Positional Analysis: WR

WindyCity

Give me Cam, Wilson, and Cobb from this list. I just don't trust Landry, and man this past season dude had 8.8 Y/R. With that, I'd draft a kid in round 2 and hopefully Cobb can be that established veteran that can teach our kids a thing or two.

1. Meredith (25)
2. Cobb (27)
3. Wilson (25)
4. Christian Kirk/James Washington
5. White (25)

You can probably cut Cobb in a year or two and bump up one of the kids.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This is not my post but I thought it provided a lot of great information:

This post had a lot of good information, to add to it a bit it is important to look at who was the QB for them too.

Brown - Big Ben

Allenn - Rivers

Hill - Smith

Cooks - Brady

Thomas - Brees

Jones - Ryan

Cobb - Rodgers

Landry - Tannehill/Cutler/Moore

Of those clearly Landry has had the worst QB(s) throwing to him, and by a large margin IMO. Switch him and any of the other QBs and his stats become even more impressive. This is why I would be all over him if I did not feel he was a complete diva. Trubisky is an ascending talent and he is a massive safety blanket. He isn't a freak athlete but he is the opposite of Kevin White - a damn FOOTBALL PLAYER.  Fumbling is a major issue as AZ pointed out, but I feel like that can be corrected, even Tiki Barber had major fumbling issues but worked on it.

My dream scenario is

- We get Landry with a 4 year/$52 mil deal (matches Alshon - and we can dump Landry after Trubisky's 5th year option when Trubisky gets his big raise) Plus that lets younger guys develop

- We trade back and draft Kirk in the mid-to-late, who I think is a special talent and is the most similar to Tyreek Hill in physical gifts/potential and will check off every combine measurable the Chiefs' WRs have.

- Use the 3rd round pick garnered in said tradeback to get Antonio Callaway. He is a first round talent and like Hill drops because of stupid decisions. If he passes the interview with flying colors then he could be a steal in the mid-rounds, as he is a 1st round talent. He is also a speedy player who will check off the Combine boxes as well.

- Sign Meredith to a RFA tender, in case he is not healing as quickly as we hope.

That gives us  -

Landry

Meredith

Kirk

Callaway

Wright

White (IR date TBD)/Inman

We will be going 3 and 4 wide if we do anything like the Chiefs offense. Landry and Meredith are both deadly in the slot, Kirk and Callaway have the speed to challenge deep every day, and they can rotate frequently with this depth. If Meredith does have continuing issues with his knees. If he is re-signed then I rather do it sooner rather than later. With Landry we get a true number one, Meredith is a high 2, and both Kirk and Callaway have star potential. And if Callaway flames out, Pace isn't going to be on the hot seat over a 3rd round pick. This has a ton of potential for us and especially for Trubisky.

If Landry wants more than the contract I gave though, I want Cobb.

@Sugashane knowing Pace, though, don't you think that Landry and anyone else with even a hint of character issues will not be on his radar?

I'm sure he will have someone reach out to Cutler/Gase and see how that kid really is behind closed doors, no?

Just now, G08 said:

@Sugashane knowing Pace, though, don't you think that Landry and anyone else with even a hint of character issues will not be on his radar?

I'm sure he will have someone reach out to Cutler/Gase and see how that kid really is behind closed doors, no?

That is a valid point, but I am wondering if Pace's priority was to re-establish a solid locker room when he interviewed for the position. Emery and Trestman lost it, and Fox isn't someone who can own strong personalities like Carroll has for his entire tenure in SEA. Now we have guys like Trubisky, Sitton, Long, Hicks, DT, Whitehair, Howard, Cohen and hopefully re-signing Fuller. That is a solid core to any locker room, especially since we have a QB that owns the offense unquestionably. I don't feel like someone like Landry has a chance of ruining that, and I thought the off-field charge was dropped. If there is more, IDK honestly. Plus I bet he has already done his research on Landry, and knows weather he will pursue him or not by now. You don't hire a coach that quickly unless you have already done a lot of research, and I imagine he would be as detailed in his player assessments as well.

Either way with the core he has built in Chicago of high-character guys, I don't think he is going to shy away from someone. He took a swing with Ray McDonald with a weaker locker room and Ray had far less potential. I could see him taking a swing with Landry or Callaway, though the investment required makes it far easier to take a swing on Callaway. Pace also isn't afraid to cut loose dead weight it seems, as he signed his FAs this year with easy outs. I would not be surprised if he would only offer a deal with an out if Landry had a domestic violence charge (such as a domestic violence charge allows the the Bears to void the remaining years of the deal for example). If Landry turned his nose at that, then thank him and tell him to GTFO so he can call Cobb's agent in peace and quiet. lol

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Landry would be a move because you need to maximize the next 4 years when Trubisky is cheap.

Not saying it is wrong, but it is a lot of money for a chance to take a big step before you need to pay Trubisky.

Exactly my point above. Get the best player you can before Trubisky's contract becomes an albatross.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

That is a valid point, but I am wondering if Pace's priority was to re-establish a solid locker room when he interviewed for the position. Emery and Trestman lost it, and Fox isn't someone who can own strong personalities like Carroll has for his entire tenure in SEA. Now we have guys like Trubisky, Sitton, Long, Hicks, DT, Whitehair, Howard, Cohen and hopefully re-signing Fuller. That is a solid core to any locker room, especially since we have a QB that owns the offense unquestionably. I don't feel like someone like Landry has a chance of ruining that, and I thought the off-field charge was dropped. If there is more, IDK honestly. Plus I bet he has already done his research on Landry, and knows weather he will pursue him or not by now. You don't hire a coach that quickly unless you have already done a lot of research, and I imagine he would be as detailed in his player assessments as well.

Either way with the core he has built in Chicago of high-character guys, I don't think he is going to shy away from someone. He took a swing with Ray McDonald with a weaker locker room and Ray had far less potential. I could see him taking a swing with Landry or Callaway, though the investment required makes it far easier to take a swing on Callaway. Pace also isn't afraid to cut loose dead weight it seems, as he signed his FAs this year with easy outs. I would not be surprised if he would only offer a deal with an out if Landry had a domestic violence charge (such as a domestic violence charge allows the the Bears to void the remaining years of the deal for example). If Landry turned his nose at that, then thank him and tell him to GTFO so he can call Cobb's agent in peace and quiet. lol

Great point about Pace.  I've always wondered if Pace's rep as someone who only hires boy scouts was deserved. And don't forget the 2 fabulous weeks of the Ray McDonald show...

Now that he's got control of the roster I fully expect at least some of the Pace stereotypes to fall away;  bigger FA deals,  more risky guys.  I would also love to see the first round trade-up go away as well!

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

Great point about Pace.  I've always wondered if Pace's rep as someone who only hires boy scouts was deserved. And don't forget the 2 fabulous weeks of the Ray McDonald show...

Now that he's got control of the roster I fully expect at least some of the Pace stereotypes to fall away;  bigger FA deals,  more risky guys.  I would also love to see the first round trade-up go away as well!

Exactly. He isn't trying to keep his job right now, he already has his extension. He is safe and no matter what, wins will offer job security more than having a team full of "great guys." Winning also keeps crappy personalities at bay usually too.

Let us hope that he doesn't choose now to test his pet theory of drafting all tennis players in the hope that their physical talents translate or something!

Bring on FA!  My own guess is that we get Richarson and Landry and maybe a really low end street body type.  I would like to see Inman back.  I also hope they bring back Wheaton just so we can all chip in and buy Windy his jersey.  Bellamy's too. 

My guess on Landry is it will come in around Adams, plus a little to fight off other suitors.

4 years 60 million 34 guaranteed

-20 million signing bonus
-10 million more guaranteed at signing [injury]
-4 million in guaranteed per/year bonuses

Cap Hits

Year 1: 6 million salary, 5 roster bonus, 5 signing bonus  [16]
Year 2: 6 million salary. 5 roster bonuns, 5 signing bonus [16]
Year 3: 7 million salary, 5 signing bonus, 2 roster bonus [March 17, 2020] [14, 10 if cut]
Year 4 7 million salary 5 signing bonus, 2 roster bonus [March 17, 2021] [14, 5 if cut]

Cash Payments

Year 1: 31 million [6 salary, 20 signing bonus, 5 roster bonus]
Year 2: 11 million 
Year 3: 9 million
Year 4: 9 million

Very easily could happen. We know Pace has a lot riding on the offense.

I think it is a risk, but I also cannot tell you Paul Richardson is as talented as Landry or as sure a thing to come in and produce.

Tough spot with the free agent WR market drying up.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Very easily could happen. We know Pace has a lot riding on the offense.

I think it is a risk, but I also cannot tell you Paul Richardson is as talented as Landry or as sure a thing to come in and produce.

Tough spot with the free agent WR market drying up.

This offense craves speed though, doesn't it? Landry was a 4.77 guy at the combine and 4.61 on his Pro Day...

(not saying timed speed is the end-all-be-all, but it should be noted)

1 minute ago, G08 said:

This offense craves speed though, doesn't it? Landry was a 4.77 guy at the combine and 4.61 on his Pro Day...

(not saying timed speed is the end-all-be-all, but it should be noted)

We also crave talent. Landry and Cobb are the best 2 by a mile. Landry produced with crap QBs and Cobb has had Rodgers. I'm happy with either but we have a talent problem more than a speed problem.

Archived