Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's a bit presumptuous to assume that his $17M cap hit is going to jump up drastically.  We haven't heard what his signing bonus is, which is likely where that jump in cap hit comes from.

I'm assuming it's going to stay as is, the redskins cannot afford to keep Cousins and Alex Smith if they want to be active in FA/ re-sign their players and no team is going to give up compensation for him without a long term deal in place. The redskins would be better off just letting him walk instead of screwing their cap situation just to try and get something from Cousins when most teams know they can't afford to keep him with Smith there, they'd have piss poor leverage and Cousins can just wait it out and say no to any trade. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you truly believe they won't get at least a 3rd round pick this year?  I mean, Alex Smith netted a 3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller.

So a 2018 3rd with a risk of not being able to be active in FA vs a 2019 3rd with no risk at all

• Like 3

Just now, OleXmad said:

I'm assuming it's going to stay as is, the redskins cannot afford to keep Cousins and Alex Smith if they want to be active in FA/ re-sign their players and no team is going to give up compensation for him without a long term deal in place. The redskins would be better off just letting him walk instead of screwing their cap situation just to try and get something from Cousins when most teams know they can't afford to keep him with Smith there, they'd have piss poor leverage and Cousins can just wait it out and say no to any trade. 

That wasn't the argument being made.  The argument was that the Redskins couldn't financially franchise tag Cousins AND have Alex Smith under contract without major transactions happen.  That's a false statement.  They can make that move, they just can't make any of the following moves.  And you have to remember, Kirk Cousins is the guy whose driving the QB market.  He's the first domino to fall.  Keenum won't sign until after Cousins signs, teams won't maneuver in the draft, etc. until after Kirk Cousins decides where he's going.  The period the Redskins can franchise tag Kirk Cousins is February 20th until March 6th (at 4 PM EST).  That's almost two full weeks to negotiate an amicable trade for Cousins.  FA doesn't officially open until March 14th.  That's almost 3 full weeks the Redskins can effectively negotiate a Kirk Cousins trade.  If you don't believe the Redskins can negotiate a Cousins trade in 3 weeks, you have less faith in the Redskins office than I do.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So a 2018 3rd with a risk of not being able to be active in FA vs a 2019 3rd with no risk at all

The risk isn't there.  I made my point in the response to @OleXmad that the Redskins have 3 FULL weeks to negotiate a trade for Kirk Cousins before FA opens from the time that the franchise tag period opens to when FA officially opens.  That's a lifetime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Now you're comparing leverage vs no leverage. Also Cousins has to sign the tender, which he has no reason to do.

Once WAS assigns the tag, Cousins can really hold them over a barrel.  He has no need to agree to anything quickly.  He can agree to a deal with another team whenever he chooses.  Why risk that if you are WAS.   You traded for Smith, it is time to move on from Cousins and just take the comp pick that they would get in 2019

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Now you're comparing leverage vs no leverage. Also Cousins has to sign the tender, which he has no reason to do.

Except the Redskins are creating their own leverage by essentially treating Cousins as a FA.  You tag him and let Cousins work out a contract with a team (let's say the Broncos).  Once a deal has been worked out between he and the Broncos, the Redskins negotiate with the Broncos on a trade.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Once WAS assigns the tag, Cousins can really hold them over a barrel.  He has no need to agree to anything quickly.  He can agree to a deal with another team whenever he chooses.  Why risk that if you are WAS.   You traded for Smith, it is time to move on from Cousins and just take the comp pick that they would get in 2019

Because getting something for him is better than getting nothing for him.  You're making the assumption that the Broncos (or whichever team wants him) wouldn't happily give up a 3rd round pick this year for him.  IF they're negotiating this mega deal for him, they want him this year.  Giving up a 3rd round pick is a small price to do so.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The risk isn't there.  I made my point in the response to @OleXmad that the Redskins have 3 FULL weeks to negotiate a trade for Kirk Cousins before FA opens from the time that the franchise tag period opens to when FA officially opens.  That's a lifetime.

Yes....they can negotiate all they want, but Cousins is going to have to agree to a LTD with the new team before any teams agrees to give up compensation.  Cousins holds the leverage to make that decision on his schedule, whenever he would choose to do so.

Except the Redskins are creating their own leverage by essentially treating Cousins as a FA.  You tag him and let Cousins work out a contract with a team (let's say the Broncos).  Once a deal has been worked out between he and the Broncos, the Redskins negotiate with the Broncos on a trade.

I'm not signing the deal if I'm Cousins, why the hell should I? Either rescind the tag or skip FA and hold me hostage until I decide to sign my tag. Hell Cousins could wait until after the 2018 draft.

You made your decision with Smith, now let Cousins make his own decision.

Just now, squire12 said:

Yes....they can negotiate all they want, but Cousins is going to have to agree to a LTD with the new team before any teams agrees to give up compensation.  Cousins holds the leverage to make that decision on his schedule, whenever he would choose to do so.

What possible motivation does Kirk Cousins have to hold the Redskins over the barrel?  He's not going to try and stick it to the Redskins and just say F it and force the Redskins to pay him and Alex Smith.  He wants out of D.C. as badly as the Redskins do.  Cousins has the leverage, I'm not disagreeing with that.  I'm saying that there's significant motivation to tag and deal him for something rather than waiting for a compensatory pick in 2019.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not signing the deal if I'm Cousins, why the hell should I? Either rescind the tag or skip FA and hold me hostage until I decide to sign my tag. Hell Cousins could wait until after the 2018 draft.

You made your decision with Smith, now let Cousins make his own decision.

Cousins isn't going to pass up on a long-term deal simply to stick it to the Redskins.  That simply isn't going to happen.  All the Redskins are doing is essentially expediting their compensatory pick.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Because getting something for him is better than getting nothing for him.  You're making the assumption that the Broncos (or whichever team wants him) wouldn't happily give up a 3rd round pick this year for him.  IF they're negotiating this mega deal for him, they want him this year.  Giving up a 3rd round pick is a small price to do so.

You are making it sound like Cousins wants to do WAS a favor and get things done quickly.  In his mind, WAS has done him wrong by not offering a contract that he feels he deserved and limited him from being a UFA.  Tagging him gives him the ability to hold WAS over the barrel for as long as he would choose to.  

Just now, CWood21 said:

Cousins isn't going to pass up on a long-term deal simply to stick it to the Redskins.  That simply isn't going to happen.  All the Redskins are doing is essentially expediting their compensatory pick.  Nothing more, nothing less.

They're taking away his right to a free market and a potential bidding war. LIS, he has no motivation to sign the tag. Most likely scenario is WAS rescinds it by the opening of FA if he hasn't signed it, but do they even got a comp pick then?

Easy choice is to just let him go, no risk, and you do the right thing for the first time in the multi year Cousins saga.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He doesn't have to pass up a long term deal.  But he also does not need to do anything quickly.  Maybe he wants to see how other teams look before making his decision.  WAS would be limited from doing anything in FA and Cousins knows that, other teams know that.  

WAS gains a pick a year earlier, but risks losing out on the ability to make moves and leaves Cousins as being the key to what they can do in 2018 FA