NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree entirely....and now for a superflous commentary...but the Packer/NFL news is wanting and I'm not engaging in the culture wars chit-chat...so here goes: 

Function. I'm a guy for whom function matters a great deal...and when it comes to my wheels, I'll add design. Function & design. How does my drive fit my life?

For years I drove SUVs. Nissan Pathfinders. Top of the line. Loaded with all the bells, whistles & creature comforts that made climbing inside a pleasure. Functionally, it was good for the wife & kids (and pets). Good for business and could accommodate just about anything I could conjure up to bring home from Home Depot or Lowes. 

Life evolved....the kids moved out. So it was me, the wife, pets, and the HD stuff - but the back seat was empty for long stretches. Eventually the GrandKids starting showing up...but by then I'd swapped the traditional SUV for a different variety: A Ford SportTrac. I'd look hard at the F150's and Tundras...but I just couldnt get past those 4'x8' beds. I couldnt pull the trigger on the purchase. I just didnt need those beds. I might have hauled an assortment of stuff over the years - but full plywood sheets wasnt never one of them. It's function didnt fit my life - whereas the ST had the Explorer cab with the outside cab (with all the same interior bells & whistles( - plus the back seat could hold a full array of GrandKids - or be folded down for inside carriage of all sorts of stuff. Good function...and I liked the slim/sleek look.

Now it's just me and my dog and the "big wheels" have evolved into a Honda Fit - which was probably a bit more drastic a change than I needed to make - but you know what? It fits me now. Honda makes a good machine - so I can rely on that - it's great gets great gas mileage - so all this chatter about the cost of gas is lost on me personally - plus it can handle my HD/Lowes stuff and what if cant, I have delivered. Done.

So - yeah - people get / drive what they want...or what makes them happy....or what fits the function of their lives.     

Yup, I sold the big truck when I became a dad for a much smaller truck. Fun had to end some time ha.

• Like 1

Butker's clownishness is due primarily to his belief that his worldview is the answer to the problems he brought up. 

It's laughable, really. And almost totally devoid of merit. Talk about virtue signaling! His entire speech was.

He is pretty clearly a fringe extremist in his beliefs as a Catholic. Many Catholics certainly are justified in feeling offended by his stated entrance criteria to be one. 

Clown gonna clown. He deserves the criticism. 

Writing this off as "Catholic person saying Catholic things" carries the understanding of a toddler.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If you disagree with what Butker said, I have good news for you, you live in America and you don't need to practice any of it! You may choose whatever morals and guidelines you please as long as they don't break the law. However millions of people live life this way and are perfectly happy doing so as well, so leave them alone, there's absolutely nothing offensive at all about what was said.   

Alright, since mods are also getting in on the fun I’ll take a bite of the **** sandwich. Surely this guy has the right to speak his opinions and was invited to do so, but people have the right to air any praises or grievances based on their own values. One of the biggest issues he has run into is not only speaking for himself, but making a pretty damn presumptuous statement about how women will feel about their lives and future. That might not disturb you personally but I don’t see how anyone with a passing understanding of history might not see how that could cross the line for many people and especially women who have fought to have the same standing as men for longer than any of us have been alive.

Similarly he is setting his own litmus tests for what a “real Catholic” is. Saying that’s just media hype is dead wrong. He literally says his interpretation is the correct one. He goes on to name the president, who is a lifelong Catholic, saying he doesn’t pass the litmus test. The thing is he doesn’t get to decide that. He’s entitled to his own beliefs but will obviously draw some fire once he steps out of his own experience and talks about what is most important in a woman’s life or what a good catholic is. He doesn’t speak for any of those groups as a whole any more than you speak for every pickup or Prius owner. There’s a pretty damn diverse spectrum of perspectives, moral guidelines and beliefs in any group larger than one. Saying he said nothing controversial is not supported by the reality, but more importantly is not for you to decide. People will decide if it offends them or not and move accordingly.

The NFL is a large corporation who is mostly concerned about its bottom line. They don’t care what side of the aisle the money comes from. They will, however, triangulate their position into what they think the majority support and at this moment they are definitely distancing themselves from Butker’s comments. He won’t lose his job but his consequences will be from the court of public opinion. As an entertainer, public opinion does matter to his employer and can impact his future opportunities. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Alright, since mods are also getting in on the fun I’ll take a bite of the **** sandwich. Surely this guy has the right to speak his opinions and was invited to do so, but people have the right to air any praises or grievances based on their own values. One of the biggest issues he has run into is not only speaking for himself, but making a pretty damn presumptuous statement about how women will feel about their lives and future. That might not disturb you personally but I don’t see how anyone with a passing understanding of history might not see how that could cross the line for many people and especially women who have fought to have the same standing as men for longer than any of us have been alive.

Similarly he is setting his own litmus tests for what a “real Catholic” is. Saying that’s just media hype is dead wrong. He literally says his interpretation is the correct one. He goes on to name the president, who is a lifelong Catholic, saying he doesn’t pass the litmus test. The thing is he doesn’t get to decide that. He’s entitled to his own beliefs but will obviously draw some fire once he steps out of his own experience and talks about what is most important in a woman’s life or what a good catholic is. He doesn’t speak for any of those groups as a whole any more than you speak for every pickup or Prius owner. There’s a pretty damn diverse spectrum of perspectives, moral guidelines and beliefs in any group larger than one. Saying he said nothing controversial is not supported by the reality, but more importantly is not for you to decide. People will decide if it offends them or not and move accordingly.

The NFL is a large corporation who is mostly concerned about its bottom line. They don’t care what side of the aisle the money comes from. They will, however, triangulate their position into what they think the majority support and at this moment they are definitely distancing themselves from Butker’s comments. He won’t lose his job but his consequences will be from the court of public opinion. As an entertainer, public opinion does matter to his employer and can impact his future opportunities. 

Nailed it.

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Go back and read the transcript AG posted. I bet 98% of people read the mainstream media "Butker tells Woman to Stay in the Kitchen" and assume what the rest of the speech is about. Nothing Butker said about his wife should offend anyone, if it does I honestly feel sorry for you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Butker's clownishness is due primarily to his belief that his worldview is the answer to the problems he brought up. 

It's laughable, really. And almost totally devoid of merit. Talk about virtue signaling! His entire speech was.

He is pretty clearly a fringe extremist in his beliefs as a Catholic. Many Catholics certainly are justified in feeling offended by his stated entrance criteria to be one. 

Clown gonna clown. He deserves the criticism. 

Writing this off as "Catholic person saying Catholic things" carries the understanding of a toddler.

BREAKING:

Non-Catholic tells Catholics how to practice Catholicism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If you disagree with what Butker said, I have good news for you, you live in America and you don't need to practice any of it! You may choose whatever morals and guidelines you please as long as they don't break the law. However millions of people live life this way and are perfectly happy doing so as well, so leave them alone, there's absolutely nothing offensive at all about what was said.   

Butker opened himself to criticism by bringing it up. 

Conservatives will ***** about liberal values and liberals will ***** about conservatives values. We see this phenomenon on these very boards all the time, yourself included. 

How about we drop the holier than thou attitude and get back to football?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Go back and read the transcript AG posted. I bet 98% of people read the mainstream media "Butker tells Woman to Stay in the Kitchen" and assume what the rest of the speech is about. Nothing Butker said about his wife should offend anyone, if it does I honestly feel sorry for you.

No need to feel sorry, in fact that’s a pretty weak rebuttal. Speaking for his wife is one thing but he definitely told a room full of women as college grads what he would venture to guess the most important thing in their lives will be. That’s in the actual transcript. I’m not basing anything off of a single fabricated headline so why even bring that up? Again, it might not be offensive to you personally but you don’t get to decide any of that  for anyone else.

There are some pretty weak takes over these last few pages that are laughable in how sheltered they are to the wider world. If those views are working for you personally, so be it but they just might not fit with how a lot of people see the world and their lives in it. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

Just now, Bcv said:

Butker opened himself to criticism by bringing it up. 

Conservatives will ***** about liberal values and liberals will ***** about conservatives values. We see this phenomenon on these very boards all the time, yourself included. 

How about we drop the holier than thou attitude and get back to football?

Does a Vegan bring themselves to criticism of non-vegans by speaking to a convention of Vegans? 

I agree entirely with your last two sentences, but Butker was brought in to give a speech about his Catholic values at a Catholic institution. The only reason he's being criticized is because everything is filmed now and ends up online, and those views don't align with the mainstream media groupthink.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You should take your own advice and read it all, not just a selected excerpt. 

It's so cringe, I wouldn't fault you from skipping a lot of it, but AG is focused on gender roles stuff (as they often are, oddly). There's equally clownish content across the board though:

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine?amp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The only reason he's being criticized is because everything is filmed now and ends up online, and those views don't align with the mainstream media groupthink

Lol

No, that's not why. 

This might surprise you, but there are a LOT of religious themed speeches every day. Almost none of which receive this backlash. It's not because he's famous, either (because he's not). It's the content.

You're smarter than this. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

No need to feel sorry, in fact that’s a pretty weak rebuttal. Speaking for his wife is one thing but he definitely told a room full of women as college grads what he would venture to guess the most important thing in their lives will be. That’s in the actual transcript. I’m not basing anything off of a single headline so why even bring that up? Again, it might not be offensive to you personally but you don’t get to decide any of hay for anyone else.

There are some pretty weak takes over there’s last few pages that are laughable in how sheltered they are to the wider world. If those views are working for you personally, so be it but they just might not fit with how a lot of people see the world and their lives in it. 

So "venturing to guess" that room full of women who he shares a belief system with, would value something that said belief system teaches to be two of the most important parts of life is now offensive to them?

No, it isn't. It's offensive to those who don't share the same belief system, and that's fine, but the speech wasn't written for or delivered to them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You should take your own advice and read it all, not just a selected excerpt. 

It's so cringe, I wouldn't fault you from skipping a lot of it, but AG is focused on gender roles stuff (as they often are, oddly). There's equally clownish content across the board though:

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine?amp

I've already listened to the whole thing. We all understand your ideology Incog, you make it abundantly clear. Half the world thinks the opposite of you.

• Like 1

Selected works of cringe, by Harrison Butker:

"Being locked in with your vocation and staying in your lane is going to be the surest way for you to find true happiness and peace in this life."

"As a group, you witnessed firsthand how bad leaders who don't stay in their lane can have a negative impact on society"

"so instead of fitting in the world by going along to get along, they too need to stay in their lane and lead"

"But this does make me reflect on staying in my lane"

"It is safe to say that over the past few years, I have gained quite the reputation for speaking my mind. I never envisioned myself, nor wanted, to have this sort of a platform, but God has given it to me, so I have no other choice but to embrace it and preach more hard truths about accepting your lane and staying in it."

Holy cringe.

We all have lanes, folks, and Harrison Butker is here to tell us what our lanes are and how we should stay in them.

Instant red flag for anyone who doesn't super cringe reading this guy lol woowww

• Like 1