NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Yeah, the contract is stupid, but there are no outs. Throwing their hands up and admitting it gets everyone fired. Aiyuk on an efficiency basis was WR1 in the whole NFL last year. If it hits and you make a run in the next 1-2 years, you may survive the Watson contract as HC/GM. If it flops, oh well you were going to be fired if you did nothing anyway. They gave him that deal, and being as aggressive as they were the day they gave it to him is their only shot. 

Is it actually throwing your hands up though? They went and got Jeudy and Elijah Moore. They don't suck at WR with Cooper. Not to mention the pick they are going to part with.

That Cleveland defense is good. They can compete this year without him and the inevitable purging that is going to go on next year.

They are projected to be over the cap next year by 60 million. In 2026 they are projected to be over the cap by 15 million That is ******* crazy! 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is it actually throwing your hands up though? They went and got Jeudy and Elijah Moore. They don't suck at WR with Cooper. Not to mention the pick they are going to part with.

That Cleveland defense is good. They can compete this year without him and the inevitable purging that is going to go on next year.

They are projected to be over the cap next year by 60 million. In 2026 they are projected to be over the cap by 15 million That is ******* crazy! 

It's all moot because I don't think the Browns are where he ends up, but Aiyuk is a stud, they'll have to go the Saints route, but they could make it work. 

More details on Aiyuk trade scenarios.  At this point, and a trade is looking likely, even though the details don't seem to totally sync up.

The article makes these claims

1. SF has come to terms with both CLE and NE on trade compensation.
  2. NE is willing to give Aiyuk a top-5 WR contract.
  3. It's now up to Aiyuk to accept a contract.

If all of that is true, it seems like Aiyuk should already be a Patriot.  Could be he's using NE as leverage and actually wants to land in CLE where the team is much better.

One team 'aggressively' pursuing 49ers star, willing to make him top 5 paid WR

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

More details on Aiyuk trade scenarios.  At this point, and a trade is looking likely, even though the details don't seem to totally sync up.

The article makes these claims

1. SF has come to terms with both CLE and NE on trade compensation.
  2. NE is willing to give Aiyuk a top-5 WR contract.
  3. It's now up to Aiyuk to accept a contract.

If all of that is true, it seems like Aiyuk should already be a Patriot.  Could be he's using NE as leverage and actually wants to land in CLE where the team is much better.

One team 'aggressively' pursuing 49ers star, willing to make him top 5 paid WR

I'm sure he'd rather be in Cleveland (I can't believe I actually typed that), but I don't see Cleveland being able to pay him where he thinks he should be. Cleveland already has a decent starting trio or WRs. They are also ****ed cap wise going forward. If Cleveland makes the move, they believe it is the missing piece to getting them to the Super Bowl. 

Both situations will suck right now pretty much. 

Posted (edited)

Was gonna post about the possible Aiyuk trade...but see that it's yesterday's news and folks are already on it. Apparently $$$ isnt the only determinant when it comes to trades.

Edited by Leader

Sounds like NE is out on Aiyuk.  Also being reported that Aiyuk has turned down multiple contract offers from teams looking to acquire him. I assume that's why NE is backing out.  They won't meet his contract demands.

55 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sounds like NE is out on Aiyuk.  Also being reported that Aiyuk has turned down multiple contract offers from teams looking to acquire him. I assume that's why NE is backing out.  They won't meet his contract demands.

Maybe Wolf did learn from Ted “we’re in every conversation” Thompson when it comes to free agency. Agents would always throw the Pack in there as teams that were interested when it came time to make their client’s market look as strong as possible. 

I thought this was pretty funny.

@AdamSchefter

Sources: After inquiring about Brandon Aiyuk’s availability, the Patriots have decided not to explore any further trade possibilities with the 49ers regarding their standout wide receiver. Patriots are excited about their young receivers and want to focus on them.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

If what Brandt is saying is true, it's less about NE and more about Aiyuk.  Sounds like NE met Aiyuk's number, but Aiyuk turned them down because he doesn't want to go there.

54 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I thought this was pretty funny.

I think you are spot on. It seems Aiyuk wants his money and a chance to win. Not to mention the risk of going to a team with shaky, at best, quarterback play can ruin a chance at a good third contract. 

Is Pittsburgh still trying to land him? I heard they were back in. 

It would be funny if none of the teams decided to move forward, and he was stuck. 

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It would be funny if none of the teams decided to move forward, and he was stuck. 

There's worse things in life than making 14.1M to play on a team with aspirations of returning to the SB they played in just a few months ago. Ultimately, he'll get his cash somewhere. How much...I couldnt care less actually. I think the high end WR salaries are getting a bit ridiculous....but it's not my money. 

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

There's worse things in life than making 14.1M to play on a team with aspirations of returning to the SB they played in just a few months ago. Ultimately, he'll get his cash somewhere. How much...I couldnt care less actually. I think the high end WR salaries are getting a bit ridiculous....but it's not my money. 

He's pretty dug in on his position. Not sure he's coming back anytime soon. He may actually wait until he's got to come into accrue his 5th year. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He's pretty dug in on his position. Not sure he's coming back anytime soon. He may actually wait until he's got to come into accrue his 5th year. 

Eventually he's gonna have to make a move. Either bet on himself and play out his contract this year with SF and cash in as a FA in 2025 - or - accept more cash (and guarantees) than he's gonna pull down this year by accepting a trade to a lesser team. I dont much care either way so long as he stays out of our hair (read: Division).