NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Eventually he's gonna have to make a move. Either bet on himself and play out his contract this year with SF and cash in as a FA in 2025 - or - accept more cash (and guarantees) than he's gonna pull down this year by accepting a trade to a lesser team. I dont much care either way so long as he stays out of our hair (read: Division). 

Him leaving makes the 49ers worse. I'm all for them trading him. 

• Like 2

A lot depends on whether Aiyuk has burned any bridges with SF.  With how this is playing out, I would not be shocked to see Aiyuk sign the deal SF has had on the table for weeks.  It's probably the best contract he'll be offered if he's only going to sign with specific teams.

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Him leaving makes the 49ers worse. I'm all for them trading him. 

Works for me as well....so long as he doesnt wind up with one our other top NFC comp. As for SF suffering after him leaving....perhaps, but I dont think for long. They (much like us) are a system offense and while neither is exactly plug and play w/o repercussions....they're pretty steady.

I think the loss of CMC would affect SF more.

I want to see Aiyuk to PIT just for the inevitable fireworks that will come from Aiyuk and Pickens both wanting to be top dog in the WR room.

That... and the fact that being forced to sell low on Aiyuk would be a legit blow to SF.

41 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Haven't thought about it in a while, but now I am back to wondering if the rumors of Aiyuk being the target of Gute's trade up rather than Love in 2020 are true.  If so, bullet dodged.

I think the most plausible explanation is that they were on the phone to move up before the 49ers turned in the pick.  If the 49ers drafted Jordan Love, they would have taken Aiyuk, if they drafted AIyuk the Packers would take Love, and if they took neither then the Packers would pick their preferred option here.

Remember that teams negotiate about what it will cost to move around in various rounds before the draft starts.  You might be in a position where you're looking at a 4th to move from 30th to 26th, but a 3rd to move from 30th to 25th.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Haven't thought about it in a while, but now I am back to wondering if the rumors of Aiyuk being the target of Gute's trade up rather than Love in 2020 are true.  If so, bullet dodged.

I think there was genuine interest and we couldn’t trade up past the 9ers. Of course we had an eye on Love but Aiyuk with Tae would have been nasty and would have been a pretty nice hurrah for AR. When that wasn’t available, we went QBotF. Not mad but we would have seen some fireworks.

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So it's Pittsburgh or bust for Aiyuk?!  That just seems weird.

Until you realize he’s reuniting with his dad at HC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Excellent.  I expect it will work out great for everyone involved, other than PIT and SF.

Seriously. The dynamic you mentioned between the WR is gonna be interesting. I wonder if PIT's getting the weapon for Russ or Fields.

16 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Once again reminds me why I’m ok with the DeVante Adams trade

We hit that one right out of the park. Credit to Gute and also Tae for being mature about it and keeping it mostly in house and limiting the bad blood. Both sides got what they wanted, but one side definitely got the better deal. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 3