NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But he didn't really lose targets, now did he?  He was still a focal point of the offense.  He just didn't produce.

Was it a screen or a bomb that he dropped that would have won the Chiefs game in the playoffs?

I mean it like this....he's a diva and probably a cancer.  That is okay at WR, even at a hefty price tag, so long as you make that catch that wins the game.  He didn't.  

Didn't you say his targets declined by 1 per game? That's probably like, what, a 15% decrease?

That's a significant reduction in use.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

His targets were way down in the second half of the year. From over 11/game in the first 8 games, to under 8/game in the last 9.  Not sure where you got your numbers from. His yards/target went way down too.  From over 8 to just over 6.  Huge decline.  All of this is really obvious and not really arguable if you were paying attention.

It's ok to admit you weren't following the path of the bills season and what happened with Diggs and the offense.  Idk why you want to dig your heels in that he was such a big part of the Bills offense.  Anybody who was paying attention to the Bills will tell you that Diggs was being phased out under the new OC Brady.

Diggs was more of an on the field disappointment than some distraction or off the field problem.  He wasn't a difference maker that he used to be.  He wasn't really a problem off the field so much as he stopped being a difference maker on the field, but he was still asking for the ball and assuming he was this stud WR that he used to be.

He wasn't complete dog**** or anything but he got much worse and the offense started running the ball more and it became less of the diggs offense under Ken Dorsey and then the run the ball use the RBs and TEs offense under Joe Brady.

What if Diggs is still good but the OC sucks in using him? Or that it's somewhere between those two things?

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

What if Diggs is still good but the OC sucks in using him? Or that it's somewhere between those two things?

I watched enough Bills game last year to know that he isn't totally cooked.

But something happened mid year to him.  Plays he was making he was no longer making.  Effort seemed really lacking.

I don't feel as if athletically he has regressed.  Mentally, though......

Either way, the Bills know him best and thought the best addition to their WR room was subtracting him.  And if my memory is correct, the Vikes thought the same thing.

Once is fluke.   Two is a trend.  Three is a problem.  We are in trend status with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I watched enough Bills game last year to know that he isn't totally cooked.

But something happened mid year to him.  Plays he was making he was no longer making.  Effort seemed really lacking.

I don't feel as if athletically he has regressed.  Mentally, though......

Either way, the Bills know him best and thought the best addition to their WR room was subtracting him.  And if my memory is correct, the Vikes thought the same thing.

Once is fluke.   Two is a trend.  Three is a problem.  We are in trend status with him.

Agreed, but it might work out for Houston. He wears out his welcome eventually, but not right away. If he hasn't declined physically, they could get 2-3 very good years out of him before he becomes a problem. If he has declined, only his 2024 contract is guaranteed. After that, if he's a problem, they can unload him with no salary cap implications. 

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Diggs is still good.    The routes they asked him to run, depth of targets and number of targets changed dramatically between weeks 6 and 8.      It's like questioning a defensive player's pressures/sacks if they start asking that player to drop into coverage more often or ask them to contain vs rush consistently.    If you are allowed to blitz consistently and have 8 sacks over your first 6 games, but then the team changes their defensive scheme and stops rushing the quarterback consistently and you only have 4 sacks the remainder of the season - it doesn't mean that player suddenly sucks, it means the system changed.

In weeks 1-8 Diggs avg 11.25 targets and in 6 of those 8 games he had 11-16 targets.    His avg yards/route run was 2.31 in those 8 games (a very large 2.68 in the 1st 6 weeks).  He had 620 yards over his 1st 6 gms with 5 100+ yd games.   

Starting week 7-8 he saw the same high volume of targets with 12 each but his yards/route run dropped to only 1.23 which reflects the dramatic change in what the offensive coordinator was asking him to do at that point.     His yards/route run stayed in that low to mid 1 range the remainder of the season.   Big reflection of a change in offensive scheme affecting a WR's production

In weeks 1-8 Diggs avg 11.25 targets/gm and in his remaining 11 games (inc Playoffs) he avg 7.91/gm and only saw two games with double digit targets

So 3.34 fewer targets per game and yards/route run cut by more than 50%.  

Diggs is a headcase and reportedly butted heads with Allen so I can see why he was shipped out of BUF and MN before that, but the trade has nothing to do with whether Diggs is still good imo

39 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Agreed, but it might work out for Houston. He wears out his welcome eventually, but not right away. If he hasn't declined physically, they could get 2-3 very good years out of him before he becomes a problem. If he has declined, only his 2024 contract is guaranteed. After that, if he's a problem, they can unload him with no salary cap implications. 

There's nothing about Diggs that tells me he is going to like sharing targets with Collins and Dell.  Collins broke out last year and Dell was a very productive rookie.

But...like you say, they can dump him anytime with that contract.  He may very well be worth the locker room risk.

I'm also very happy that we didn't bring him in.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Didn't know exactly where to put this but I laughed...

Is that OUR Tyler Davis?

Also, remember the Shenault fan club around these parts?  I think the same guys that liked him liked Claypool.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is that OUR Tyler Davis?

Also, remember the Shenault fan club around these parts?  I think the same guys that liked him liked Claypool.  

I take offense to calling him our Tyler Davis. I'd rather call him unemployed Tyler Davis.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I take offense to calling him our Tyler Davis. I'd rather call him unemployed Tyler Davis.

No hating on Packers.  Except J'Mon Moore, Brandon Bostick, Micah Hyde, Darren Sharper, Charles Martin, and Randall Woodfield.  And *Allegedly* Mark Chmura.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No hating on Packers.  Except J'Mon Moore, Brandon Bostick, Micah Hyde, Darren Sharper, Charles Martin, and Randall Woodfield.  And *Allegedly* Mark Chmura.

And Tyler Davis. And Sean Clifford.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

why micah hyde?