BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So signing an injury prone receiver in Richardson, when an injury prone WR (Doctson) and injury prone RB (Thompson) being on the roster wasn't a bad roster construction move?  Not being sure they had enough depth at guard, knowing that Lauvao always goes on IR, and knowing that Scherff ended last season on IR, wasn't a bad roster construction move?  Instead we have a ton of defensive backs and linebackers on the roster that barely get used, and not where we normally have injuries in an attempt to bolster those spots to make sure we can survive them.  

1. PRich has only had one season in his career up until this season that he missed more than 1 game and that was in 2015 bc he tore his ACL in the 2014-15 Divisional Round Playoffs.

2. Doctson was injured as a rookie, he really hasn’t missed much time since then, what? One game or two in the last two years? And, he started to show more consistency last season in the second half of the year too bad it didn’t carry over. He was our #1 pick in 2016, of course we’re going to roll with him as one of our starters at WR.

3. Agreed they didn’t have enough depth at guard, but Bergstrom hasn’t been bad when he’s had to start at C or RG. They messed up in the 3rd round of the draft by taking Christian IMO, I wanted Mason Cole who had experience at C, G & LT at Michigan. And since they didn’t do that, I have no clue why they didn’t sign Jonathan Cooper in September after San Fran first released him or even in March/April to compete w/ Lauvao.

4. It must have been you that constantly says we have too many LBs & DBs. I agree we could’ve swapped out a DB for a C/G possibly like Cooper in September but last time I checked we’ve needed all of the DBs we drafted and signed as udfa’s too bc of injures, so that wasn’t a bad move. Remember we drafted Stroman to be our #5/6 corner and he flashed some, then we signed Danny Johnson as an udfa and he even looked better than Stroman in the offseason. Then, we drafted Alexander in the supplemental draft for his potential at corner, so he was going to make the team too. They obviously felt if they cut any of the 3 that they’d lose them and they would’ve be able to keep them on the practice squad, same with Cam Sims and Trey Quinn.

As for ILB, I don’t see one that I would’ve cut before the season in favor of another positon. We had our starters, Vigil is the best option we had as Foster’s back up. JHC is our dime ILB & we had drafted SDH to groom him to hopefully be a starter next year or the year after and all of these players are good/core special teams players.

1.) In 2011, Richardson missed four games for Colorado due to injury.  In 2012, he tore his ACL.  In the playoffs in 2014, another torn ACL, and then he went on IR after returning from that with a hamstring injury in 2015.  Injuries throughout his career, and we drastically overpaid for his best year, which was only 44 catches for 703 yards.  Just an absolutely terrible signing right now. 

2.) There were rumors at some point Doctson was at risk to be cut before the season  Not sure where I heard it from, but he's far from a sure thing at this point.  The Achilles injury is also one to continue watching for the duration of his career

3.) Glad to see we agree 

4.) Yes, that's been me.  It's ridiculous that there is a WR, RB, CB or S for every situation in every package, but teams don't carry extra guys in the trenches, and eliminated positions like a #3 quarterback and fullback.  Also, another point on our roster construction is that we've got a MLB in Mason Foster who is starting but can't cover.  So we've got to replace him in coverage on passing downs, yet teams know to target him whenever he's on the field.  MLB is now a three-down position, and we've got one in Zach Brown who has the talent but can't put it together.  

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, I’m saying injuries derailed the season and Alex’s chance to build chemistry within the passing offense.

Again, I ask: how long does it take for Alex Smith to build chemistry? He had six months prior to his injury, and the passing game still stunk.

The Roster construction was fine - sure it could’ve been better but wasn’t like we weren’t competitive -

The Redskins were only competitive due to having one of the weakest schedules this season. The roster construction was not fine. Or okay. Or even sub par.

- and we had decent depth but we couldn’t sustain losing 3 of our top 4 playmakers in offense and our starting guards and, there’s not a team in the Nfl that could be successful given those all injuries.

You mean injury prone guys like Richardson (who I liked from a talent perspective, but knew as a risk), Thompson, Reed, Lauvao, and to a lesser extent Williams and Moses? Only injury to a top playmaker that probably could not have been projected was with Scherff.

No, Smith is/was not a top playmaker. He was the quarterback, yes, but he wasn't what made the offense move.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Again, I ask: how long does it take for Alex Smith to build chemistry? He had six months prior to his injury, and the passing game still stunk.

The Redskins were only competitive due to having one of the weakest schedules this season. The roster construction was not fine. Or okay. Or even sub par.

You mean injury prone guys like Richardson (who I liked from a talent perspective, but knew as a risk), Thompson, Reed, Lauvao, and to a lesser extent Williams and Moses? Only injury to a top playmaker that probably could not have been projected was with Scherff.

No, Smith is/was not a top playmaker. He was the quarterback, yes, but he wasn't what made the offense move.

Alex couldn’t build chemistry with our #4 & 5 WRs. 

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

So what happened in the beginning of the year when he had WRs 1-3?

Well, it was only a few weeks before CT & Crowder got hurt. 

The 1st 3 weeks?

You mean when Alex had 767 yds, 4 TDs & 1 int and several plays vs AZ & GB resulted in holding or pass interference calls on the defense that would have totaled another 150 yds and 2 TDs at the least. 

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You mean when Alex had 767 yds, 4 TDs & 1 int and several plays vs AZ & GB resulted in holding or pass interference calls on the defense that would have totaled another 150 yds and 2 TDs at the least. 

So, I'm supposed to be impressed that he managed to rack up 475 yards against two teams who have a combined record of 8-19-1 (0.304)?

BTW, nice touch adding in the 292 yards he had against the Colts to make it look more impressive.

And in week 5? When all three were there? Coming out of a bye? When he went 23-39 (59.0%), 275 (7.1 YPA), 0 TD, 1 INT? What happened there?

It's quite simple: Smith is not a good quarterback. He's average at best. If he has stars around him, then sure, he'll look better, but he's not pulling them up. They are pulling him up. But even with all of that, we're still arguing about him maybe getting the team 1-2 more wins. That's what they gave up to get? To go from a 7-9 to a 9-7 team?

1 hour ago, Woz said:

So, I'm supposed to be impressed that he managed to rack up 475 yards against two teams who have a combined record of 8-19-1 (0.304)?

BTW, nice touch adding in the 292 yards he had against the Colts to make it look more impressive.

And in week 5? When all three were there? Coming out of a bye? When he went 23-39 (59.0%), 275 (7.1 YPA), 0 TD, 1 INT? What happened there?

It's quite simple: Smith is not a good quarterback. He's average at best. If he has stars around him, then sure, he'll look better, but he's not pulling them up. They are pulling him up. But even with all of that, we're still arguing about him maybe getting the team 1-2 more wins. That's what they gave up to get? To go from a 7-9 to a 9-7 team?

Week 5, in New Orleans? You’re going to put that all on Alex?

Croweder & CT got hurt that game. I don’t think anyone actually played well that night, I mean even Norman got benched.

Yes, Alex didn’t play good that game, but it was more than just him.

And of course I’m going to include the 292 yds in the colts game, it was in the first 3 weeks of the season, correct?

You can’t lay down a marker and then cherry pick what I can and can’t say about those games.

The truth is our passing game got derailed bc 3 of our top 4 weapons got injured. If that happens to any team they’ll be affected.

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Week 5, in New Orleans? You’re going to put that all on Alex?

Croweder & CT got hurt that game. I don’t think anyone actually played well that night, I mean even Norman got benched.

Yes, Alex didn’t play good that game, but it was more than just him.

And of course I’m going to include the 292 yds in the colts game, it was in the first 3 weeks of the season, correct?

You can’t lay down a marker and then cherry pick what I can and can’t say about those games.

The truth is our passing game got derailed bc 3 of our top 4 weapons got injured. If that happens to any team they’ll be affected.

Dude Alex Smith is not a good QB.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I’ve seen him be good  and even great when he had good playmakers around him.

Yes, the playmakers elevate him. He doesn't elevate the playmakers. He is not the cause of success but the recipient.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

LOL...he couldn't get the ball to our receivers until garbage time. Go check how much of that 292 was against their soft zone. He ALSO didn't lead us to ANY TD drives in that game. Instead choosing to dink and dunk with NO urgency down two scores with 7 minutes left.

You seriously picked a bad game to try to hang your hat on.

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Yes, the playmakers elevate him. He doesn't elevate the playmakers. He is not the cause of success but the recipient.

They do that for every QB. This is such a ridiculous discussion.

I hate to do it, but let’s take Kirk 2016, 2017 & 2018 as an example:

2016: nearly 5,000 yds with CT, Garçon, DJax, Crowder and Reed playing almost ever game 

2017: barely 4,000 yards after DJax & Garçon aren’t re-signed and Reed missed 1/2 the year

2018: 3,913 yds & 26 TDs through 15 games throwing to Diggs, Theilen & Rudolph  

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

LOL...he couldn't get the ball to our receivers until garbage time. Go check how much of that 292 was against their soft zone. He ALSO didn't lead us to ANY TD drives in that game. Instead choosing to dink and dunk with NO urgency down two scores with 7 minutes left.

You seriously picked a bad game to try to hang your hat on.

Doesn’t matter. If you say the first 3 weeks then it’s the first 3 weeks.

As far as the TDs go, when your 2016 1st round draft pick has 2 big drops and couldn’t haul in a perfectly thrown ball for a TD that great WRs catch for a TD, it’s hard to just blame the QB. It’s a team game. We couldn’t run the ball at all, and our receivers had 3 or 4 huge drops that game.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, not going to agree with that so dude, stop trying to convince me. I’ve seen him be good  and even great when he had good playmakers around him.

I just got around to watching that Steelers/Pats game from last weekend. Sat here watching with tv on mute.. zipping through it quickly. 

One prevailing thought throughout... "Man, these QBs sure do have some playmakers." 

It's not even a close call in comparison to what Washington has.. and that's imagining the players are even healthy. Then, you think on the continuity these QBs have had in their surroundings.

Anyway, my point is not really to defend Alex Smith... certainly not anymore. I can't see him returning to football, and he's all the more a fool if to do so as a Redskin. Alex is done.. should be done. He is a great measuring stick to the talent and coaching skill around him.. showing how fragile and depleted Washington was to most/all other rosters. As KC improved, he did so too... even if his norm was good... and his peak (arguably) was as a very good but never great QB. 

I vastly overestimated the talent and durability of the offense Smith went to. I can only pray that things quickly improve for my boy Guice.. and whichever QB is taking the reigns moving forward. 

Archived