NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No hating on Packers.  Except J'Mon Moore, Brandon Bostick, Micah Hyde, Darren Sharper, Charles Martin, and Randall Woodfield.  And *Allegedly* Mark Chmura.

Martellus Bennett, Tony Mandarich,  Ahmad Carroll, eddie Lacy are names I would add to the list but absolutely can not put them on the same list as Sharper and way worse Woodfield

7 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Martellus Bennett, Tony Mandarich,  Ahmad Carroll, eddie Lacy are names I would add to the list but absolutely can not put them on the same list as Sharper and way worse Woodfield

You take Eddie Lacy off that list immediately!  First off, he ran well enough for OROY.  Then skinny Lacy proceeded to run through the competition for several seasons and even played well enough to keep us in the hunt so AR could return from injury and dagger the Bears into the playoffs. He was a joy to watch. His only transgression was that the man liked to eat, let he who is without sin cast the first cheese curd. He even had the decency to gain his weight before we signed him to any high dollar, long term contract. Eddie is a great Packer in my opinion, just couldn’t maintain it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

You take Eddie Lacy off that list immediately!  First off, he ran well enough for OROY.  Then skinny Lacy proceeded to run through the competition for several seasons and even played well enough to keep us in the hunt so AR could return from injury and dagger the Bears into the playoffs. He was a joy to watch. His only transgression was that the man liked to eat, let he who is without sin cast the first cheese curd. He even had the decency to gain his weight before we signed him to any high dollar, long term contract. Eddie is a great Packer in my opinion, just couldn’t maintain it. 

bro just couldn't shake the lure of that Cajun seafood 😔

9 minutes ago, persiandud said:

bro just couldn't shake the lure of that Cajun seafood 😔

Growing up in WI but spending plenty of time in Louisiana, it’s no surprise to me both states continually compete for obesity and alcoholism crown year in  year out. Eddie was one of us, as far as I’m concerned. I wish he could have been more disciplined to extend his prime but he was a great RB while his star (and metabolism) burned bright.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Oh I forgot about the TE tandem of Marty B and Jimmy Graham.  

Can't hate Lacy though.  Guy just liked the China food.

11 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I don't hate Tony Mandarich, I strongly dislike the front office who selected him at #2 overall when they knew he was jacked up on roids. There was a HOFer drafted before us and three more in the selections at 3, 4, 5. 

The Bears offered us their 3 - FRPs to come up to the second slot, they wanted him too. Those three picks all turned out to be pretty good football players. 

The bright side is, drafting Mandarich was part of the impetus which brought us Ron Wolf a few years later. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't hate Tony Mandarich, I strongly dislike the front office who selected him at #2 overall when they knew he was jacked up on roids. There was a HOFer drafted before us and three more in the selections a 3, 4, 5. 

The Bears offered us their 3 - FRPs to come up to the second slot, they wanted him too. Those three picks all turned out to be pretty good football players. 

The bright side is, drafting Mandarich was part of the impetus which brought us Ron Wolf a few years later. 

Did it not also start the separation of church and state by Bob Harlan as well?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

Eddie was one of us, as far as I’m concerned. I wish he could have been more disciplined to extend his prime but he was a great RB while his star (and metabolism) burned bright.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20756278/seattle-seahawks-eddie-lacy-opens-public-struggle-weight

He went thru so much as a kid bcuz of Hurricane Katrina.  It’s no wonder he struggled with not only his weight, but PTSD. 

14 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Lacy is up there with the most lovable Packers of all time. I can’t take anyone seriously who has any will towards that man. 

Yeah, my read on Lacy was that he was a guy who was talented, but didn't really love football and had a lot of issues with his mental health that stood in the way of being the sort of "all football, all the time" robot which NFL people seem to believe is ideal.