BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I just got around to watching that Steelers/Pats game from last weekend. Sat here watching with tv on mute.. zipping through it quickly. 

One prevailing thought throughout... "Man, these QBs sure do have some playmakers." 

It's not even a close call in comparison to what Washington has.. and that's imagining the players are even healthy. Then, you think on the continuity these QBs have had in their surroundings.

Anyway, my point is not really to defend Alex Smith... certainly not anymore. I can't see him returning to football, and he's all the more a fool if to do so as a Redskin. Alex is done.. should be done. He is a great measuring stick to the talent and coaching skill around him.. showing how fragile and depleted Washington was to most/all other rosters. As KC improved, he did so too... even if his norm was good... and his peak (arguably) was as a very good but never great QB. 

I vastly overestimated the talent and durability of the offense Smith went to. I can only pray that things quickly improve for my boy Guice.. and whichever QB is taking the reigns moving forward. 

Yeah, it’s true the Redskins have a bunch of players on offense that just can never seem to stay healthy throughout the season.

I think if healthy the offense had a chance to be middle of the road, maybe hover around top 10, but once you lose 2 very important short to intermediate guys - who are your two best yac players and then your only deep threat who had been playing though injuries all year anyways - your passing game is going to take a hit, and that was even before we lost our starting OGs for the year and our reserve/new starting LG who had been with the team a month.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, it’s true the Redskins have a bunch of players on offense that just can never seem to stay healthy throughout the season.

I think if healthy the offense had a chance to be middle of the road, maybe hover around top 10, but once you lose 2 very important short to intermediate guys - who are your two best yac players and then your only deep threat who had been playing though injuries all year anyways - your passing game is going to take a hit, and that was even before we lost our starting OGs for the year and our reserve/new starting LG who had been with the team a month.

Yeah, I typically go into new situations like this bristling with optimism, so I open myself up to the disappointments. No regrets. 

Even if fully healthy, the WRs were not by me expected to be much more than adequate. I was really hoping JR and CT would have impressed. CT's been out, and JR looks like a shell of what he was. 

Most disappointing for me was the OL. They did enough at times in the run game, but even that was feast or famine. Either big runs or runs that were stymied in the backfield. The pass pro was typically trash too; it seemed clear that both TW and MM were playing hurt all year, and the IOL too often let instant pressure through. 

Not even strength left to discuss the D much right now. Some possessions, you'd think you were staring at a top 5.. many other times bottom 5. 

So, whatever. The skeptics can win this battle and pat selves on back for throwing in the towel before the opening bell. The Alex trade was indeed a disaster. People will disagree as to why it was a disaster, but a clear disaster nonetheless. 

6-3 record before injured, so I do think they would have had the 9 or 10 win season I predicted. I see people wanting to dismiss QB w/l records. In many respects, I agree with that POV all by itself... but 7 years straight of win records for a QB is no coincidence and speaks for itself.

.... but it's all done now. If you're gonna pay a QB top dollar guarantees, it's probably a good idea to have competent OL blocking for him.. and probably a good idea to have some hot routes worked out in advance for the blitzes.

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, I typically go into new situations like this bristling with optimism, so I open myself up to the disappointments. No regrets. 

Even if fully healthy, the WRs were not by me expected to be much more than adequate. I was really hoping JR and CT would have impressed. CT's been out, and JR looks like a shell of what he was. 

Most disappointing for me was the OL. They did enough at times in the run game, but even that was feast or famine. Either big runs or runs that were stymied in the backfield. The pass pro was typically trash too; it seemed clear that both TW and MM were playing hurt all year, and the IOL too often let instant pressure through. 

Not even strength left to discuss the D much right now. Some possessions, you'd think you were staring at a top 5.. many other times bottom 5. 

So, whatever. The skeptics can win this battle and pat selves on back for throwing in the towel before the opening bell. The Alex trade was indeed a disaster. People will disagree as to why it was a disaster, but a clear disaster nonetheless. 

6-3 record before injured, so I do think they would have had the 9 or 10 win season I predicted. I see people wanting to dismiss QB w/l records. In many respects, I agree with that POV all by itself... but 7 years straight of win records for a QB is no coincidence and speaks for itself.

.... but it's all done now. If you're gonna pay a QB top dollar guarantees, it's probably a good idea to have competent OL blocking for him.. and probably a good idea to have some hot routes worked out in advance for the blitzes.

Optimism is fine, I'm cool with optimism.  But the reason you got a big blow back in the offseason is because you were accusing people who didn't support the Alex Smith trade as "not being true fans", which was just rude and uninformed.  Alex Smith would have been a good acquisition for a team that was one player away from being a championship caliber team, that was not the Redskins.  Why myself and many other fans were so upset was that Alex Smith was acquired for two reasons: 1. To cover up the fact that they were letting Kirk Cousins walk for nothing (I'm not getting into a debate on whether Cousins should have been retained here, but not receiving anything in return for a starting QB is idiotic), and 2. to make them compete for the playoffs in a make or break year for the current regime.  

That's it, the only reason the team traded for Smith was to cover their own butts.  This team never had a chance at a Super Bowl, they simply aren't talented enough.  The ceiling of this team was always 9-10 wins and a guaranteed loss in the first round of the playoffs.  Our timetable never fit with a 34 year old veteran QB on an expensive contract.  The trade was always a bad fit and should never had happened.  Those responsible should be fired.

3rd round comp pick is something but I definitely agree that it’s not enough for losing a pro bowl caliber starting Qb.

McCloughan and Lavar we’re right, the Redskins should’ve traded Cousins in March/April of 2016 but Bruce couldn’t see the forest for the trees - imagine that - and he drug the negs on for two more years which wasn’t the best thing for Kirk as the Redskins QB or the team.

I understand not wanting to trade Kirk to Kyle Shanahan in the 2016 or 17 offseason but they could’ve traded him to an AFC team for a 1st round pick and another condition 1st or 2nd like, if he threw for 4500 yards and got that team to the playoffs which, is likely. I definitely think Elway would’ve trade for Kirk in 2016 or 17, if it had been an option.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I understand not wanting to trade Kirk to Kyle Shanahan in the 2016 or 17 offseason but they could’ve traded him to an AFC team for a 1st round pick and another condition 1st or 2nd like, if he threw for 4500 yards and got that team to the playoffs which, is likely. I definitely think Elway would’ve trade for Kirk in 2016 or 17, if it had been an option.

Just because I loved Marvel's "What If" comics growing up:

What if the Redskins traded Kirk Cousins to San Francisco before the 2017 season began ... and then later traded for Jimmy Garoppolo?

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Just because I loved Marvel's "What If" comics growing up:

What if the Redskins traded Kirk Cousins to San Francisco before the 2017 season began ... and then later traded for Jimmy Garoppolo?

Could’ve happened. Personally, my stance was always to give Kirk $45 to 50 million guaranteed and an avg of $20 million a year in Feb of 2016, but honestly none of them saw the forest for the trees, not even McCloughan. I think they all underestimated Kirk.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

3rd round comp pick is something but I definitely agree that it’s not enough for losing a pro bowl caliber starting Qb.

McCloughan and Lavar we’re right, the Redskins should’ve traded Cousins in March/April of 2016 but Bruce couldn’t see the forest for the trees - imagine that - and he drug the negs on for two more years which wasn’t the best thing for Kirk as the Redskins QB or the team.

I don’t understand it? You were going to lose him anyway, why let some silly grudge get in the way of potentially improving your franchise? And that right there should’ve been enough for Snyder to see he needed to axe Bruce. The issue being, the owner was petty and felt the exact same way. Had they made the trade with San Francisco we most likely would’ve got their 2018 first round pick because they weren’t giving us the second overall pick in the draft in 2017. 

So, hypothetically, Snyder and Allen passed on Derwin James, Kendall Fuller, their original third round pick and tons of cap flexibility all because they were holding a grudge against Shanahan and “Kurt”. How much different would this defense look with Derwin James, Daron Payne and Kendall Fuller? Factor in they could still have two third round picks which we could’ve then had Christian and Mason Rudolph. Our front office is run by idiots. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand it? You were going to lose him anyway, why let some silly grudge get in the way of potentially improving your franchise? And that right there should’ve been enough for Snyder to see he needed to axe Bruce. The issue being, the owner was petty and felt the exact same way. Had they made the trade with San Francisco we most likely would’ve got their 2018 first round pick because they weren’t giving us the second overall pick in the draft in 2017. 

So, hypothetically, Snyder and Allen passed on Derwin James, Kendall Fuller, their original third round pick and tons of cap flexibility all because they were holding a grudge against Shanahan and “Kurt”. How much different would this defense look with Derwin James, Daron Payne and Kendall Fuller? Factor in they could still have two third round picks which we could’ve then had Christian and Mason Rudolph. Our front office is run by idiots. 

I didn’t want to trade Kirk at all, but since Bruce/Dan had put themselves in a positon where it was our only choice they should’ve done it. Me personally, so wouldn’t have traded Kirk in the Conference if that was possible.

You're right about your last paragraph, spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s fine and I’m one of Thompson’s biggest supporters but there’s no excuse for the performances they put on. Going from 6-3 to 7-9 is pathetic. If you’re down 40-0 to a terrible giants team then obviously there’s more than just missing Alex that’s going wrong. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That’s fine and I’m one of Thompson’s biggest supporters but there’s no excuse for the performances they put on. Going from 6-3 to 7-9 is pathetic. If you’re down 40-0 to a terrible giants team then obviously there’s more than just missing Alex that’s going wrong. 

Yep, I've missed the past 90 minutes of Redskins football that I paid to see live in person and don't see anything wrong with it.  It would've been embarrassing to be there for the debacle today, just as it was to witness the first half of the Giants dropping a 40-burg on us.  

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

ty

On 12/21/2018 at 10:53 AM, MKnight82 said:

Optimism is fine, I'm cool with optimism.  But the reason you got a big blow back in the offseason is because you were accusing people who didn't support the Alex Smith trade as "not being true fans", which was just rude and uninformed.  Alex Smith would have been a good acquisition for a team that was one player away from being a championship caliber team, that was not the Redskins.  Why myself and many other fans were so upset was that Alex Smith was acquired for two reasons: 1. To cover up the fact that they were letting Kirk Cousins walk for nothing (I'm not getting into a debate on whether Cousins should have been retained here, but not receiving anything in return for a starting QB is idiotic), and 2. to make them compete for the playoffs in a make or break year for the current regime.  

That's it, the only reason the team traded for Smith was to cover their own butts.  This team never had a chance at a Super Bowl, they simply aren't talented enough.  The ceiling of this team was always 9-10 wins and a guaranteed loss in the first round of the playoffs.  Our timetable never fit with a 34 year old veteran QB on an expensive contract.  The trade was always a bad fit and should never had happened.  Those responsible should be fired.

Bingo!!

On 12/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, lavar703 said:

Jesus, just reading everyone we couldve had on our team is depressing

Archived