same defense the Texans, jags, falcons, SEA & Denver & NE runs though NE More heavy on 4-3 now due to personnel 

5 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

That’s a 4-3 under it looks like a 4-2 because the end/LB is up on the line 

No it's a 2-4-5 nickel that I'm talking about. 

I'm sure all 3-4 teams play a 4-3 in the sense of the 4-3 that Carroll's Seahawks made popular, but we do not play a 4-3 in the sense of what we will see from the Eagles and Vikings this week.

I don't really think we have the personnel for the 4-3 under as our base. Taking Jacksonville as an example, Casey can fill in for Jackson, but we do not have another rusher who can play Campbell's role as a rusher. Johnson and Jones are both better suited to play a 1 tech in that defense.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

No it's a 2-4-5 nickel that I'm talking about. 

I'm sure all 3-4 teams play a 4-3 in the sense of the 4-3 that Carroll's Seahawks made popular, but we do not play a 4-3 in the sense of what we will see from the Eagles and Vikings this week.

I don't really think we have the personnel for the 4-3 under as our base. Taking Jacksonville as an example, Casey can fill in for Jackson, but we do not have another rusher who can play Campbell's role as a rusher. Johnson and Jones are both better suited to play a 1 tech in that defense.

Oh I see what your saying. You’re right & I agree I prefer we get someone like Muhammad Wilkerson this offseason that can rush at the 5tech like Campbell & we can also kick him inside I actually think DaQuon will be a better NT than DE RUSHING from inside & eating up double teams 

15 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

I am not 100% sure on how this would have to work, someone else may have more knowledge on that but I know one idea that has been tossed around is attaching associate or assistant HC to his title as OC.

Local radio interviewed someone from LA and suggested that McVay wouldn't hold back someone looking to improve themselves.  So if he was given the chance to call plays and maybe added another title like Asst. HC. I wouldn't think McVay would hold him back. Just a matter of would he want to accept that. Would his quickest path to HC be to say in LA or make a move.

24 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Oh I see what your saying. You’re right & I agree I prefer we get someone like Muhammad Wilkerson this offseason that can rush at the 5tech like Campbell & we can also kick him inside I actually think DaQuon will be a better NT than DE RUSHING from inside & eating up double teams 

I've even seen us in an actual 4-2-5 wide 9 with Orakpo and Morgan's hands in the dirt so I guess we can be considered somewhat hybrid, but I would just rather move back to a more traditional 4-3 like Schwartz is using with the Eagles. Finding a guy like Calias Campbell is hard to do. I would like to see a traditional 4-3 base with 4-2 nickel and 3-3-5 sam nickel packages used a lot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Local radio interviewed someone from LA and suggested that McVay wouldn't hold back someone looking to improve themselves.  So if he was given the chance to call plays and maybe added another title like Asst. HC. I wouldn't think McVay would hold him back. Just a matter of would he want to accept that. Would his quickest path to HC be to say in LA or make a move.

That is an interesting thing you bring up. You would think if he comes here and sets the world on fire with the offense, his path to HC would be very quick. On the other side, if he flops, it will likely set him back a few years in his HC path. Not sure what staying in LA does for his path because he will continue to work with a great offensive mind and HC (at least it appears after one season) in McVay, but how much will not calling plays, at least so far, hinder him in the HC search?

It is a good point at McVay not holding someone back. I would imagine it would be hard for him to continue to find good coaches if he prevented them from taking jobs that are better for them. Will be something interesting to watch as this all unfolds.

48 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I've even seen us in an actual 4-2-5 wide 9 with Orakpo and Morgan's hands in the dirt so I guess we can be considered somewhat hybrid, but I would just rather move back to a more traditional 4-3 like Schwartz is using with the Eagles. Finding a guy like Calias Campbell is hard to do. I would like to see a traditional 4-3 base with 4-2 nickel and 3-3-5 sam nickel packages used a lot.

I gotcha, but I don’t like the 4-3 nor do I like a basic 3-4 I like mixing it up being flexible disguising coverages. I honestly think though Muhammad Wilkerson can be that guy if it’s true he shut it down with the jets cause he wanted out. He’s 2yrs removed from being the 2nd or 3rd best defensive lineman behind Watt & Donald. 12.5 sacks at a 5tech ain’t easy & he can rush inside & out.

23 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I gotcha, but I don’t like the 4-3 nor do I like a basic 3-4 I like mixing it up being flexible disguising coverages. I honestly think though Muhammad Wilkerson can be that guy if it’s true he shut it down with the jets cause he wanted out. He’s 2yrs removed from being the 2nd or 3rd best defensive lineman behind Watt & Donald. 12.5 sacks at a 5tech ain’t easy & he can rush inside & out.

Even if he did shut it down on purpose for that reason, which I don't believe, I don't think that buys into what we've been preaching in the lockerroom here. It'd have to be a cheap deal. 

I feel like the LBs that are better suited for the 4-3 are better suited in coverage, and if we can find a SLB like Barr it allows us to be multiple with our pressure packages as well.

• Like 1

Jets fired John Morton. Haven't looked too much into it, but saw that at some point, Bowles accused Morton of being too pass oriented and not ignoring the run game.

I'd like to bring Morton in, whether as an OC or at a position level, he has experience as a WR coach. All things considered, I loved how the Jets looked when McCown was playing, especially their passing game.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Even if he did shut it down on purpose for that reason, which I don't believe, I don't think that buys into what we've been preaching in the lockerroom here. It'd have to be a cheap deal. 

I feel like the LBs that are better suited for the 4-3 are better suited in coverage, and if we can find a SLB like Barr it allows us to be multiple with our pressure packages as well.

Agreed, but think about Randy Moss & Corey Dillion guys that quitted on their teams & the patriots took a chance on em cause they felt they had a strong enough locker room. It’s clear he’s done quit on the jets, missing meetings being late to practice the guy play fail off & he's never had a career threatening injury of any sort