NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The point may very well be that the league doesn't watch press conferences unless there's a reason to do. 

At least that will be the plausible deniability.

Their plausible deniability is that they made a rule, but don't do the follow through to enforce it? 

They're better off from a PR standpoint admitting they were lax in enforcing their rules and will move forward with a more strict enforcement.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Their plausible deniability is that they made a rule, but don't do the follow through to enforce it? 

i don't know how many time this needs to be restated...

THE LEAGUE GAVE DEFERENCE TO THE INDIVIDUAL TEAMS TO ENFORCE THE PROTOCOLS

*edit - likely with the wink-nod of "don't be a clown show and you are the masters of your domain". Which, of course, is very attractive to the teams and they would love having their own control without the league breathing down their necks.

Edited by incognito_man

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

i would start by first questioning your own built-in assumptions about it

what assumption are you suggesting needs questioned?

i am operating from the fact that it would have cost zero dollars to send that memo. 

i am operating from the assumption that multiple eyes in the league office have seen post game press conferences this year. two pirates or one administrator at least. this has been going on for many weeks.

i am operating from the assumption that the nfl would rather talk about football than covid mid-season. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well it's clear the teams don't want to enforce the interview rule, so they should just dump it.

This is the sort of logic used by folks who want to get rid of speed limits, vaccines, and barn doors that hold cows in.

We as humans understand that rules are not followed 100% of the time. However, it is completely nonsensical to remove rules that are not followed by everyone. 

"Everybody goes 10mph over the speed limit - let's remove them!" - Net result is that now many, many unqualified people now go 30-40mph faster than they previously did and innocent people die.

"Nobody dies from measles anymore - we don't need to keep vaccinating people for it!" - Net result is that BECAUSE the safeguard in place it is WORKING to prevent the undesirable outcome.

"Some players do not wear masks in press conferences - we don't need to enforce protocols anymore!" - Net result is even MORE protocols would be broken and it would turn into an even bigger clown show.

And the barn door one speaks for itself, I believe.

Edited by incognito_man

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/multiple-teams-offered-packages-including-three-first-round-picks-for-deshaun-wa

If some team offered Houston 3 first round picks and they didn't take it...my god

I can't wait to see what we get for aaron now

The article seems to indicate that it was Watson's legal situation was the hangup.

If Stafford moved for 2 first round picks, Watson could have been at least 3 first round picks, and (years ago) Sam Bradford was worth a first round pick then anything less than two firsts and a player or a mid round pick would be an absolute failure for the Packers FO.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is the sort of logic used by folks who want to get rid of speed limits, vaccines, and barn doors that hold cows in.

We as humans understand that rules are not followed 100% of the time. However, it is completely nonsensical to remove rules that are not followed by everyone. 

"Everybody goes 10mph over the speed limit - let's remove them!" - Net result is that now many, many unqualified people now go 30-40mph faster than they previously did and innocent people die.

"Nobody dies from measles anymore - we don't need to keep vaccinating people for it!" - Net result is that BECAUSE the safeguard in place it is WORKING to prevent the undesirable outcome.

"Some players do not wear masks in press conferences - we don't need to enforce protocols anymore!" - Net result is even MORE protocols would be broken and it would turn into an even bigger clown show.

And the barn door one speaks for itself, I believe.

I don't disagree with any of this, but if the NFL put teams in charge of enforcing press conference rules, they need to answer why they're stepping in now and not in preseason, and claiming "we just don't watch the press conferences" sounds like the most idiotic response they could have. They just need to come out and say they didn't do their job but will going forward.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but if the NFL put teams in charge of enforcing press conference rules, they need to answer why they're stepping in now and not in preseason, and claiming "we just don't watch the press conferences" sounds like the most idiotic response they could have. They just need to come out and say they didn't do their job but will going forward.

Because it turned into a clown show and garnered national attention...

Our team failed to hold up the end of the bargain.

Edited by incognito_man

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Because it turned into a clown show and garnered national attention...

Our team failed to hold up the end of the bargain.

Of course, but the NFL can't say "well Aaron Rodgers turned this into a clown show so we decided to start enforcing the rules 3 months in." 

They'll have to come up with a reason why multiple teams broke this rule, but the Packers are the only team being punished. 

We all know what the actual reason is, but the NFL can't get into a finger point match with its MVP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course, but the NFL can't say "well Aaron Rodgers turned this into a clown show so we decided to start enforcing the rules 3 months in." 

They'll have to come up with a reason why multiple teams broke this rule, but the Packers are the only team being punished. 

We all know what the actual reason is, but the NFL can't get into a finger point match with its MVP.

i think after the revelation that he was unvaxed they were ready to get into a finger point match with the MVP, what it seems they didn't account for how widespread the infractions were. this is many vs. the league office.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm very confident they will find a way to selectively punish Rodgers and GB. There are reams of data and they will find multiple violations.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i think after the revelation that he was unvaxed they were ready to get into a finger point match with the MVP, what it seems they didn't account for how widespread the infractions were. this is many vs. the league office.

The league new his status in July, the only revelation was the public finding out.

• Like 1

A rule is a rule, but I do agree with 12 it's kind of dumb. I mean all the reporters are vaxed, wearing masks and like 20 feet away. It's basically everything you want in social distancing. I'm more annoyed with the Halloween party TBH. That being said I'm sure the league will do something.