Climbing

Heimdallr

Is anyone else really into climbing or bouldering? 

I've really gotten into it, and (at least in my area) it is a great community. 

The required combination of intelligence/planning, agility, endurance and raw strength is like nothing else I've seen. Elite climbing is some of the most impressive displays of physical human accomplishment I have ever seen. Even at my local gym, some of the things I have seen from the more experienced climbers are just incomprehensible to me. My brother and I would spend half an hour planning and attempting a route, and then someone comes along and does the whole thing while only touching three holds.. 

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In high school, I worked at a rock climbing indoor facility. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately around here there aren't too many climbing spots, especially outside. Ohio has some nice places to hike though.

Yeah there really aren't any in my area either.  I have to travel to Ann Arbor if i want to climb.

My brother and i used to climb more when we were in college.  Then we just sort of stopped after he graduated.  It's a lot of fun.  I was no where near as good as some of the people that did it all the time though.

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Is anyone else really into climbing or bouldering? 

I always liked the bouldering more.  The climbing routes always seemed "easier" in the technical difficulty.  They just required more endurance.  I liked bouldering because you could spend a few hours attempting a 7 hold route.  There was something about that technical challenge that appealed to me.

Plus i don't really like heights, so those 50' walls got a little intimidating.  And, we could always boulder cheaper.  No harness rental.

I went bouldering a few days ago.  They opened a nice new gym about a month ago an hour from where I live.  It's pretty fun.  They don't have auto-belay so I need to take a belay test before I can try the top rope stuff.

Archived