NFL News & Notes

Leader

32 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So you'll see them in Detroit, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. because they're not putting Superbowls there.

Detroit's hosted two super bowls...though it's been awhile for some reason. I would bet that if Chicago puts up that domed facility...they'll host a SB there.

14 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Super easy again...

NJ= really NYC and every single food/nightlife option imaginable, everything is famous

Baltimore= crab/old bay and fells point

LA = weather/beaches and every single food/nightlife option plus everything is famous

Detroit= home of ICP "whoot whoot(maybe whoop whoop?)"/the point of my joke

Philly= cheese steaks/South St/history

Yes, none of that does anything for me. I don’t like people enough already then make me go out to the coasts where they’re all crazy? Nope.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leader said:

Detroit's hosted two super bowls...though it's been awhile for some reason. I would bet that if Chicago puts up that domed facility...they'll host a SB there.

They only really do superbowls in domed northern cities shortly after they build a new stadium.  Like Minnesota had it in 2018 after they build the new stadium, but almost surely won't get another one until they build another stadium.  Detroit got it in 2006 3 years after Ford Field opened and in 1982 six seasons after the Silverdome opened.  Heck, the Cowboys haven't even gotten a second Super Bowl after Jerry World opened.

I'm pretty sure the NFL considers bids to host the draft primarily on "teams that are model franchises who we want to reward but we won't give them the superbowl any time in the near future if ever."   Like the reason the Packers are getting the draft next year is because of all the work (and money) they put into the shopping and events district around the stadium.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure the NFL considers bids to host the draft primarily on "teams that are model franchises who we want to reward but we won't give them the superbowl..."

This. Hosting the draft is the consolation prize for cities that have little to no chance at hosting a Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I don't know... I don't think they'd risk it often but a snow game could be the stuff of NFL legend

The howls of "How could you allow a SB to be degraded like this" would be never ending if the conditions of one of those "classic" games were to occur for a SB - when there's numerous warm weather or indoor sites available. 

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't know... I don't think they'd risk it often but a snow game could be the stuff of NFL legend

All the suits in the crowd would love that lol. 

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's not just the SB itself, there is also the 2-week lead up to the game.  It just makes way more sense to have the location be fan friendly weather.

Good weather is a positive but the league has shown they’ll overlook that as long as there is a roof or you’re New York. I do sadly believe Green Bay is one of the few cities that will never host one.

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The NFL got lucky with the one Super Bowl they did up north and outside. I want to say it was NY who hosted it. I don't think they would ever press their luck again. 

New York is also a place with like abundant hotel space and things to do inside if the weather doesn't cooperate, and with a maritime climate we're not like talking "the snow makes it impossible to get to the game" which is the apocalyptic scenario.

Like if they had the Super Bowl in Kansas City and they had the same weather that they had for the KC/MIA game in the playoffs last season, that would have been a serious problem for the NFL.

• Like 1

An interesting blurb I came across from a podcast transcript over at The Ringer.   The podcast was discussing the new NBA media rights deal, but they hit on the general topic of why streaming services want live sports.  They specifically mentioned the NFL playoff game that was streamed on Peacock, and how it worked out for NBC.

NBC put an NFL playoff game, a wild-card playoff game, exclusively on Peacock. They saw an enormous number—I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but they saw an enormous number of sign-ups. And you would think that people would sign up for Peacock, watch a game, and then try to save, what, $10 a month or whatever Peacock costs, and then ditch the service. What they found is that close to 70 percent of the people that signed up for that game stuck with the service and started watching other things on the service.