Vikings (History Channel)

cddolphin

vikings-season-3-tv-poster-01-3601%C3%97

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/

Vikings is a historical drama set in Norway as the first explorers began to raid westward (England, France).

It's a great blend of drama, violence, political intrigue. The characters are multi-faceted and dynamic. The producers do a great job of setting a pace for the show (which takes place over decades). Every plot line is interesting, from relationship drama to conflicts between nations. Characters don't have plot armor, there are real consequences, but main deaths don't come off as forced or done simply for dramatic effect. Plus you can tell your girlfriend the show has strong female leads! (Which it does).

I can't recommend it enough. The first season is the weakest but it's still very good.

The season 5 finale airs this Wednesday. Anybody else watching?

Edited by cddolphin

I watch. But havent liked the past couple episodes. To much of a standard Hollywood superhero flick feel. Where the stars wearing plot armor thick as found on Avengers.

Hopefully the armor is janked off for the finale. Am looking forward to who they pull the trigger on leaving. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I stopped watching during the first season. You think I should give it another chance?

If you hated it then no. If it was borderline.. give season 2 a watch. Season 1 drew the lowest reviews.

The narrative universe really starts to expand. Characters start to develop, grow.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Where the stars wearing plot armor thick as found on Avengers.

Hmmm I haven't really felt this way, I suppose this season has had less 'meaningful' deaths than others comparatively. Lagertha might be the exception (she's also looked 35 for like 30 years).

Some of it being (loosely) rooted in history will prevent certain deaths too. Not like they'll kill Ivar anytime soon.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

If you hated it then no. If it was borderline.. give season 2 a watch. Season 1 drew the lowest reviews.

The narrative universe really starts to expand. Characters start to develop, grow.

Hmmm I haven't really felt this way, I suppose this season has had less 'meaningful' deaths than others comparatively. Lagertha might be the exception (she's also looked 35 for like 30 years).

Some of it being (loosely) rooted in history will prevent certain deaths too. Not like they'll kill Ivar anytime soon.

Being loosely rooted should be worked around. I doubt Lagertha was actually in the center of a battle, slaying trained warriors by the dozen all by herself. When the lines break and its open combat. The stars have been bulletproof. Not a wound on them cept when the Bishop got knocked out. And he woke up and got laid by his enemy at the times leader.

The battles in France I thought were 100x better in that regard. They should have built some big names up last season as heros to have killed this season.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

metacritic ratings

season 1: 71
season 2: 77
season 3: 81

The budget also clearly gets a lot bigger.

I am trying to remember exactly why I stopped. It might simply have been that I prioritized other shows that year and it started to build a backlog of episodes and I wasn't interested enough to dive in. Ill give season 2 a go and report back

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Being loosely rooted should be worked around. I doubt Lagertha was actually in the center of a battle, slaying trained warriors by the dozen all by herself. When the lines break and its open combat. The stars have been bulletproof. Not a wound on them cept when the Bishop got knocked out. And he woke up and got laid by his enemy at the times leader.

The battles in France I thought were 100x better in that regard. They should have built some big names up last season as heros to have killed this season.

You have a point, but there's also an underlying element of mysticism which we know has played a role with characters like Lagertha, Ragnar, Bjorn. I'm not too troubled with them depicting a legendary viking as.. well, legendary.

"Ladgerda, a skilled Amazon, who, though a maiden, had the courage of a man, and fought in front among the bravest with her hair loose over her shoulders. All-marvelled at her matchless deeds, for her locks flying down her back betrayed that she was a woman."

Just in the last episode we saw a major protagonist (antagonist?) die in unexpected fashion. You can't have too much of it in a show, I think Vikings toes the line well but then again I've been a shill for the show since day one.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A year and a half later and I'm finally watching season 4. If someone could answer the major spoiler below I'd appreciate it.

I just got to where Ragnar is dropped into the snake pit and appears to die. Not really happy about it nor the way his death happened. Is the show even worth watching after this? I can't say I really care about the remaining characters.