NFL News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

Yep, dropping the weight is fine as long as the majority of the body weight hits the ground first and not the legs.

This video explains it pretty clearly (hopefully it works for people outside Australia)

What is and isn't a hip drop tackle | NRL.com

It just doesn't seem like that's a straight comp. 90% of the time the players already engaged in those clips and things are moving much slower in all the clips than the examples you see in the NFL. 

I can appreciate that you'd ideally want to see people's hips hit the ground instead of the back of an ankle but I don't think there's malicious intent. Like in the NFL you can't grab the horse collar area like it looks is prevalent in rugby, which would help in controlling your body weight. 

11 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic you seemed to come pretty hard sorry.......that video that OZ posted really showed the garbage of tackle. And the others in that video that were considered not to be were close. But really as a defensive player is tacking a player from behind or from the side wrap up and don't drop the hip you can lean on the guy bring him down just don't roll over and throw your *** on the guys legs. As the Dplayer drags behind it's his job to get to the legs to bring the player down, you can do that with your arms not with your ***.

Proper tackling should never cause the defense issues, crappy tackling, diving and stupid launching causes more issues. 

I think the statement from the NFLPA didn't say we love the hip drop, it said the don't like the change due to the already bad and tough calls already, confusion as to what is a real hip drop and what is a real tackle and fans who merely say they are paid millions their ACL's and knees don't matter toughen up. 

Wrap up and what though. OK I've caught you, from behind so I've gotta be cruising as well, now I've got my arms around you at the waist. But I have to keep my balance because if I lose my footings good chance I'm landing on your ankles. So they just drag you for an extra 10 yards anyways?

If you lean I'm going to lean back. If I'm a TE at 250 and you're a sub 200 CB, I've got a pretty significant strength advantage. So you just have to ride me til help arrives? I'd agree if all the players were some mandated size.

You can say the D Player has to get to the legs but hitting below the knees is going to be a penalty too. The one dude who took out Hock was branded a dirty player even though that was really his only course of action.

The players are chiming in. They think the rule is garbage

It's also been talked about on the McAfee show with players sporadically through the year as it came to the forefront of the media's attention.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Montgomery was an excellent WR who was forced to play RB. 

I feel like it was more along the lines of he was biding his time, KILLED it when he got his chance, got a little lost in the logjam with Jones and Williams, then he had a weird health issue, came back from that and honked that KO return, and that was the end of him in GB, and he was unable to get traction anywhere else. 

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Wrap up and what though. OK I've caught you, from behind so I've gotta be cruising as well, now I've got my arms around you at the waist. But I have to keep my balance because if I lose my footings good chance I'm landing on your ankles. So they just drag you for an extra 10 yards anyways?

If you lean I'm going to lean back. If I'm a TE at 250 and you're a sub 200 CB, I've got a pretty significant strength advantage. So you just have to ride me til help arrives? I'd agree if all the players were some mandated size.

You can say the D Player has to get to the legs but hitting below the knees is going to be a penalty too. The one dude who took out Hock was branded a dirty player even though that was really his only course of action.

The players are chiming in. They think the rule is garbage

It's also been talked about on the McAfee show with players sporadically through the year as it came to the forefront of the media's attention.

Hitting below the knees is a penalty but tackling and wrapping up the legs isn't. Is what it is, it can be done. And yeah that CB that's 200 lbs being dragged behind a 250 TE is going to have to get reinforcements to help get that TE to the ground. 

Of course some players won't like it, some of these tool bags can't think beyond....oh I don't want to go there. 

It can be done is what it is though we can agree to disagree. I used to be good to watch a large RB or TE carry a couple guys now i like watching the RB or TE get carried to the tent. Much better! Again is what it is I believe it can be done right you don't have to agree with that. Thanks though for the dialogue. 

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Hitting below the knees is a penalty but tackling and wrapping up the legs isn't. Is what it is, it can be done. And yeah that CB that's 200 lbs being dragged behind a 250 TE is going to have to get reinforcements to help get that TE to the ground. 

Of course some players won't like it, some of these tool bags can't think beyond....oh I don't want to go there. 

It can be done is what it is though we can agree to disagree. I used to be good to watch a large RB or TE carry a couple guys now i like watching the RB or TE get carried to the tent. Much better! Again is what it is I believe it can be done right you don't have to agree with that. Thanks though for the dialogue. 

I don't think many people would describe Kenny as a toolbag but alrighty then.

Runners can use their hands to keep people from wrapping them up. They have a responsibility to keep themselves healthy.

I'll stay hoping the defense retains some course of action to be effective.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I feel like it was more along the lines of he was biding his time, KILLED it when he got his chance, got a little lost in the logjam with Jones and Williams, then he had a weird health issue, came back from that and honked that KO return, and that was the end of him in GB, and he was unable to get traction anywhere else. 

A lot of that is true but I stand by him being a stud WR at Stanford who got put in a precarious position with us.  Sure he wanted to get on the field and help the team but that was never his position.  Like @PACKRULE said, Montgomery would’ve crushed it in the slot and I’d add he would have been Cobb’s successor. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

It just doesn't seem like that's a straight comp. 90% of the time the players already engaged in those clips and things are moving much slower in all the clips than the examples you see in the NFL. 

I can appreciate that you'd ideally want to see people's hips hit the ground instead of the back of an ankle but I don't think there's malicious intent. Like in the NFL you can't grab the horse collar area like it looks is prevalent in rugby, which would help in controlling your body weight. 

No it's probably not a 100% comparison but the key attributes are all very similar across any hip drop. The key thing for defenders to learn is to not drop the weight on the back of the legs which if I'm being honest is just lazy technique or desperation.

I think in the NFL it doesn't happen as often as it did here so eradicating it should be much simpler.

As for the players being against it, there's an old saying that you should never let the lunatics run the asylum.

Edited by OzPackfan

10 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

No it's probably not a 100% comparison but the key attributes are all very similar across any hip drop. The key thing for defenders to learn is to not drop the weight on the back of the legs which if I'm being honest is just lazy technique or desperation.

I think in the NFL it doesn't happen as often as it did here so eradicating it should be much simpler.

As for the players being against it, there's an old saying that you should never let the lunatics run the asylum.

I genuinely don't understand the lazy technique argument. There's no technique taught for tackling someone from behind that doesn't involve dropping your weight.

And I'm sure you've never heard of a governing body getting in the way of itself.

The players have all the experience, they should be listened to.

Edited by HighCalebR

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if its all players or defensive players that oppose it?

When the PA says  The players oppose any attempt by the NFL to implement a rule prohibiting a 'swivel hip-drop' tackle,”

Feels fairly unanimous.

Even Mark Andrew's, one of the poster boys for this, said it was just an unfortunate situation and the defensive player was just playing hard. And no hard feelings.

Edited by HighCalebR

15 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I genuinely don't understand the lazy technique argument. There's no technique taught for tackling someone from behind that doesn't involve dropping your weight.

And I'm sure you've never heard of a governing body getting in the way of itself.

The players have all the experience, they should be listened to.

IMO its lazy because you are just throwing your body wherever and not trying to use any control to drag the player down in any way possible. If you use some technique and try to control your body as it drops its harder but can be done if the right technique is learnt.

Not wanting to learn the technique of doing that and relying on "whatever happens will happen" is lazy IMO.

As for governing body getting in the way of itself, in regard to player safety that went out the window when players started legal action for concussion and started wanting longer post-game benefits for injuries. As an owner it's a no brainer to try and reduce the severity of injuries so that the benefits you have to pay post football don't continue to increase like they have in the last decade etc.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

A lot of that is true but I stand by him being a stud WR at Stanford who got put in a precarious position with us.  Sure he wanted to get on the field and help the team but that was never his position.  Like @PACKRULE said, Montgomery would’ve crushed it in the slot and I’d add he would have been Cobb’s successor. 

Well, I think we're disagreeing on the specifics but agreeing that the guy was talented. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Interesting dynamic.

NFL proposes rule change on hip drop tackles for player safety.

NFLPA opposes rule change.

How does that impact future health benefit claims?

Won't make a difference until it's collectively bargained.