BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

So here's one interest thing . Watching a video right now and Feinstein said this .

" When alex smith was on the block . Doug Williams pushed hard for smith and told Allen and Snyder that this is our guy ".

I know you guys say Allen and Danny make decisions . But if Doug Williams whos played QB is vouching for Smith than count me in.

And guess whose name just got penciled in for Allen's next scapegoat?

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

He was expecting the only scenario in which he dictated. He stated I won't sign a long-term deal before March. So the only option at that point, unless they seriously thought they had a chance to win a bidding war, was to tag him for a third time. HE is the one that controlled that situation.

The Redskins have made multiple offers to him that have been laughably bad. Why would he expect for them to offer him market compensation? Better yet, no one knows what the market will bear for him ... unless he actually hits the market.

Oh, and technically, he couldn't negotiate with the Redskins anyway until the new league year began because he would still have been under the franchise rules from 2017.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is absolutely the point. Why lie to a fanbase and to a team and say that you want to be somewhere when you don't. He absolutely wanted to be gone, the only reason he stayed here is for the tag. 

I as a fan am insulted because I believed he wanted to be here. I am one of the naive ones that fought to have his back, because I felt he had ours. He is a great politician, because he portrays an honest person who can word things correctly to make you believe in them. The fact is Kirk never wanted to be here. If he had his way, he would have been traded his second season in the NFL. Link

He very easily could have been fine staying here had the Redskins offered a reasonable contract and not tried to repeatedly low ball him, or insult him (by not knowing how to pronounce his name), or [rumor from Grant Paulsen] claim to offer him an "updated deal" ... which turned out to be a word-for-word copy of the previous deal he declined.

He stayed here because he had no choice due to the tag. I'm sure he'd rather have gotten the security of a long term deal, but that's not what he got. So, he played by the rules and now finds himself in a position where he can finally go where he wants to and where he feels he is wanted. It's a pride thing more than a money thing, in my opinion.

As for the trade, that was in 2014, when he was stuck behind RG3. Of course he wanted to be traded then because he wasn't the starter. He wanted to show what he could do. Then he got his chance, did incredibly well ... and got shafted by the front office. Repeatedly.

52 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The bolded is exactly why you tag Kirk Cousins and you trade his rights. This is a business and he is a commodity

And the Redskins will get nothing close to value for him because of the situation they made and find themselves in.

53 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The underlined is wrong because of the definition of negotiation:

Negotiation means: discussion aimed at reaching an agreement.

This scenario there was no negotiating, you either tag him or watch him leave. The whole "he wanted to be where he was wanted" is BS. Two straight franchise tags valued at 50+ million isnt enough to show you are wanted? Come on. He didn't want to be here and he played the part of a professional while he was here. His end-game never changed. 

He negotiated with this front office for two years, never got to a contract value he felt was reasonable, thus there was never an agreement. Each year, the Redskins front office offered him a contract that would have been acceptable had they offered it the previous season. If they had offered him in 2015 the $19-20M contract they offered in 2016, he'd would be here as our starting QB. They didn't and he didn't accept it then because the contract he had with the tender was now $24M.

So, he professionally played the game by the rules and now he's going to get paid.

Getting angry at him makes no sense. Blame the front office for either not realizing that their low ball offers were insulting or not realizing that he was perfectly comfortable playing year to year at increasing scales instead of trading him last year.

6 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Atleast there listening instead of being arrogant . SM said out his mouth Cousins wasn't anything special .

No, they're papering over a mistake of their own making and allowing Doug Williams to be the "reason" for it.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

No, they're papering over a mistake of their own making and allowing Doug Williams to be the "reason" for it.

I mean smith a good qb .

We have had 2 KC fans say that and 1 49ers fan say it .

i liked your post anyway cause I like your posts :$:)

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

HOW??!! 

So he is guaranteed his money up front from this year which is 17M. 

He will make ~ 23.5M next season which is = 40M. 

The next ~30M is likely to be based on performance and potential incentives that would essentially guarantee him 30M for 1 more year. Many have speculated that he would only get a salary of 30M guaranteed if he were to be injured or something like that. But there is the potential for him to be cut after 2019. 

This is what I have heard. Wont know the contract details until March 4. 

4 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Atleast there listening instead of being arrogant . SM said out his mouth Cousins wasn't anything special .

You know who also isn't special?

Peyton Manning in 2016, Russel Wilson, Joe Flaco,  Colin Kapernick,  and Nick Foles.

But they're all good.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:29 PM, Woz said:

In a 12 year career, 2017 represented Smith's

• 2nd best year in completion percentage (67.5%, best was 2012 (70.2%))
  • 2nd best year in TD percentage (5.1%, best was 2012 (6.0%))
  • Best year in INT percentage (1.0%)
  • Tied for best year in yards per attempt (8.0, tied with 2012)
  • Best year for passer rating (104.7)
  • Best year for net yards per game [ (passing yards - sack yards) / (passing attempts + times sacked) ] (7.10)

So, what is more likely? That he replicates 2017, which was his best or second best year in his career, or that he reverts back to his career averages:

• Career completion percentage: 62.4% (time in KC = 65.1%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 64.5%)
  • Career TD percentage: 4.0% (time in KC = 4.2%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 3.9%)
  • Career INT percentage: 2.1% (time in KC = 1.4%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 1.5%)
  • Career yards per attempt: 6.9 (time in KC = 7.2, time in KC w/o 2017 = 7.0)
  • Career passer rating: 87.4 (time in KC = 94.8, time in KC w/o 2017 = 92.2)
  • Career net yards per game: 5.94 (time in KC = 6.31, time in KC w/o 2017 = 6.11)

Now, now woz. You get on me for doing stuff like this in my projections for how a player could improve from his last season to his next, but it’s OK for you to take an average of what Smith did in his career and say that’s what he’s going to be with us?

Sorry, not buying it!

Just like you didn’t want to listen when I talked about how Grant could have 40 to 50 catches and 3 or 4 TDs for us in 2017 because of more playing time, I don’t really care what Smith’s stats looked like when he was a 21 year old rookie, or less than 25 while he was developing on bad teams in San Fran, what his stats were in Harbaugh’s run first/ball control offense when his best reciving option  for 5 or 6 years was VD - a TE - or what his stats were when he threw the ball 115 less times than Kirk in 2016 or 70 less times than Kirk in 2015.

You’re cherry picking stats here to hate on Alex Smith. You shouldn’t leave out 2017 just because you don’t like that it was his best year. The truth is Alex Smith is in his prime now and the chiefs threw more last year than in years past so he had better stats. 

2017 for Alex Smith Matters, just like the 2016 yards numbers for Kirk Cousins matters because they accomplished more passing yards in those seasons.

If we throw the ball again around 550 times - and I imagine we will because Gruden is pass happy - my prediction is that Smith will actually surpass his 2017 stats, especially if our running game doesn’t get better like I hope it does.

I could totally see a scenario where “IF” Smith throws around 550 passes in 2018 that his stats are 67%, around 4250 yards, near 30 TDs and less than 10 ints. 

Smith’s int % is less than Kirk’s int% especially in the redzone and I don’t know if Smith has thrown many pick 6s this decade while Kirk has thrown a handful and Smith rarely fumbles while Kirk has had problems with that. Smith’s ability to hold onto the ball, not make poor throws or fumble and not have bad turnovers could be is his greatest asset compared to Kirk.

A good part of the reason you win games is because you posses the ball more and don’t have bad turnovers. Smith had 8 less ints than Kirk last year and almost always throws less than 10. Alex fumbled the ball only once last year while Kirk fumbled the ball 7 times. 

Those are huge differences and could help us win more games.

Believe me when I say that I have no interest in the who is better game between Alex and Kirk. 

The way I see it, Kirk was leaving no matter what, so Washington wanted to stay competitive now instead of waiting to develop a baby. 

I read these stats, and found them interesting. I am NOT saying here that they mean nothing or anything. That's for anyone looking at them to think about.. or not. Just thought it was worth the look. 

NFL.com's situational stats:

In the last 2 minutes of a half:
Alex Smith 66% completion, 5 TDs and 1 INTs.
Kirk Cousins 58% completion, 3 TDs and 2 INTs.

4th quarter when within 7:
Alex Smith 64%, 4 TDs and 2 INTs.
Kirk Cousins 63%, 2 TDs and 2 INTs.

Behind by 1-8 points:
Alex Smith 69%, 10 TDs and 1 INT.
Kirk Cousins 56%, 2 TDs and 6 INTs.

All "behind" situations:
Alex Smith 71%, 15 TDs and 2 INTs.
Kirk Cousins 61%, 8 TDs and 9 INTs.

Playing with any lead:
Alex Smith 67%, 9 TDs and 1 INTs.
Kirk Cousins 68%, 8 TDs and 3 INTs.