NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Except it isn't.

It absolutely is. Jackson was an ok passer, but even now he's still not great, and if pressured, not even good.

Fields is an outright BAD passer. He makes Tebow look competent.

And to go further... I really don't care how well a QB runs. The arm comes first and anything after is just a bonus. High end running QB's willingness to use their legs is more often a detriment than an asset.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, spilltray said:

And to go further... I really don't care how well a QB runs. The arm comes first and anything after is just a bonus. High end running QB's willingness to use their legs is more often a detriment than an asset.

Especially when those legs get him injured which will happen when he exposes himself to the hits a running back takes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Especially when those legs get him injured which will happen when he exposes himself to the hits a running back takes.

That's half of it. The other is looking to run first instead of letting the play develop.

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is a bit disingenuous. Seattle has a fair amount of talent enough to trick you into thinking a guy like Smith is viable, but that will wax and wane and he's not going to elevate anyone around him. Just because he's going to look like a serviceable starter doesn't change the fact that he's not going to be anything more than serviceable. That's not good enough unless your offense is absolutely stacked, and then giving that guy a mid level starting QB contract is likely to cause the rest of the roster to wane.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

This is a bit disingenuous. Seattle has a fair amount of talent enough to trick you into thinking a guy like Smith is viable, but that will wax and wane and he's not going to elevate anyone around him. Just because he's going to look like a serviceable starter doesn't change the fact that he's not going to be anything more than serviceable. That's not good enough unless your offense is absolutely stacked, and then giving that guy a mid level starting QB contract is likely to cause the rest of the roster to wane.

I didnt get lost in the gray areas, nuances and "Yeah...but's" of it all. His basic premise (which I believe is accurate) is that young QBs can improve...from graveyard dwellers to competent starters / backups. I dont think anybody's projecting stardom for either Darnold or Fields - but they're not dead ends yet. That's it. Nothing more compelling than that IMO.

• Like 1

NFL Rumors -   Former Chargers Austin Ekeler said the Commanders' pitch was to come in and be part of the two-back backfield with Brian Robinson. "That was the opportunity and environment I wanted to be in."

///

Now about that QB..........

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I didnt get lost in the gray areas, nuances and "Yeah...but's" of it all. His basic premise (which I believe is accurate) is that young QBs can improve...from graveyard dwellers to competent starters / backups. I dont think anybody's projecting stardom for either Darnold or Fields - but they're not dead ends yet. That's it. Nothing more compelling than that IMO.

Competent starters just keep you in purgatory.

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Competent starters just keep you in purgatory.

Not everybody needs to be a star and in large part it depends on what they're surrounded with - which, often can be contributing factors to the player not developing properly: Bad coaching staffs or multiple staff / scheme changes, bad cap situations leading to roster instability, etc, etc, etc.

Darnold was a rookie in 2018 and MN represents his fourth team / coaching staff - and - it seems unlikely he's gonna be QB1 there for long either. They appear to be looking to draft a QB this year. 

Which is a shame for Darnold because he's got a decent offensive coaching staff and some weapons. Best case for him would he actually show he's got the good to make things work.  

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not everybody needs to be a star and in large part it depends on what they're surrounded with - which, often can be contributing factors to the player not developing properly: Bad coaching staffs or multiple staff / scheme changes, bad cap situations leading to roster instability, etc, etc, etc.

Darnold was a rookie in 2018 and MN represents his fourth team / coaching staff - and - it seems unlikely he's gonna be QB1 there for long either. They appear to be looking to draft a QB this year. 

Which is a shame for Darnold because he's got a decent offensive coaching staff and some weapons. Best case for him would he actually show he's got the good to make things work.  

The problem is paying that guy negatively impacts that roster around them. A QB worth paying even a Geno Smith contract needs to be better than adequate.