You'll Hate This Mock

armsteeld

13 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

No, I think the jury's still out on these guys.  Though Hawkins only played 48 snaps. (as opposed to Hubbard who played 780 snaps)  Doesn't speak to the Steelers valuing him too much so far. 

I dont think you can use snap count as a method of applying the teams value to a player. He isnt at a position that shares snaps. Hubbard is a pretty good player as we have seen over the last two years. He is the third tackle. They cannot split the duty. As Hubbard moves on this year in FA and the third tackle position opens, we will be able to fairly judge the value of Hawkins. But in that short time during Gilberts suspension when he did play that role (mainly in snaps as the extra body tightend) he did play well. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont think you can use snap count as a method of applying the teams value to a player.

Well, you sort of can.  If the coaches play a player that means they have confidence in him.  - But I agree that Hubbard as the swing tackle was in a position to get many more snaps.  Hawkins looked better this year.  Hopefully he'll take another step forward next year.   Can he beat out Feiler for Hubbard's role?  We'll see. 

13 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Well, you sort of can.  If the coaches play a player that means they have confidence in him.  - But I agree that Hubbard as the swing tackle was in a position to get many more snaps.  Hawkins looked better this year.  Hopefully he'll take another step forward next year.   Can he beat out Feiler for Hubbard's role?  We'll see. 

Hawkins already beat out Feiler by the end of the year. I have a feeling we let Hubbard go, let Gilbert go after next year, and Hawkins is a starting OT by the year after. He may be getting groomed to take over for AV.

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

injuries have been a reason why hawkins hasn't had snaps, but Hubbard also played well enough to have them not care about hawkins . This will be make or break year for hawkins 

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

I dont disagree that you can use Snap Count as a gauge, but not at certain positions. This being one of them where it doesnt work. You can have a number of linebackers or DBs take snaps during a game for different situations, but on the line, unless their is injury you wont have multiple guys filling a role or rotating in any manner. QB and Oline are really the two positions that do not have spell or sub players used unless there is an injury. Hubbard was the next man up, and for good reason. But Hubbards success shouldn't be a knock to Hawkins. 

We gave up a 4, and got McDonald and a 5 back from what I recall.  Just FYI.  If I'm correct. 

As for the draft, I like it quite a bit, based on your descriptions.  But I don't like Marcus Allen at all.  I want a coverage safety, not a hitter.  I'm not impressed one bit by that dude.  That's from what I saw myself, not a description, but your description is not what I want out of a S either.  I want coverage.  Period.  

I want a big time pass rusher.  I want big, fast DBs like your 3rd and 4th picks.  A fast TE that makes contested catches?  Sure.  That all sounds good in a vacuum.   Why would the ILB that is fast, explosive, etc, etc, last till 7?  2 down thumper only?  

23 hours ago, 3rivers said:

injuries have been a reason why hawkins hasn't had snaps, but Hubbard also played well enough to have them not care about hawkins . This will be make or break year for hawkins 

I hope next year is a breakout year for Hawk but can't say I'm overly optimistic as many people once were.  

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Remember that Hubbard was no better than a traffic barrel for 2 years.

is that munchak making him better or just getting a chance? I never thought Hubbard was as such and he never joined the ranks of other OL we had that were BAD

2 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I hope next year is a breakout year for Hawk but can't say I'm overly optimistic as many people once were.  

hoping he never gets to play, but chances are he will get some snaps since I can't remember the last time we had both OT's play the entire season.  If he can be healthy and play, then we will see if he can be Hubbard for a few years. It helps the team to have a back up OT that can play both LT and RT at near starter level. 

On 1/26/2018 at 11:33 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Hootie Jones has some character red flags and injury concerns. Is he worth drafting?

The only thing I know is he was arrested for smoking weed along with Cam Robinson. Jones had a licensed gun but I know of nothing else.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:48 AM, Big Snack said:

I don't hate it at all but I would like to address a run stuffing NT in the draft this year. I am a fan of Haynes but not  sure he fits what we ask of our OLB at this point. As much as I would  love to have the good ol days of a sack artist on the outside, the scheme has shifted a bit and our olb are asked to be equally as good in coverage as they are at getting pressure. I would prefer that we had a special pass rusher on the team but I don't think we go that direction.

Haynes can and has dropped into coverage. Schemes have changed but we still need an outside pass rusher that can truly get after the QB. As dominant as Heyward was at times this past season, our OLBs should have been feasting instead of starving ? 

Archived