NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Niners are set up for a ten year run. Eagles are set up to fail.

You had me until here. The 9ers have offensive line troubles and they will get worse as Trent Williams is about at his end. Let's see how they protect Purdy this year, he's not very big and Sam Darnold is not the answer. 

Trent Williams goes down, the 9ers offense is over. They would be starting 5 JAGs on the offensive line. Banks might be slightly better than a JAG, but not by much.

Defensively, they look wicked, no doubt. Better get Bosa his money. I have faith Shanahan is great in regular season and will find a way to lose in the playoffs. He was the Falcons coordinator in the epic fail Super Bowl. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You had me until here. The 9ers have offensive line troubles and they will get worse as Trent Williams is about at his end. Let's see how they protect Purdy this year, he's not very big and Sam Darnold is not the answer. 

Trent Williams goes down, the 9ers offense is over. They would be starting 5 JAGs on the offensive line. Banks might be slightly better than a JAG, but not by much.

Defensively, they look wicked, no doubt. Better get Bosa his money. I have faith Shanahan is great in regular season and will find a way to lose in the playoffs. He was the Falcons coordinator in the epic fail Super Bowl. 

We're doing the Adrian Peterson is overrated because he might get hurt argument?

If Trent Williams gets hurt is tantamount to if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its butt on the ground.

Trent Williams 93
Aaron Banks 62.7
Jake Brendel 64.9
Spencer Burford 49.3
Colton Mckivitz 69.3

Jordan Mailata 76.5
Landon Dickerson 67.3
Jason Kelce 88.3
Cam Jurgens 60.1
Lane Johnson 83.2

The Niners have one OL about to retire. The Eagles have two. The Niners have 2 more years of Purdy on a 7th round pick contract and the Eagles are paying Hurts market setting value.

If Spencer Burford has even a modest second year leap, the disparity between the offensive lines is not as great as you suggest it is.

And in only 5 starts, Brock Purdy had only 9 less touchdown passes than Hurts.

Brock Purdy is a franchise QB. 8.1 Yards per attempt is absolutely franchise level rookie production. And at 67.1%... He's the biggest steal at QB since Brady.

Different offenses require different offensive lines. The Eagles have that offensive line because the very nature of their offense depends on an elite offensive line. The Niners and Shanahan are creative enough offensively to get by. The Eagles are not.

In fact, if it  wasn't for the recent change to assisting the ball carrier... I'm not sure the Eagles make that Super Bowl competitive.

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

We're doing the Adrian Peterson is overrated because he might get hurt argument?

If Trent Williams gets hurt is tantamount to if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its butt on the ground.

Trent Williams 93
Aaron Banks 62.7
Jake Brendel 64.9
Spencer Burford 49.3
Colton Mckivitz 69.3

Jordan Mailata 76.5
Landon Dickerson 67.3
Jason Kelce 88.3
Cam Jurgens 60.1
Lane Johnson 83.2

The Niners have one OL about to retire. The Eagles have two. The Niners have 2 more years of Purdy on a 7th round pick contract and the Eagles are paying Hurts market setting value.

If Spencer Burford has even a modest second year leap, the disparity between the offensive lines is not as great as you suggest it is.

And in only 5 starts, Brock Purdy had only 9 less touchdown passes than Hurts.

Brock Purdy is a franchise QB. 8.1 Yards per attempt is absolutely franchise level rookie production. And at 67.1%... He's the biggest steal at QB since Brady.

Different offenses require different offensive lines. The Eagles have that offensive line because the very nature of their offense depends on an elite offensive line. The Niners and Shanahan are creative enough offensively to get by. The Eagles are not.

In fact, if it  wasn't for the recent change to assisting the ball carrier... I'm not sure the Eagles make that Super Bowl competitive.

I'm not arguing for the Eagles. I never mentioned anything about the Eagles in my response. I agreed with everything you wrote until the last line, which I Bolded.  I'm arguing the 9ers have a short window like most good teams in the NFL. Their situation is as precarious as every other NFL team. 

Their offensive line is not very good. I don't need to see a bunch of ratings, I see it with my own eyes. McKivitz is going to be a major issue at RT. Buford sucks and Brendel's rating is way too high. Banks is higher because of who is next to him. It makes his job easier. 

7 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jace Sternberger released by Buffalo. 

Before I state this, I'll admit my memory may be fuzzy or I make this up.

Wasn't he sort of a turd of a teammate? If not, I'd not be opposed to bringing him back. Also, can he play special teams? 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Before I state this, I'll admit my memory may be fuzzy or I make this up.

Wasn't he sort of a turd of a teammate? If not, I'd not be opposed to bringing him back. Also, can he play special teams? 

I just remember that I hated the pick. Between Kyler Fackrell and Jace Sternberger you’d think that Mike Sherman was drafting our players. 

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

Given his lack of proficiency at blocking, he doesn't strike me as the type who would excel at ST. He has some receiving skills. 

Maybe his blocking has improved. I think he's an upgrade to Allen at this point who would be better served having a year on the practice squad. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm arguing the 9ers have a short window like most good teams in the NFL. Their situation is as precarious as every other NFL team. 

I'm honestly not convinced the 49ers window is open this year.  I just don't see Purdy as a top 25 quarterback in the NFL.  He was a nice story last year of a replacement level talent with moxie who was elevated by the guys around him and the scheme, but it's really the same story we saw with Gardner Minshew coming in after Nick Foles got hurt in 2019 and playing very well for a rookie.  The big difference is that the 49ers have much better pieces on offense around the quarterback.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Musgrave > Kincaid

Yeah, the experts sure seemed to agree with you on draft day. Musgrave isn't near the player that Kincaid is. I do hope he turns into a stud but that's a statement no one in their right mind was saying going into the draft.

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

Yeah, the experts sure seemed to agree with you on draft day. Musgrave isn't near the player that Kincaid is. I do hope he turns into a stud but that's a statement no one in their right mind was saying going into the draft.

Lance Zierlein agrees with me. He wrote an article last week saying Musgrave was his highest rated TE in the draft. You really don't know what the, 'experts,' think other than Buffalo. 

Musgrave > Kincaid

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Lance Zierlein agrees with me. He wrote an article last week saying Musgrave was his highest rated TE in the draft. You really don't know what the, 'experts,' think other than Buffalo. 

Musgrave > Kincaid

One guy compared to everyone else. Cherry-picking with your homerism. Congrats, bud. In one game he had more yards than Musgrave the entire pre-season with his eye-popping 15 yards a game.