NFL News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

They dissented.  It goes without saying that GB preferred the way it was before.  I am not understanding why.

They likely preferred the way it was set up before, with the longer running start and ability to set up a return. 

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Would be very curious to find out why the Packers opposed the approved format. Honestly, I couldn't think of a team who benefits more from it: (1) they have a top KR man and the rule promotes returns, and (2) they have a kicker who either by design or nature can't kick touchbacks on a regular basis anyways so we aren't losing much there by having more returns...

Seems like a perfect scenario for us. 

Seems like a perfect scenario for us namely because our coverage teams are awful and many times our lack of lane containment bites us big time.

I think this setup is going to be fun to watch.  There is a ton of strategy on both sides for how to handle it.

For example, I know this rule is there to reduce high impact collisions.  But....if a team puts two guys back for the kick, can one catch the ball while the other is behind him running full speed to get a hand off or lateral, so he can hit the line/hole faster?

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Seems like a perfect scenario for us namely because our coverage teams are awful and many times our lack of lane containment bites us big time.

I think this setup is going to be fun to watch.  There is a ton of strategy on both sides for how to handle it.

For example, I know this rule is there to reduce high impact collisions.  But....if a team puts two guys back for the kick, can one catch the ball while the other is behind him running full speed to get a hand off or lateral, so he can hit the line/hole faster?

I like the variety of it on paper. I think in execution it’s going to take me a bit to appreciate how it is handled. I also expect the average fan to be blindsided by it preseason and week one and to complain for a while about the changes. There will be a chance that a missed tackle and a decent block could house one, so I hope to see that especially for the Pack. It’s going to be strange seeing guys lined up so close, though. 

Very interesting thread. 

1. Overall Play Designs: The kickoff play isn’t going to be run like a previous kickoff. They'll be less value on collisions, quickness and explosiveness. Instead, it’ll likely be more closely analogous to a spaced out run play. You might even see Special Teams coaches develop into Man vs. Zone type distinctions. You'll see players pull, plays like Power/Duo, now on kickoff return! This will lead to a higher value on TE/FB-type run blocking value on return, and LB/SAF block shedding value on kickoff. Should help athlete TEs who can block (like Tip Reiman) and undersized LBs/Big Safeties (like Tyler Owens) be even more valuable now.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  Only the kicker and the return man can move before the ball hits the ground or is caught.  In your scenario the receiving team is more or less removing a blocker.  Your second deep man can't move to line up for the handoff before the kick is fielded.  They could set up a reverse like this, but you have a free running defender to account for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I like the variety of it on paper. I think in execution it’s going to take me a bit to appreciate how it is handled. I also expect the average fan to be blindsided by it preseason and week one and to complain for a while about the changes. There will be a chance that a missed tackle and a decent block could house one, so I hope to see that especially for the Pack. It’s going to be strange seeing guys lined up so close, though. 

The XFL kickoff is great, once you get used to it.   

Did they also implement the 4th and 15 in place of the onside kick?

Edited by ThatJerkDave

16 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They likely preferred the way it was set up before, with the longer running start and ability to set up a return. 

Unless the game is being played in bad weather, it was just so easy for the kicking team to avoid returns altogether.  The only reason Nixon even qualified for all-pro was because he was willing to (and GB let him) take returns out from deep in the EZ.  Until later in the season, it was usually the only option he had if he wanted a crack at returning a KO .

17 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I feel like housing one is going to be a bit easier than say housing one on a handoff.

The cover team is going to set up a line and then the line's job is going to be just like it is on a running play.  Engage and shed, or occupy to make sure someone is free to make the tackle.  And there should be a safety or two on the play, should someone break through.

At least that is how I see it.

For the returning team, I hope we see gimmicks.  Picket fences set up on the edges.  Two man "games" for the returners....etc.

I did think it would be cool to see someone deep get a head of steam, then get a pitch after the ball is caught, but it sounds like that is out as no one can move until the ball is caught.  So really what we have here is a field wide running play/dive.  It's risky, but I want to see someone try to run an option off one of these things!

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, there is just no longer an onside kick option?

Other than no more sneak attack onside kicks, the current onside kick rules will apply.

Onside kicks will still be allowed under the NFL's new kickoff rules, but only in the fourth quarter for trailing teams.

The trailing team will have the right to declare to the official that they want to attempt an onside kick. After that, "current onside kickoff rules would apply," as outlined by the NFL.

• Like 1

Speaking as probably the only XFL viewer here, there were surprisingly few kick off return touchdowns.  Packer legend, Darrius Shepherd led the XFL in kick return yards.  The kick returns are more like screen passes with this set-up.