NFL News & Notes

Leader

Sportskeeda Pro Football -   The NFL has approved the new kickoff rule change. Twenty-nine of the 32 teams voted in favor, while the three dissenters were the Packers, 49ers, and Raiders.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sportskeeda Pro Football -   The NFL has approved the new kickoff rule change. Twenty-nine of the 32 teams voted in favor, while the three dissenters were the Packers, 49ers, and Raiders.

Would be very curious to find out why the Packers opposed the approved format. Honestly, I couldn't think of a team who benefits more from it: (1) they have a top KR man and the rule promotes returns, and (2) they have a kicker who either by design or nature can't kick touchbacks on a regular basis anyways so we aren't losing much there by having more returns...

Seems like a perfect scenario for us. 

• Like 1

Andy Herman -  I’m totally fine with eliminating onside kicks to the fullest extent. Let’s stop rewarding the worse team with lucky chance bounces that result in them getting the ball back for no good reason. Let the better teams win.

14 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

IF the refs call it correctly.  I'm not sure the refs are going to be judicious with the calls, I think they are going to err on the side of caution and end up throwing a lot of flags on tackles that look questionable - like Quay Walker's horse-collar tackle in the playoffs.  Without it being reviewable it could be multiple 15 yard penalties.  Just another subjective call with 15 yards deciding a critical game.

The link below is a rugby discussion, but I think it's relevant.  The defender's weight dropping directly onto the runner's legs is what the NFL wants out of the game, and I don't especially have a problem with that goal.  The 2-minute mark of the video gets into tackles that look like infractions, but don't actually qualify.  This gray area is where I'm sure there will be a ton of debate when it comes to why a flag was/wasn't thrown.  I definitely get the concern over whether a ref will be able to make a split second call on how the defender's weight landed and get it right every time.  Mistakes will be made.

What is and isn't a hip drop tackle

So, in reading the language of the rule, I wonder if you're going to see an emphasis on squib kicks or more line-drive kicks where the kicker attempts to have the ball hit the ground in the "landing zone." According to the rule, the 10 kickoff coverage players can start moving if either occurs: (1) the KR catches the ball or (2) the ball hits the ground in the landing zone. Thus, there's no advantage to "high" kickoffs or keeping the ball in the air longer, but there would be an advantage to getting the ball to touch the ground in the landing zone and then the KR has to scoop it up. Or, if the kick rolls all the way into the endzone and the KR downs it there, it only comes out to the 20, instead of the 30. 

Edited by packfanfb

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

l0MYt5jPR6QX5pnqM.webp

Packers have Nixon, and they were one of the three dissenting teams?  Color me confused.

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

l0MYt5jPR6QX5pnqM.webp

Packers have Nixon, and they were one of the three dissenting teams?  Color me confused.

They likely preferred the way it was set up before. No telling what this does for returns and starting field position overall. Watching McAffee discuss it, definitely there will be some late season cold windy game where hitting that target area will be anything but a gimme. Going to be interesting how players coaches and fans adapt. In general, people don’t like change so I expect a lot of grumbling early on. 

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They likely preferred the way it was set up before.

They dissented.  It goes without saying that GB preferred the way it was before.  I am not understanding why.

Couple more rule changes: 

1. Looks like you can now put a guy on IR (and bring him back) on the final cut-down day without first carrying him on the 53 to start the season. Maximum of 2 players. 

2. Your PS QB (3rd QB) can be elevated an unlimited amount of times to serve as the emergency QB on gamedays.  

• Like 1