When Defending Jump Balls or Passses on the Sideline

dtait93

Instead of jumping with the receiver and trying to dislodge the ball, why don't defenders just let the receiver jump, make the catch, and just use their momentum to carry them out of bounds before they get 2 feet down?

Couldn't the Jacksonville defender who was guarding Amendola on the go ahead touchdown just have grabbed his leg and not let it touch the ground instead of giving up when he knew he wasn't close enough to make a play on the ball? If you rewatch the play his leg was literally right in front of his face. All he had to do was grab it and drag him out of bounds.

I've always wondered about this since they made the two-feet rule. I think the simple answer is that players have been taught to play the ball/body for so long that it's difficult for them to adjust.

Look at the Diggs catch. For me, thats the best example of "push them out of bounds". Dont play the ball. Dont play the body. 

Play their legs. You just need 1 part of that leg to hit out of bounds before he lands in bounds and make a catch.

Say a fade route which is a defacto goal line play. The defenders are already body to body right? As soon as the guy jumps, don't even play the ball. Hug his legs (to prevent them from landing in bounds) and throw yourself along with them out of bounds.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

It's probably to difficult to put that contingency reaction in your toolbox when you are having to make split-second decisions on how to approach playing the ball.

Not if it's just always your plan.

Any nfl DB should be able to catch and hold any WR or TE at the waist and walk then out of bounds. Is this against the rules?

5 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Not if it's just always your plan.

Any nfl DB should be able to catch and hold any WR or TE at the waist and walk then out of bounds. Is this against the rules?

That is against the rules. It's a push out rule, not a carry out one. You cannot carry a player OOB like you suggested. It would be ruled a completion or interception.

We see split second reactions all the time in football, I think that's a bad excuse. These are some of the top athletes in the world. If your plan as a DB is to play the body instead of the ball on a fade route you don't have to make any split second decisions, you've already gone in with a plan to defend that route.

I think a lot of it is coaching. Teach your defenders to play the body if you can't get to the ball, make it a habit through repetition.

3 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

That is against the rules. It's a push out rule, not a carry out one. You cannot carry a player OOB like you suggested. It would be ruled a completion or interception.

In this case, nevermind. Got a link of the rule?

6 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

In this case, nevermind. Got a link of the rule?

It's in the operations book somewhere. Give me sec.

* Item 6. Carried Out of Bounds. If a player, who is in possession of the ball, is held up and carried out of bounds by an opponent before both feet or any part of his body other than his hands touches the ground inbounds, it is a completed or intercepted pass. It is not necessary for the player to maintain control of the ball when he lands out of bounds.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

1 hour ago, Carmen Cygni said:

So they can't carry them but they can push them. So every single toe tapping sideline catch we've ever seen could have been defended by your average FF poster just standing there and pushing the guy out of bounds when he jumps? Sounds like coaching needs to change imo.

5 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

So every single toe tapping sideline catch we've ever seen could have been defended by your average FF poster just standing there and pushing the guy out of bounds when he jumps? Sounds like coaching needs to change imo.

Obviously you're being hyperbolic, but those fantastic sideline catches often involve the WR exhibiting excellent body control by precisely controlling their lower body as their upper body is often in motion towards the sideline.. your average 185lbs CB extending his arms into the WR's chest would likely not have enough of an effect on his lower body.. plus if you were that close that you can substantially change his momentum, why not just make a play on the ball?

Seems like a good idea in theory that wouldn't hold up in practice. I would think in the decade plus since the sideline catch rules were re-worked DB coaches would've found this wrinkle if it proved itself effective.

Archived