NFL News & Notes

Leader

It will be interesting to see how the officials interpret the rule and what gets called.  Will it be reviewable?  I doubt it but maybe it should be.  And I’m sure there will be a plethora of calls that will piss ppl off… there always are.  But we’ve also seen plenty of these kind of tackles that look equally as dangerous as horse-collar tackles. 

NFL owners to consider kickoff change, hip-drop tackle ban - ESPN

They are going to turn the NFL into an unwatchable product. Just take the kick-off out of the game and start at the 25. If I'm the kicker, I'm squib kicking the ball every time so there is no touchbacks or fair catches. That likely means there will be a massive pile up where the guy is trying to recover the squib kick. Just dumb ideas. 

As for the hip-drop tackle, haven't they already put the defense at enough of a disadvantage already with all the other rules changes over the years. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

NFL owners to consider kickoff change, hip-drop tackle ban - ESPN

They are going to turn the NFL into an unwatchable product. Just take the kick-off out of the game and start at the 25. If I'm the kicker, I'm squib kicking the ball every time so there is no touchbacks or fair catches. That likely means there will be a massive pile up where the guy is trying to recover the squib kick. Just dumb ideas. 

As for the hip-drop tackle, haven't they already put the defense at enough of a disadvantage already with all the other rules changes over the years. 

If you land the ball short of the landing zone or it goes OB it goes to the 40. If you land in the landing zone and it rolls into endzone and they down the ball it goes to 20. 

I think it's fairly interesting. There will be returns at least. In practice will it be any good? I dunno. Never watched the XFL ha.

Can't be any worse than what returns have been. I think this is the last stop before no more kickoff. 

Edited by HighCalebR

14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Montgomery was an excellent WR who was forced to play RB. 

Montgomery has been in the league for 9 seasons with 5 different teams.  His career receiving yards total is 1159.  That's not a season total, that is Montgomery's career total over 9 seasons.  After nine years in the league, Montgomery has logged one season with 250+ receiving yards. 

Montgomery was not an excellent WR.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If you land the ball short of the landing zone or it goes OB it goes to the 40. If you land in the landing zone and it rolls into endzone and they down the ball it goes to 20. 

I think it's fairly interesting. There will be returns at least. In practice will it be any good? I dunno. Never watched the XFL ha.

Can't be any worse than what returns have been. I think this is the last stop before no more kickoff. 

I am 100% in favor of the proposed KO rule changes, and I really don't understand why fans would be against it.  Do they really want to watch endless touchbacks?  If the changes are implemented, having competent KO return/coverage units will actually matter.  More importantly, I would like the Nixon contract a lot more.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Montgomery has been in the league for 9 seasons with 5 different teams.  His career receiving yards total is 1159.  That's not a season total, that is Montgomery's career total over 9 seasons.  After nine years in the league, Montgomery has logged one season with 250+ receiving yards. 

The QBs just wouldn't throw him the ball :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am 100% in favor of the proposed KO rule changes, and I really don't understand why fans would be against it.  Do they really want to watch endless touchbacks?  If the changes are implemented, having competent KO return/coverage units will actually matter.  More importantly, I would like the Nixon contract a lot more.

Well, I'm in favor of anything that would help you like the Nixon contract a lot more :)

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think the Packers knew this was coming. 

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

20 hours ago, thrILL! said:

A lot of that is true but I stand by him being a stud WR at Stanford who got put in a precarious position with us.  

An excellent WR at Stanford who was forced to play RB in his 2nd season for us. We never got to see him focus on being the WR prospect he was.  Not sure why other teams tried to piggyback off how we used him but that didn’t work out for him either.  

14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

An excellent WR at Stanford who was forced to play RB in his 2nd season for us. We never got to see him focus on being the WR prospect he was.  Not sure why other teams tried to piggyback off how we used him but that didn’t work out for him either.  

It's not complicated.  Other teams didn't have to piggyback off of what GB did. Montgomery simply wasn't good enough. The list of excellent college WR's who were not good enough for the NFL is a very long list.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's not complicated.  Other teams didn't have to piggyback off of what GB did. Montgomery simply wasn't good enough. The list of excellent college WR's who were not good enough for the NFL is a very long list.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699534-ranking-the-top-16-college-football-wide-receivers-of-all-time

If you look at this article....a lot of the guy on this all time college WR list busted in the NFL.

And these were not excellent college WRs, they were all time great college WRs.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:34 PM, HighCalebR said:

I don't think many people would describe Kenny as a toolbag but alrighty then.

Runners can use their hands to keep people from wrapping them up. They have a responsibility to keep themselves healthy.

I'll stay hoping the defense retains some course of action to be effective.

Kenny isn't a toolbag to my knowledge. I never said he was. I said SOME players, not all or most. All good though no need to respond. 

Chiefs traded Sneed to the Titans for a 3rd in 2025  and a 7th round pick swap this year. Seems kind of cheap for an all-pro CB. This according to Schefter.

Edited by Old Guy

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Chiefs traded Sneed to the Titans for a 3rd in 2025  and a 7th round pick swap this year. Seems kind of cheap for an all-pro CB. This according to Schefter.

They'll save about 20 million in cap space giving them about 27 million. 

That new tackle rule is another way to control the game. Gambling money is big enough to buy the rule.

I hope someone is smart enough to keep track of all the times the new rule decides the outcome of the game.

Sorry to start a conspiracy theory, but feels like if we don't push back a little t his will keep going until defenses are just standing there politely asking the ball runner to stop verbally instead of physically. Then players sleeping on the field. Hopefully, at that point VR and AI will be convincing enough to convert into fully immersed games on on a channel that has a continuous loop option.