NFL News & Notes

Leader

I don't know why people are laughing at the Niners.

So they messed up on Lance. They also got out of all the financial responsibility for him, have a franchise QB who is playing on a 7th round pick contract, have probably the best or a top 5 backup in the NFL and... You know, they just happen to have a:

Franchise TE
Franchise RB
Franchise WR
Franchise WR/RB/X/Deebo
Franchise DL
Franchise EDGE

As well as elite players at almost every single level of the defense that aren't described above.

They also added Ferrell, who has top 10 talent and is likely going to have a resurgence in a new role.

The Niners literally have the best team in football and that's almost impossible to deny as far as overall talent.

Getting a 4th round pick for Lance is basically theft on their part.

You're looking at a player who has 19 more pass attempts than Jordan Love when he was supposed to be the starter both years. Getting a 4th round pick for that is pretty incredible.

And from the Cowboys perspective it's also a steal. I don't know the story on Trey's personality, so I'm guessing there has to be something up with that. Some sort of Josh Rosen situation maybe. The Cowboys might be the team for such a personality if that's the case.

31 minutes ago, MacReady said:

You're looking at a player who has 19 more pass attempts than Jordan Love when he was supposed to be the starter both years. Getting a 4th round pick for that is pretty incredible

I was talking to a 49er fan yesterday about Lance being traded (before it was announced). I said to my friend I thought he might go for a third - he went for a 4th. I'd say that it was his LACK of playing time (at least in part due to his broken ankle) that made another team think he was worth trading for (unrealised potential and all that).

Not sure about Aiyuk as a franchise WR. I can see Deebo, what with the versatility he brings. Can't disagree with the rest. Swap Aiyuk out for ILB Warner.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

I don't know why people are laughing at the Niners.

So they messed up on Lance. They also got out of all the financial responsibility for him, have a franchise QB who is playing on a 7th round pick contract, have probably the best or a top 5 backup in the NFL and... You know, they just happen to have a:

Franchise TE
Franchise RB
Franchise WR
Franchise WR/RB/X/Deebo
Franchise DL
Franchise EDGE

As well as elite players at almost every single level of the defense that aren't described above.

They also added Ferrell, who has top 10 talent and is likely going to have a resurgence in a new role.

The Niners literally have the best team in football and that's almost impossible to deny as far as overall talent.

Getting a 4th round pick for Lance is basically theft on their part.

You're looking at a player who has 19 more pass attempts than Jordan Love when he was supposed to be the starter both years. Getting a 4th round pick for that is pretty incredible.

And from the Cowboys perspective it's also a steal. I don't know the story on Trey's personality, so I'm guessing there has to be something up with that. Some sort of Josh Rosen situation maybe. The Cowboys might be the team for such a personality if that's the case.

They gave up 3 - 1sts and a 3rd for the guy and got a 4th back. Imagine how dominant that might have been had they kept all of those picks. 

Winning the lottery with a 7th round quarterback aside, that was a dumb move on draft day and it looks even dumber now. The Cowboys and I'll bet half the league had second round grade on Lance. He simply has not played enough football.

As of today you want to crown them Super Bowl Champs based on their rosters. I'd just as soon let the season play out before we crown their ***! 

IF YOU WANT TO CROWN THEM THEN CROWN THEIR ASS - green - quickmeme

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

At this point, pretty much any trade was a good trade from the SF side of things.  Lance was clearly done as a Niner, so It was time to cut their losses and move on.  Dumping what's left of his salary was a win for SF.

14 million in dead cap money over the next two years. Not to mention the draft capital. Missing on quarterbacks in the top 5 of the draft is expensive. 

They completely mismanaged this situation. He was clearly a kid with talent and not enough experience. He needed to sit behind Jimmy G for 2 years before he saw the field. 

Had they not dicked around with Jimmy G prior to last season and rolled with him as the starter Lance may have been closer to being an NFL QB this preseason. 

Complete malpractice by Shanahan and Lynch. The good news is a lot of team make the same stupid mistakes with young QBs. 

Edited by Old Guy

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They gave up 3 - 1sts and a 3rd for the guy and got a 4th back. Imagine how dominant that might have been had they kept all of those picks. 

Winning the lottery with a 7th round quarterback aside, that was a dumb move on draft day and it looks even dumber now. The Cowboys and I'll bet half the league had second round grade on Lance. He simply has not played enough football.

As of today you want to crown them Super Bowl Champs based on their rosters. I'd just as soon let the season play out before we crown their ***! 

The 49ers also screwed up with high picks like Reuben Foster (31st pick 2017) and Solomon Thomas (3rd overall pick 2017) and never kept a stud like DeForest Buckner (7th overall pick, 2016) after his rookie contract. It's kind of amazing they are as good as they are, despite their high-profile miscues.

It's been a bit of a cruel summer for the Denver Broncos' wide receivers, and the bad injury luck at the position continued Thursday when Jerry Jeudy was carted off the practice field with a right hamstring injury.

"It's a hamstring," Broncos coach Sean Payton confirmed after practice. "We'll get an MRI and see where he's at with it."

Jeudy is expected to miss at least several weeks, multiple team sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38251835/broncos-wr-jerry-jeudy-carted-hamstring-injury

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

14 million in dead cap money over the next two years. Not to mention the draft capital. Missing on quarterbacks in the top 5 of the draft is expensive. 

They completely mismanaged this situation. He was clearly a kid with talent and not enough experience. He needed to sit behind Jimmy G for 2 years before he saw the field. 

Had they not dicked around with Jimmy G prior to last season and rolled with him as the starter Lance may have been closer to being an NFL QB this preseason. 

Complete malpractice by Shanahan and Lynch. The good news is a lot of team make the same stupid mistakes with young QBs. 

Not getting where you are coming from with this take.  Lance sat behind Garoppalo in 2021, which was I think we both agree was the correct call.  He was named the started in 2022, and promptly broke his ankle.  Where was the malpractice?  You can argue that Lance should have sat 2 years rather than 1, but that is a debatable point at best.  It certainly doesn't rise to the level of malpractice from a player management perspective.  If there was malpractice here, it was in the talent evaluation process.  This ranks up there with the all-time misses in pre-draft player evaluation.  By all appearances, Lance simply isn't very good at football.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

"It's a hamstring," Broncos coach Sean Payton confirmed after practice. "We'll get an MRI and see where he's at with it."

Jeudy is expected to miss at least several weeks, multiple team sources told ESPN.

There’s a pulled hamstring muscle and then there’s a pulling it off the bone hamstring injury.

That didn’t sound too good for Jeudy.

57 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

There’s a pulled hamstring muscle and then there’s a pulling it off the bone hamstring injury.

That didn’t sound too good for Jeudy.

Hmmmm...yeah. That's not good.
This was dated news when I posted it.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not getting where you are coming from with this take.  Lance sat behind Garoppalo in 2021, which was I think we both agree was the correct call.  He was named the started in 2022, and promptly broke his ankle.  Where was the malpractice?  You can argue that Lance should have sat 2 years rather than 1, but that is a debatable point at best.  It certainly doesn't rise to the level of malpractice from a player management perspective.  If there was malpractice here, it was in the talent evaluation process.  This ranks up there with the all-time misses in pre-draft player evaluation.  By all appearances, Lance simply isn't very good at football.

Should not have been named the starter. Jimmy G took them to the NFC Championship and Lance was no where near the QB Garoppolo was at that point. He should have sat another year and learned from the Vet. The kid was so raw he needed to sit and watch at least two years.