BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

3 hours ago, footy_29 said:

Unprecedented stupid.

This whole Smith/Fuller/Cousins thing has nothing on that trade.

Or that fact that we took Carlos Rogers over Aaron Rodgers, Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman at #10.

Horrible draft, as well as 06, 07 & 08. The only thing that saved the 09 draft a little bit was Orakpo. The rest of it was horrible.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll give you this, I think we could be marginally better next year just because I thought we were a better team this year but the injuries derailed us.  However, I don't think Alex Smith will ever take us anywhere in the playoffs, so a Super Bowl win is far out of our reach IMO.  We are a Wild Card team at best next year, probably 6-10 or 7-9 at worst.  So we aren't good enough to win it all and we aren't bad enough to get a high draft pick.  We're pretty much exactly what you don't want to be.  

Alex Smith has won playoffs games before. Maybe we never get to a super bowl with him, or maybe we do. I’d say it’s more likely that it doesn’t happen because our front office won’t build a championship level team around him rather than Smith will be the reason we don’t get to or win a super bowl.

Winning games is a Team stat, not an individual stat.

I can tell you this, Alex Smith won’t lose us a playoff game. He may not throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in a playoff game, but he’s not going to throw the pick in the redzone on a possible game winning/game tying drive that costs us the game and he’s not going to throw a pick 6 on our side of the field either.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll give you this, I think we could be marginally better next year just because I thought we were a better team this year but the injuries derailed us.  However, I don't think Alex Smith will ever take us anywhere in the playoffs, so a Super Bowl win is far out of our reach IMO.  We are a Wild Card team at best next year, probably 6-10 or 7-9 at worst.  So we aren't good enough to win it all and we aren't bad enough to get a high draft pick.  We're pretty much exactly what you don't want to be.  

And with Kirk what would the record be ?

M

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith has won playoffs games before. Maybe we never get to a super bowl with him, or maybe we do. I’d say it’s more likely that it doesn’t happen because our front office won’t build a championship level team around him rather than Smith will be the reason we don’t get to or win a super bowl.

I can tell you this, Alex Smith won’t lose us a playoff game. He may not throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in a playoff game, but he’s not going to throw the pick in the redzone on a possible game winning/game tying drive that costs us the game and he’s not going to throw a pick 6 on our side of the field either.

Alex smith sucks because that's what people say . 

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Know what is sad?

This year will mark the year where Bruce has been in charge just as long as Vinny.

And...

The Redskins need to go 10-6 this year for Bruce to surpass Vinny's win %

Think on that... and be dismayed.

I almost called into the radio show to dispute this claim because it’s not a truly fair comparison.

1. Vinny inherented a 10-6 team in 99 that Casserly and Norv built which won a playoff game that year and was a botched FG snap away from going to the NFC championship game. Then, Dan and Vinny managed to ruin that team a year later by signing too many high priced free agents which messed with our chemistry.

2. Joe Gibbs agreed to return. Without him returning, I can say for certain that I don’t think Vinny would have ever had a winning season in his decade as our GM.

3. Vinny handed Shanahan and Allen a mess in 2010 which took us 3 years to dig out of to even make the team competitive by 2012.

4. Shanahan had final say over football decisions - including draft, free agency and the final say over the roster - from 2010 through 2013. From 2010-13 Allen was only GM in title only, Shanahan had final say in all football decisions. Shanahan made finals decisions on free agents we signed, on who we drafted and his contract at least said he had final say on trades. He was consulted on trades too, but of course Dan Snyder owned the team so he could chose to do what he wanted even if Shanahan disagreed with him.

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I think what he is saying is, that if they had waited to do the draft day trade instead of the trade ahead of the draft, considering Rodgers was expected to be a top 10 pick, that we could have traded up for Rodgers instead of grabbing Campbell after he started to fall. 

IIRC we were always going after Campbell after we fell in love with him. And Rodgers got picked before us anyway. 

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I almost called into the radio show to dispute this claim because it’s not a truly fair comparison.

1. Vinny inherented a 10-6 team in 99 that Casserly and Norv built which won a playoff game that year and was a botched FG snap away from going to the NFC championship game. Then, Dan and Vinny managed to ruin that team a year later by signing too many high priced free agents which messed with our chemistry.

2. Joe Gibbs agreed to return. Without him returning, I can say for certain that I don’t think Vinny would have ever had a winning season in his decade as our GM.

3. Vinny handed Shanahan and Allen a mess in 2010 which took us 3 years to dig out of to even make the team competitive by 2012.

4. Shanahan had final say over football decisions - including draft, free agency and the final say over the roster - from 2010 through 2013. From 2010-13 Allen was only GM in title only, Shanahan had final say in all football decisions. Shanahan made finals decisions on free agents we signed, on who we drafted and his contract at least said he had final say on trades. He was consulted on trades too, but of course Dan Snyder owned the team so he could chose to do what he wanted even if Shanahan disagreed with him.

Again, I understand your point about the overall direction of the line graph (going down left to right), but the fact remains that the name was at the top. Its his hotel bill regardless of the braintrust that they include in making decisions for a few years. Trying to parse it out is like saying "well we can't evaluate Jay Gruden's Win/Loss record as a coach because he hasn't had EXACTLY the same players on the team every year".

But the point is well taken that Casserly had put together a good team that Snyder and Cerrato then ruined. Still, franchises are turned around quite a lot by new F.O. So Bruce has had every opportunity to do so.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He's lost playoff games too. And this year, they lost to the Titans because they couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half after having a big lead at halftime. A lot of that falls on the QB.

8 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

How is a 21-3 lead a qb fault?. 

He did fantastic in the 1st half. 19 of 23.

And then in the 2nd half? He had 11 yards passing until 6 minutes left in the game. And then that last drive they made it to the 44 and didn't get the 4th down conversion. Not solely his fault as its a team game. I'm simply pointing out that he was a big reason why they couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half and keep their defense off the field.

He finished the game with 264 yards, two touchdowns, and no interceptions. That’s a pretty great stat line...

But not when you realize that he already had 231 yards and two touchdowns at halftime.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

He did fantastic in the 1st half. 19 of 23.

And then in the 2nd half? He had 11 yards passing until 6 minutes left in the game. And then that last drive they made it to the 44 and didn't get the 4th down conversion. Not solely his fault as its a team game. I'm simply pointing out that he was a big reason why they couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half and keep their defense off the field.

Yes but your also forgetting that the cheifs also missed a FG. And your also forgetting kelce got injured . Hunt was a non factor and the D like all year was awful.

Smith did his job , had the chiefs D actually play good and stop Henry than they would of won. You had silly stuff like Mariota catching his own touchdowns? lol like that's crazy.

Just now, Dashing202 said:

Yes but your also forgetting that the cheifs also missed a FG. And your also forgetting kelce got injured . Hunt was a non factor and the D like all year was awful.

Smith did his job , had the chiefs D actually play good and stop Henry than they would of won. You had silly stuff like Mariota catching his own touchdowns? lol like that's crazy.

Not forgetting that at all. He did his job in the 1st half. He did not do his job in the 2nd. There are 2 halves in a game.

Archived