Overrated Vs Underrated Draft Prospects

Mind Character

It's that time of the year again.

The draftnik community is in full frenzy and we're all making predictions about other human beings abilities on something called the interweb.

Nows the time when people finally watch a highlight or game or 2 of a prospect and realize what's been said all year is ridiculous or instead they double down on their buffoonery.

I predicted before the season started that Derwin James was overrated and was more likely a LB that can moonlight at SS than a true safety prospect. He's still a good player, but not the surefire consensus top 10 pick.

There are many prospects that after film review I can't stand and don't want them anywhere near the Browns. Furthermore, I'd be pissed if we selected them.

There are others that are hidden gems, or that don't get enough love.

---------------------------------------------

Just Pure Bad Tape/Stay Away:

1, Damon Webb, S Ohio STate

2. Quin Blanding, S Virginia

Overrated:

1. Arden Key, DE LSU

2. Connor Williams, OT Texas

3. Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan

4. Derwin James, LB/S FSU

5. Dante Pettis, WR Washington

6, Orlando Brown, OT Oklahoma

Underrated:

1. Marcus Allen, SS Penn State

2. Carlton Davis, CB Auburn

3. Sam Beal, CB Western Michigan

4. Jamal Peters, CB Miss. St.

I personally like Dante Pettis from Washington and wouldn't mind him in the late 4th round on, which is where he's projected. Based off of that alone, I don't think that there's any way you could possibly call him overrated. He'll be a nice WR#2 in the NFL in my opinion if given a year or two to develop. He's got above average height at 6'1 and needs to put some more weight on his frame at under 200 pounds, but he's a fantastic route runner and very quick. He reminds me of a much more athletic version of Hollywood Higgins.

This is going to sound really strange, but I'm going to put it out there.

I actually think Sam Darnold is underrated.

I know he's the likely (hopefully) #1 pick, but I read and listen to the media talk about him and I question whether they've actually watched him extensively. They've built a narrative around him that at best is ignorant and lazy, and at worst is complete arse.

I believe he is a better QB prospect than many are making him out to be.

24 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

This is going to sound really strange, but I'm going to put it out there.

I actually think Sam Darnold is underrated.

I know he's the likely (hopefully) #1 pick, but I read and listen to the media talk about him and I question whether they've actually watched him extensively. They've built a narrative around him that at best is ignorant and lazy, and at worst is complete arse.

I believe he is a better QB prospect than many are making him out to be.

I think the thing that holds Darnold back is how raw he is as a QB. What, he has only been a QB since he was a senior in HS. I think if he went back and came out next hear, his “hype” or level of prospect would be even higher. Maybe even around Luck type hype. 

I would love to get Cousins and build the team around him through the draft and FA. But I like the idea of going McCarron and darnold. You get McCarron and you make Hue prove himself, if not, it’s how grave he made and can’t throw anyone under the bus anymore. Just hope McCarron becomes a UFA

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Just Pure Bad Tape/Stay Away:

1, Damon Webb, S Ohio STate

2. Quin Blanding, S Virginia

Not for or against these prospects but isn't it kinda hard to say good or bad tape if we don't know the defensive call/coverage check and what their individual assignment was on that play? Just was asking, I know for me in coaching, I need to know the call first to know where everyone supposed to be then I can determine who did a good or bad thing. (Now of course taking bad angles and missing tackles don't need a play call, but everything else?)

Just was asking...

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not for or against these prospects but isn't it kinda hard to say good or bad tape if we don't know the defensive call/coverage check and what their individual assignment was on that play? Just was asking, I know for me in coaching, I need to know the call first to know where everyone supposed to be then I can determine who did a good or bad thing. (Now of course taking bad angles and missing tackles don't need a play call, but everything else?)

Just was asking...

It be hard for me to stay away from a DB from tOSU tho. The talent they have and the coaching the recieve gives them a very solid foundation. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It be hard for me to stay away from a DB from tOSU tho. The talent they have and the coaching the recieve gives them a very solid foundation. 

100% facts, In tOSU's case, the coaching is on par with NFL coaching. Coombs and Schiano are as good as there is in college football, Coombs may be the best as far as corners.

54 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% facts, In tOSU's case, the coaching is on par with NFL coaching. Coombs and Schiano are as good as there is in college football, Coombs may be the best as far as corners.

Not to mention the talent there.

Scrubs aren’t getting PT in that group.  

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I wouldn’t take him with a first. But to say stay away, c’mon. Also he can legit play both corner or safety. In 15 he played a lot of time as a corner before moving to safety in 16 to become a full time starter. He has been getting a lot of praise during shrine practices from scouts

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I wouldn’t take him with a first. But to say stay away, c’mon. Also he can legit play both corner or safety. In 15 he played a lot of time as a corner before moving to safety in 16 to become a full time starter. He has been getting a lot of praise during shrine practices from scouts

My personal assessment of Webb is, he is just a step too slow, I absolutely love the guy, smart, will do everything you ask, pretty positive guy, but his athleticism scares me

8 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Mel Kiper has Josh Allen going to us at #1 overall in his latest mock. By that measure, he's overrated with a capital O.

Bro, there has been a lot of smoke with this Josh Allen stuff, if this is true, he better get it right because that is the quickest way to see your way out of town.

9 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Mel Kiper has Josh Allen going to us at #1 overall in his latest mock. By that measure, he's overrated with a capital O.

Of course he does, he’s gotta put someone there now and change his mock half a dozen times between now and draft day for clicks.

I can’t think of a bigger waste of time then reading these “expert’s” mocks imo. “Here’s my opinion on something I have no personal knowledge of and has been proven to be mostly incorrect every year.  Stay tuned next week and my opinion will change despite no new information!”

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Bro, there has been a lot of smoke with this Josh Allen stuff, if this is true, he better get it right because that is the quickest way to see your way out of town.

False.

Accepting a job from Jimmy Truck Stop is the quickest way out of town, followed closely by not being Hue’s bootlicker it would seem.

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Only way I would truly hate that pick is if they don’t bring in a legit bridge QB. I want a QB who could at least start two years 

Archived