Alex Smith

soflbillsfan

I didn't see a forum topic on this but I did not go back that far to see if someone mentioned this.

Last week an espn writer Matthew Coller said a source at the senior bowl was KC was telling other teams they are looking to move Alex Smith for a 2nd round and future pick. Then on the Dan Patrick show Alex Smith was asked on what he would like to do. he said he would like to stay in KC but he understands it is a business. He then was asked if he would be happy to be traded to the browns and he joked by saying they can only go up from here with the new GM who brought him to KC. He then said he would be willing to go to another team if its a playoff contender. With that being said the only teams that were playoff contenders or on the fringe that need QBs are Bills, Jaguars, Titans, and Cardinals. With the Titans and Jaguars still have young qbs that have shown promise I do not see them pursuing Alex smith. Cardinals just received new coaching staff so I am not sure if they would be willing to invest in Alex Smith but it is an option. Bills need a QB and are in a position to make the playoffs again with the right moves. Trading pick 21 and 22 on the draft chart gets the bills to pick 7. If they wanted to get higher up they would likely need to throw in more picks. With the Browns, Giants (possibly looking at future qb), Broncos, and jets all needing qbs that puts the bills out of the top 4 qbs (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield). Bills also have holes at RG, DT #1 and #2, 2 LBs, deep threat Wr and #2 rb. Bills will also need a back up G/C with Wood retiring and Groy moving up. With 32 million in cap space the bills will likely be out of the running from kirk cousins since teams like Jets and browns have 100 million in cap space. This is the best option to give up a day 2 pick and a future pick likely a 4th or 5th rd in 2019. Bills will then be able to sign him long term for 4-5 years at 34 years old most qbs are going that long 38-40 year old range. Bills then can fill all their needs in the draft and smart resigning the bills can continue the motto of winning now and building for the future. The bills then can go in to 2019 or 2020 draft and find their QB of the future and trade up getting that guy while Alex continues to be bills qb and push for a yearly contender as well as mentor the future qb. This move will also help with Beane and McDermott. Giving up to many picks or to much money to a qb that could become a flop can cost them their jobs. With the signing of Alex Smith it will be a good amount of money but flexible to move on from him if it doesnt work out in his 1st 2 seasons, if the bills trade up multiple 1st rd picks and the qb ends up being a bust then that will be a massive setback for the organization. Kirk Cousins is going to seek money like Carr and Stafford so 50 mil would be guaranteed and 130 mil invested in him that would be a huge blow to the salary cap space the bills have and beane doesnt look like the big ticket spender nor swinging for the fence type guy. Again Alex smith is an upgrade and a better fit for the bills then Tyrod is and can benefit from guys like Clay, Shady and Kbenji. Bring in a speedster wr that has current chemistry with Alex would be Albert Wilson he is quick and could be opposite of Kbenji with Zay in the slot and he can air it out to him when need be.

I wouldn't mind getting an Alex Smith but I too would not trade a 2nd round pick for him maybe a 4th this year and next year.  There are a lot of stop gap QB's that we can pick from while drafting our future QB this year or next.  Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater are QB's that come to mind if we want to have a starter for a year or two.

Nick foles is still on the Eagles roster, and is fairly cheap do not see him leaving Philly especially when Wentz is coming off a major injury who may not be ready week 1, so trading him will cost probably the same if not more because of his contract being so low. I would wait and see what Minnesota does but I have a feeling 2 of those 3 qbs stay. I am not a big Sam Bradford fan and I would assume he would be the one walking. He was overrated and sucked in Philly and with the rams plus multiple injuries almost every year of his career. Do you really want to spend 20 mil on a guy who may not make it through the season? I think giving up a 2nd rd pick for Alex Smith isnt to bad considering it frees up the opportunity to land 4 starters in the draft not including him, with the other 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. If Alex Smith takes the bills to the playoffs next year are you guys really going to care that it cost the bills a 2nd? Ideally I would like them to give up a 3rd this year and then a pick next year basing his production and the team performance of making the playoffs or not but who knows what the actually selling price ends up being. One thing I do know is KC is going to move on from him with a 20 mil cap hit and their current cap is 9 mil over, they will need to clear another 5-6 mil for draft picks. Dont see them being able to clear that much cap unless they let go of 4 or more other players who start or they extend Alex and have his cap reduces drastically but then again he may not want to sit on the bench to play second fiddle. 

Well a 3rd rd pick and player got the deal done, trade standards was a good deal. I projected on another thread that he would get a 4 year 90 mil deal but never would have expected 70 mil to be guaranteed. Its a shame too cause that was the most realistic qb the bills had a shot at getting to actually be a decent team next year.

Tyrod is so bad and the way things are looking they will get stuck with him again which the bills can not withstand that mediocrity. Wasting talent in Shady and the defensive performance by letting this guy play qb one more year is going to be hard to watch.

Hopefully they go guns blazing and land Kirk Cousins but I highly doubt they will make the push for him especially with desperate teams like browns and jets who have ridiculous amount of cap money this year. However Bills only chance is to manipulate the contract where they can make the cap hit next year with the 80+ mil in cap space they have before making any changes to the roster including roll over from this coming year. 

Foles isn't going to be traded nor want him because of his lack of quality play on other teams outside the past 2 games and the one year he had a few years ago in Philly. He has been a respectable back up for eagles, cheap, and the unknown of Wentz injury lingering or not, wouldn't be worth moving him unless a team gave up a 1st or high 2nd rd pick which I am completely against the bills doing.

Keenum has stunk his entire career and had one decent one this year around the right parts, plus I think he is one of 2 kept in Minnesota.

Sam Bradford is a big Heck No, he is injury prone and counts on the check down dump pass to rb way to much. Cant pay a guy who cannot stay health for an entire year.

Teddy Bridgewater may or may not be better then tyrod and the unknown of his ability to play after his injury he had at the beginning of 2016 season would worry me. Plus I think he is the 2nd qb to stay in Minnesota.

That leaves the bottom tier QBs Mccown, Tyrod, Moore, etc. None will be an answer long term and probably not short term.

Draft involves moving up which means a ton of picks to give up and hope he is the guy who can start week 1. Not to mention giving those picks up would resort to having to not fill all the other needs at different positions. 

Only other suggestions out there is trade for Aj Macarron for mid rd pick, or see what indy's interest is on moving on from Andrew Luck and hope his shoulder restores back to the way he played like Drew Brees. Aj may not be the answer but the risk is low considering and give the bills an opportunity to see if he can be their guy in the future or not as he has some nfl experience and has been learning for a few years rather then a fresh rookie.

12 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well a 3rd rd pick and player got the deal done, trade standards was a good deal. I projected on another thread that he would get a 4 year 90 mil deal but never would have expected 70 mil to be guaranteed. Its a shame too cause that was the most realistic qb the bills had a shot at getting to actually be a decent team next year.

Tyrod is so bad and the way things are looking they will get stuck with him again which the bills can not withstand that mediocrity. Wasting talent in Shady and the defensive performance by letting this guy play qb one more year is going to be hard to watch.

Hopefully they go guns blazing and land Kirk Cousins but I highly doubt they will make the push for him especially with desperate teams like browns and jets who have ridiculous amount of cap money this year. However Bills only chance is to manipulate the contract where they can make the cap hit next year with the 80+ mil in cap space they have before making any changes to the roster including roll over from this coming year. 

Foles isn't going to be traded nor want him because of his lack of quality play on other teams outside the past 2 games and the one year he had a few years ago in Philly. He has been a respectable back up for eagles, cheap, and the unknown of Wentz injury lingering or not, wouldn't be worth moving him unless a team gave up a 1st or high 2nd rd pick which I am completely against the bills doing.

Keenum has stunk his entire career and had one decent one this year around the right parts, plus I think he is one of 2 kept in Minnesota.

Sam Bradford is a big Heck No, he is injury prone and counts on the check down dump pass to rb way to much. Cant pay a guy who cannot stay health for an entire year.

Teddy Bridgewater may or may not be better then tyrod and the unknown of his ability to play after his injury he had at the beginning of 2016 season would worry me. Plus I think he is the 2nd qb to stay in Minnesota.

That leaves the bottom tier QBs Mccown, Tyrod, Moore, etc. None will be an answer long term and probably not short term.

Draft involves moving up which means a ton of picks to give up and hope he is the guy who can start week 1. Not to mention giving those picks up would resort to having to not fill all the other needs at different positions. 

Only other suggestions out there is trade for Aj Macarron for mid rd pick, or see what indy's interest is on moving on from Andrew Luck and hope his shoulder restores back to the way he played like Drew Brees. Aj may not be the answer but the risk is low considering and give the bills an opportunity to see if he can be their guy in the future or not as he has some nfl experience and has been learning for a few years rather then a fresh rookie.

I think we've gotta go in on drafting a guy. Maybe not trading up super high to do it but definitely find a guy and commit to it. I'd like to sign McCown as a backup and stop gap guy, I was impressed by him this year. I just can't see McDermott bringing back Tyrod, maybe that's just me wishing but I just don't see it. At least Cousins going to a team not us would eliminate one more team needing to draft a QB.

Archived