Not Unexpected: Joe Thomas' Harsh & Positive Insights in SI for the FO/Owner & Argument Against Fire Hue-ism

Mind Character

Basically, to me this piece proved 2 things: 1. There are players who still like Hue, headlined by Joe (which isn't news to anyone) and 2. Joe places sole accountability for the 1-31 season on Sashi, which I think is human to begrudge a front-office who drastically tore the team down in the twilight of his career.

That being said, I don't understand why this should be some definitive stance on why Hue shouldn't have been fired. Are we just forgetting the really bad in-game decisions Hue made? Or how he treated two rookie QBs, two seasons in a row? Or the constant scapegoating, despite claiming he would hold himself accountable?

Frankly, I wish Joe had just written about his support of Hue moving forward. Hue is here to stay, and heck I might even still be convinced he can be a long-term answer at some point (especially with him ceding play calling duty to Haley), but the constant re-litigating of the past two seasons is just so exhausting and whether it's Joe Thomas, or Anthony Lima, or Jimmy Haslam trying to convince fans Hue is innocent of the worst two year record ever in the NFL, I don't care - let's just bury the dag thing and look toward a brighter future.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I interpreted your point " but he played a part in his record whether he, or Joe Thomas, want to admit it." as "Joe's point shows that he simply can't admit to himself the reality of things that he knows to be true but won't admit for various reasons one of which could be he's not smart enough...:

I meant more along the lines of Joe Thomas wanting to openly criticize his coach to the media.

21 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Basically, to me this piece proved 2 things: 1. There are players who still like Hue, headlined by Joe (which isn't news to anyone) and 2. Joe places sole accountability for the 1-31 season on Sashi, which I think is human to begrudge a front-office who drastically tore the team down in the twilight of his career.

That being said, I don't understand why this should be some definitive stance on why Hue shouldn't have been fired. Are we just forgetting the really bad in-game decisions Hue made? Or how he treated two rookie QBs, two seasons in a row? Or the constant scapegoating, despite claiming he would hold himself accountable?

Frankly, I wish Joe had just written about his support of Hue moving forward. Hue is here to stay, and heck I might even still be convinced he can be a long-term answer at some point (especially with him ceding play calling duty to Haley), but the constant re-litigating of the past two seasons is just so exhausting and whether it's Joe Thomas, or Anthony Lima, or Jimmy Haslam trying to convince fans Hue is innocent of the worst two year record ever in the NFL, I don't care - let's just bury the dag thing and look toward a brighter future.

Not quite....you're missing a few things.

Joe has repeatedly said that the plan that Sashi  et al wanted to implement is the "best, smartest, and evidenced-based" way to build a team to sustainable winning.

Joe in a press conference said the only drawback to the plan is that it guarantees misery for fans, players, coaches alike and the plan is likely to result in people within the building turning on each other.

He also said that the other drawback is that the players know the plan is guaranteed to result in losing and the players can easily believe that they're aren't fighting for wins.

He's praised Sashi and the Front Office for devising a winning plan, but simply criticize ownership and the FO for not understanding what it does to the people on the inside.

The only explicit criticism is that of Jimmy Haslam in that Joe says as Jimmy not sticking with the plan and blowing it up every few years..

And no one said it's the definitive stance as definitely the vast majority of fans disagree with Joe's stance.

What was said is that this is someone's perspective from the inside looking out and that his opinion is a thoughtful one.

So, in summary, Joe thinks:

1. The 3-4 year rebuild, money-ball plan we've been on is the smartest and best plan we could've chosen to get to sustainable winning, and Sashi and co were the best people for that job.

2, That Sashi did an amazing job if his goal was to stick to the plan, cut the cap, cut veterans, start the youngest team to see what we have on the roster, and trade down picks repeatedly to one day capitalize on the assets

3. Joe thinks Sashi did a terrible job if his goal was to win now, avoid fan misery, avoid coaching/internal conflict, and create a positive opinion about the franchise.

4. He thinks Jimmy Haslam blowing up the organization every 2 years did the franchise and his/our sanity a lethal blow for half a decade.

5. That he's optimistic that we've come to the part of the plan where it's time to use our accumulated resources and start to build with a GM/experienced master building supervising the build.

6. That Hue deserves a chance to play the game with a good hand.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I thought I remember Joe saying on multiple occasions that he loved Hue and likes his demeanor more than any coaches in the past.

He has also said of every single QB we have drafted that they have the tools and leadership qualities to be the franchise guy.

This is because JT embodies what almost every other guy should strive to be: A consummate professional that takes pride in what he does.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Not quite....you're missing a few things.

Joe has repeatedly said that the plan that Sashi  et al wanted to implement is the "best, smartest, and evidenced-based" way to build a team to sustainable winning.

Joe in a press conference said the only drawback to the plan is that it guarantees misery for fans, players, coaches alike and the plan is likely to result in people within the building turning on each other.

He also said that the other drawback is that the players know the plan is guaranteed to result in losing and the players can easily believe that they're aren't fighting for wins.

He's praised Sashi and the Front Office for devising a winning plan, but simply criticize ownership and the FO for not understanding what it does to the people on the inside.

The only explicit criticism is that of Jimmy Haslam in that Joe says as Jimmy not sticking with the plan and blowing it up every few years..

And no one said it's the definitive stance as definitely the vast majority of fans disagree with Joe's stance.

What was said is that this is someone's perspective from the inside looking out and that his opinion is a thoughtful one.

While I appreciate you taking the time to spell things out in impressive length and explaining what you believe I may or may not have missed, unfortunately it was done needlessly as I am aware of Joe's pragmatic understanding of the plan vs. the reality and yet I still provided the post I did.

I think all you really needed to put was that last sentence, to which I'll respond: I agree, i think Joe is a really thoughtful person and I don't take any exception to him expressing his opinion. That being said, it doesn't change a lot of the realities I witnessed with Hue over the past two seasons and I don't think there has been anything groundbreaking Joe's divulged from being on the inside that has swayed my belief that Hue deserved to be just as accountable for the failures of the last two seasons as Sashi (whom I also believe deserved to lose his job). 

3 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

While I appreciate you taking the time to spell things out in impressive length and explaining what you believe I may or may not have missed, unfortunately it was done needlessly as I am aware of Joe's pragmatic understanding of the plan vs. the reality and yet I still provided the post I did.

I think all you really needed to put was that last sentence, to which I'll respond: I agree, i think Joe is a really thoughtful person and I don't take any exception to him expressing his opinion. That being said, it doesn't change a lot of the realities I witnessed with Hue over the past two seasons and I don't think there has been anything groundbreaking Joe's divulged from being on the inside that has swayed my belief that Hue deserved to be just as accountable for the failures of the last two seasons as Sashi (whom I also believe deserved to lose his job). 

Fair enough.

Joe's not going to sway anyone regarding Hue as people's opinions/evaluations on Hue are already crystallized and polarized (albeit vastly unipolarly negative).

His piece just exemplifies a singular opinion from someone from the inside looking outside.

Archived