NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kyle Brant put this into context: They lost 1900 receiving yards.

Alaina Getzenberg -  Confirmed that the Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year. Per ESPNStatsInfo, this will be the highest known dead money charge for a wide receiver in any season all-time.

We’re going to see more of these as WR get astronomical contracts and guarantees. Also letting talented  guys go for low compensation to get out of contracts. It’s going to be tough to pay WR market rate so you’d better sign a good one with a solid head on his shoulders and magic anti-injury amulet.  It also means I’ll understand anytime they take a WR in the draft to keep the carousel moving because we will have to let some quality guys walk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

This dude is such a cancer they sent him and a pick this year for a 2nd next year and another late round pick next year. They get nothing in return this draft. 

LOL! 

The Texans though, are the ones who made the mistake. He will ruin your locker room in over his selfish behavior. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Weather the storm financially, sure.

On the field with that WR room?  lol

Who is going to play safety for them? They are a 3rd place team in their division. 

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We’re going to see more of these as WR get astronomical contracts and guarantees. Also letting talented  guys go for low compensation to get out of contracts. It’s going to be tough to pay WR market rate so you’d better sign a good one with a solid head on his shoulders and magic anti-injury amulet.  It also means I’ll understand anytime they take a WR in the draft to keep the carousel moving because we will have to let some quality guys walk. 

WR receivers contracts are getting to the point where it might be better to let them go at second contract time (especially first rounders where you get 5 years and maybe tag them for one year). and get another in the draft (comparatively) cheaply, since there are usually several good WRs in every draft. Also, if you have a great QB, merely good receivers can be made to look great with that QB.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

The WR thing is sort of like the QB thing where the absolute best of the best are probably worth the going rate, but you there needs to emerge a "middle class price" at the position.

Like you can't pay Tua like he's Patrick Mahomes and expect to win.  You also shouldn't pay Calvin Ridley like he's Davante.

What makes the WR position different is that an elite WR doesn't even make a difference unless you have a decent enough QB, OL, etc.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The WR thing is sort of like the QB thing where the absolute best of the best are probably worth the going rate, but you there needs to emerge a "middle class price" at the position. Like you can't pay Tua like he's Patrick Mahomes and expect to win.  You also shouldn't pay Calvin Ridley like he's Davante. What makes the WR position different is that an elite WR doesn't even make a difference unless you have a decent enough QB, OL, etc.

Edited by Leader

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The WR thing is sort of like the QB thing where the absolute best of the best are probably worth the going rate, but you there needs to emerge a "middle class price" at the position. Like you can't pay Tua like he's Patrick Mahomes and expect to win.  You also shouldn't pay Calvin Ridley like he's Davante.What makes the WR position different is that an elite WR doesn't even make a difference unless you have a decent enough QB, OL, etc.

With Allen at QB their room be fine I think. Samuel and Tupac are fine slot guys. Their TEs are good. Grab a WR early and one late that Allen can do Allen things with and blindly chuck the ball up a few times a game and things shouldn't be too different.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Diggs is really declining.  They basically stopped using him in week 9 or so when they swapped OC.

Still surprised they sold him for nothing though.

Analytics show that his targets per game went down just a tick under 1.

They didn't stop using him.  He stopped producing.

33 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This dude is such a cancer they sent him and a pick this year for a 2nd next year and another late round pick next year. They get nothing in return this draft. 

LOL! 

The Texans though, are the ones who made the mistake. He will ruin your locker room in over his selfish behavior. 

It's odd, isn't it?  Not just that you and I agree, but rather that in this trade, I felt like both teams "lost".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What makes the WR position different is that an elite WR doesn't even make a difference unless you have a decent enough QB, OL, etc.

I feel like an elite WR will be able to get his, but I agree - aside from gaudy stats, elite WRs alone don't elevate offenses. Maybe Tyreek Hill is the lone exception 

39 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

WR receivers contracts are getting to the point where it might be better to let them go at second contract time (especially first rounders where you get 5 years and maybe tag them for one year). and get another in the draft (comparatively) cheaply, since there are usually several good WRs in every draft. Also, if you have a great QB, merely good receivers can be made to look great with that QB.

Great QB, good to hopefully very good OLine with some depth and you should be able to get the offense going, even with some replaceable level guys. Hope you hit on skill positions in the draft but only keep the absolute best on second contracts.

It’s very possible we have the great QB and good OLine this year. Our skills guys should thrive if they play a s well as we all hope. There is a possibility of everyone including Love to take a step back so I’m clear that there still might be some bumps in the road but there is plenty of reason for optimism with this group. If Hafley can cook with what he’s got, man this could be a fun ride. 

Edited by Refugee

15 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I feel like an elite WR will be able to get his, but I agree - aside from gaudy stats, elite WRs alone don't elevate offenses. Maybe Tyreek Hill is the lone exception 

Davante Adams THROWS HELMET & pushes cameraman over after the game on Make a  GIF

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Analytics show that his targets per game went down just a tick under 1.

They didn't stop using him.  He stopped producing.

They stopped throwing him the ball down the field and just threw him little screen passes.

It was pretty well documented change in how they used him and how effectively they used him.  He seriously declined in usage/air yards and production.