NFL News & Notes

Leader

26 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Might as well just outlaw tackling. Trash-tier league leadership. I’m sure the fantasy-football casuals and the gambling junkies will love it though. 

Meh. NFL says hip drop tackle was used 230 times last year. That's just over 7 times per team. So over a 17 game season the average team would use it 0.4 times per game. It will require an adjustment by some players, but it's probably not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

• Like 2

Owner Woody Johnson vows Jets to keep QB Zach Wilson if no trade - ESPN

What does he think he's going to get for Zach Wilson? A ham sandwich? 

The first thing he's going to have to do is take his 4.4-million-dollar roster bonus and convert it to a bonus and pay him. If he did that, I'd give him a 7th round pick in 2025 for him. He'd be worth a look see for a year. He's got arm talent, but does he have the mental makeup to be a NFL quarterback? 

There is also virtually no way he can be on the Jets roster this year either. Not after all the **** that went on last year. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Meh. NFL says hip drop tackle was used 230 times last year. That's just over 7 times per team. So over a 17 game season the average team would use it 0.4 times per game. It will require an adjustment by some players, but it's probably not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

IF the refs call it correctly.    I'm not sure the refs are going to be judicious with the calls, I think they are going to err on the side of caution and end up throwing a lot of flags on tackles that look questionable - like Quay Walker's horse-collar tackle in the playoffs     Without it being reviewable it could be multiple 15 yard penalties.     Just another subjective call with 15 yards deciding a critical game.

We are in the golden age of conspiracy theories - so here's mine.   The NFL knows this is unpopular with the players and best of all for them they have the NFLPA putting out tweets against a play with a greater chance of injury.    Being for protecting the players, against their will, will play so well in future health related lawsuits.   What do you mean we aren't adequately funding health benefits or taking CTE seriously, look how we banned this super risky play against the wishes of the players and how they are all posting tweets advocating for more contact in the game.  We are clearly the white knights protecting them from themselves

• Like 2

The hip-drop ban was obviously coming.  Maybe I'll care about it more once I see how it impacts the games.  The rule I actually care about is the KO rules.  Really hope that gets approved.

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

IF the refs call it correctly.    I'm not sure the refs are going to be judicious with the calls, I think they are going to err on the side of caution and end up throwing a lot of flags on tackles that look questionable - like Quay Walker's horse-collar tackle in the playoffs     Without it being reviewable it could be multiple 15 yard penalties.     Just another subjective call with 15 yards deciding a critical game.

We are in the golden age of conspiracy theories - so here's mine.   The NFL knows this is unpopular with the players and best of all for them they have the NFLPA putting out tweets against a play with a greater chance of injury.    Being for protecting the players, against their will, will play so well in future health related lawsuits.   What do you mean we aren't adequately funding health benefits or taking CTE seriously, look how we banned this super risky play against the wishes of the players and how they are all posting tweets advocating for more contact in the game.  We are clearly the white knights protecting them from themselves

Bargaining chip in future negotiations 

People are overblowing the impact of the hip-drop ban.  It's a ban on a specific technique for tackling because it leads to injury, analogous to the ban on the horsecollar tackle.  If you want to tackle a guy from a trailing position, you can just pin their legs without swinging your body around and you're fine.

The end result is going to be basically the same as the ban on the horsecollar- guys who get behind defenders who are trying to tackle them are going to gain a few more yards.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

But conversely, since it’s used infrequently, why do they really need to ban it?

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Now this I can get behind. 

Took a while for the tweet (xeet?) to load, was really hoping for a picture of Beyoncé, just chaps. I’ll take the consolation prize of using replay to actually get calls correct.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

People are overblowing the impact of the hip-drop ban.  It's a ban on a specific technique for tackling because it leads to injury, analogous to the ban on the horsecollar tackle.  If you want to tackle a guy from a trailing position, you can just pin their legs without swinging your body around and you're fine.

The end result is going to be basically the same as the ban on the horsecollar- guys who get behind defenders who are trying to tackle them are going to gain a few more yards.

This. Its hilarious how up in arms so many ppl are over it lol.