NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Speaking as probably the only XFL viewer here, there were surprisingly few kick off return touchdowns.  Packer legend, Darrius Shepherd led the XFL in kick return yards.  The kick returns are more like screen passes with this set-up.  

That's fine.  I'd rather watch this than the steady stream of KO's out of the EZ.  I don't want to see KO's eliminated altogether, which is where the league was heading prior making to this change.

I have to assume it will be two teams coming off a bye, or maybe a Thursday game.  Don't see any other way for it to work.

EDIT: Actually, the NFL is playing on Saturday's that time of year, so I guess a Sat-Wed turn around isn't much different than Sun-Thu.

Edited by Mazrimiv

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to assume it will be two teams coming off a bye, or maybe a Thursday game.  Don't see any other way for it to work.

EDIT: Actually, the NFL is playing on Saturday's that time of year, so I guess a Sat-Wed turn around isn't much different than Sun-Thu.

Hopefully it'll be something like this:

Monday night (week of Xmas)

PHI at SF

DET at DAL

(2 days later)

SF at DET

DAL at PHI

• Like 2

Never watched Hard Knocks, but maybe I will during NFC-N seasons.

CBS Sports lead NFL insider Jonathan Jones has reported that the in-season version of "Hard Knocks" will now follow four teams within one division.

It's not clear which division will be on the show in 2024.  With the Dolphins doing the in-season show in 2023 and the Cardinals in 2022, it seems unlikely that they'd be asked to do it again so soon, which would likely rule out the AFC East and NFC West. 

Also making the pre-season version of the show harder to avoid.

There will also still be a team on the preseason version of the show. The NFL has had some trouble finding a volunteer team over the past few years, so the league has changed the qualification rules for being on "Hard Knocks."

Under the old rules, a team could turn down "Hard Knocks" if it had made the playoffs at any point over the past two seasons, but that rule has been tossed out. Also, any team that had appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the past 10 years was also able to avoid being on the show under the old rules, but that number has now been reduced down to eight years.

To avoid being picked for the pre-season show, a team must meet one of the conditions below.  I assume condition 3 only applies to the pre-season version of the show.

1. Have a first-year head coach in place. 
  2. Participate in the in-season show during the upcoming year or the following season.
  3. Have appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the past eight years
Edited by Mazrimiv

2 hours ago, craig said:

Didn't Love have only like one 300-yard game?  Maybe two?  

Yards don't equal wins, they equal throwing the ball a lot of times.  If you want yards go look for Drew Brees or Stat Padford.

But I know, I know... Aaron Rodgers bad. 😆

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's fine.  I'd rather watch this than the steady stream of KO's out of the EZ.  I don't want to see KO's eliminated altogether, which is where the league was heading prior making to this change.

We’ve now reversed the roll of the XP and the kickoff. One can change the outcome of a game and the other is a meaningless piss chance. Wow.

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Football everyday for Christmas!!!

Can you imagine if they announced they were going to play a game every day of that week because everyone’s off work anyway? We’d all watch. They’d make money. I don’t see why this isn’t a thing. Sponsored by DraftKings.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yards don't equal wins, they equal throwing the ball a lot of times.  If you want yards go look for Drew Brees or Stat Padford. But I know, I know... Aaron Rodgers bad. 😆

I was surprised by the stat. As for your comment, it's not like GB had an offense predicated on the running game - so AR failing to reach 300yrds for such an extended period is interesting at least.