NFL News & Notes

Leader

18 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

If the Browns pull this trade off, the AFC North race gets even more interesting.  Watson, Chubb, Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy and Njoku to go with that elite defense?  Not bad. 

CLE paying Watson that crazy contract only to have Watson be the weak link would be hilarious.

22 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

If the Browns pull this trade off, the AFC North race gets even more interesting.  Watson, Chubb, Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy and Njoku to go with that elite defense?  Not bad. 

Cooper would go back to SF. Can't afford him and give Aiyuk a deal. 

26 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The report claims that SF has worked out trade terms with both CLE and NE, and the ball is now in Aiyuk's court to get an extension done with one of those teams.

I think it would be funny if he couldn't come to terms with either team because he wants to be the highest paid WR. He'd have to go back to the 49ers with his tail between his legs. 

If that plays out, I hope the 49ers tell him no new deal, play on the tag. 

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cooper would go back to SF. Can't afford him and give Aiyuk a deal. 

No chance! Why would the 49ers take him as compensation? He's in the last year of his deal. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

No chance! Why would the 49ers take him as compensation? He's in the last year of his deal. 

Because they don't have time for a receiving core of Ricky Pearsall (hurt), Jauan Jennings, Jacob Cowling, Ronnie Bell and Danny Gray behind Deebo in the last year they can compete for a SB without having a high paid QB ? 

Him being in the last year of his deal is perfect for them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because they don't have time for a receiving core of Ricky Pearsall (hurt), Jauan Jennings, Jacob Cowling, Ronnie Bell and Danny Gray behind Deebo in the last year they can compete for a SB without having a high paid QB ? 

Him being in the last year of his deal is perfect for them. 

So, Cleveland is going to trade away their #1 WR, for a new #1 WR they have to pay at or near the top of the food chain and likely give up a decent draft pick.

How does this make Cleveland better? 

Dumb organizations do dumb things, and Cleveland is definitely a dumb organization.

Edited by Old Guy

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If I'm a NE fan, I would have much rather seen Wolf bide his time with Brissett at QB while drafting WR Harrison at #3 vs drafting Maye at #3 and then trying to swing a trade for Aiyuk.

I only know a couple NE fans, and both of them already hate Wolf over this exact thing.

I don't know how this is hard to understand, but apparently it is.

New regimes want "their" QB.  That is #1 on the GM wish list.  You build around a QB.

I dig Harrison, but he's just a WR.  He may very well be a generational one, but he's still a WR.  Someone needs to get him the ball.  That ain't Brissett.  So in this draft, we had a lot of QB's projected in the first round.  Kindda rare to see that many.  Wolf took advantage and took the best guy for the club.

Now he's working on the WR.

So, what I'm hearing is Brissett+Harrison > Maye+Aiyuk.  If I'm building for the future, I'm going Maye/Aiyuk over Brisset/Harrison.  And...we shall see if they really do land Aiyuk.

Odds are Lynch wants Aiyuk back.  But I'll guess the conversation is easy.  49ers don't have the cash to give him what he wants.  They have to pay their QB and already have a WR/TE/RB making a lot of money...and a LT wanting more.  While paying Bosa/Warner top dollars.  Thinking Hargrove makes a lot, too.  This isn't about attitude or play for Aiyuk, it is a financial decision.

So like then there is GB.  Didn't need a QB when they took Love.  But, they were close enough to a guy that they had ranked high on their board.  It is likely that they don't sniff that kind of QB talent for a few years in the draft, if at all.  So they took him.  Now you can relate that to NE.  Maye went, what, 3rd overall?  No guarantee that NE will be drafting #3 again.  They identified a kid as their QB and took him.  It isn't that hard to understand.

Like everything player wise, projection to the NFL is one thing....time will tell us how accurate the scouting was.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is the 'framework for a deal,' with Aiyuk/SF or SF trading Aiyuk someplace else? 

Sounds like the compensation for the trade is worked out for a few clubs.  Now Aiyuk can see which can pay him what he wants, then the trade may be executed.

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think it would be funny if he couldn't come to terms with either team because he wants to be the highest paid WR. He'd have to go back to the 49ers with his tail between his legs. 

If that plays out, I hope the 49ers tell him no new deal, play on the tag. 

You really think that these teams would work hard on a deal if they weren't willing to pay Aiyuk what he wants?  

And....if San Fran comes out of this with only draft picks, that is a "win" for us other contenders in the NFC.

If they come out of this with a good player on a cheaper deal, plus a lower pick, well....ungh.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You really think that these teams would work hard on a deal if they weren't willing to pay Aiyuk what he wants?  

And....if San Fran comes out of this with only draft picks, that is a "win" for us other contenders in the NFC.

If they come out of this with a good player on a cheaper deal, plus a lower pick, well....ungh.

If the money was worked out, there would be a trade completed already. 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, Cleveland is going to trade away their #1 WR, for a new #1 WR they have to pay at or near the top of the food chain and likely give up a decent draft pick.

How does this make Cleveland better? 

Dumb organizations do dumb things, and Cleveland is definitely a dumb organization.

One is 26 years old and one is 30, and the 26 year old is better than the 30 year old. 

Would it be dumb of GB to use Kenny Clark in a deal to get Quinnen Williams? (if Kenny was still in his last year). 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If the money was worked out, there would be a trade completed already. 

The devil is always in the details.  How and when the money is paid.  Odds are both clubs know his demands, so we are talking about structure and culture here.

Aiyuk is probably weighing both offers and is speaking to a lot of people from both clubs.  He's being recruited.

As a WR, where you going if the money is the same?  The Patriots, rich in tradition, playing in the snow and who has a rookie under center?  Defensive minded HC.  

Or the Browns, with a controversial, but sometimes very good QB.  Excellent defense.  An offensive identity of running with Chubb.  And ....playing in the snow?

My guess is that if NE really wants him, they gotta offer a little more cash and maybe a little more in compensation to be sure to get him from San Fran.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One is 26 years old and one is 30, and the 26 year old is better than the 30 year old. 

Would it be dumb of GB to use Kenny Clark in a deal to get Quinnen Williams? (if Kenny was still in his last year). 

Cleveland shouldn't be in the trade discussion at all. Given the cluster**** that is the Watson contract and their cap situation going forward, putting another contract at the top of the food chain and giving up a decent pick is just stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Cleveland shouldn't be in the trade discussion at all. Given the cluster**** that is the Watson contract and their cap situation going forward, putting another contract at the top of the food chain and giving up a decent pick is just stupid. 

Yeah, the contract is stupid, but there are no outs. Throwing their hands up and admitting it gets everyone fired. Aiyuk on an efficiency basis was WR1 in the whole NFL last year. If it hits and you make a run in the next 1-2 years, you may survive the Watson contract as HC/GM. If it flops, oh well you were going to be fired if you did nothing anyway. They gave him that deal, and being as aggressive as they were the day they gave it to him is their only shot. 

• Like 1