BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I know there’s a lot of if’s in this comment, but IF the redskins become more of a success with Smith as their qb over the next 4 or 5 years, fans will be satisfied.

Which is sad, since at no point did you ever reference the Super Bowl, much less discuss winning it.

However, I cannot dispute your assertion that fans will be satisfied.

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

There was no other free agent QB that was going to make sense for this team. And I don't believe Jay was comfortable with a young to mold with 1 year left on his contract. He needed a veteran and someone that coudl come in and understand what it takes to win. 

I know that you wont like this answer and try to curtail my reasoning at every turn. Thats fine. I hated it on the surface. But Kirk was NEVER going to sign here. NEVER. He was as gone as gone gets. Its unfortunate, but thats the business. We got the next best thing.

While all true, it speaks to the stupidity of the front office. Yes, Jay wanted someone who would not risk his job. That's self-preservation. However, Moron is supposed to look out for the long term health of the franchise, not base decisions on protecting the coach. Unless he too is looking to save his skin, which he is.

And thus Moron should be fired because he's not doing his job because he's looking to protect himself to the detriment of the franchise.

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

So the Browns have 2.1 and 2.32 or 2.31. My guess is that it was the lower. Now they could have offered another pick from like the 4th or 5th round. 

I don't believe we got fleeced. I dont like giving up Fuller, but we needed a QB. Smith >>>>> than Bradford, Keenum, McCoy, Bortles, etc...

There was no other free agent QB that was going to make sense for this team. And I don't believe Jay was comfortable with a young to mold with 1 year left on his contract. He needed a veteran and someone that coudl come in and understand what it takes to win. 

I know that you wont like this answer and try to curtail my reasoning at every turn. Thats fine. I hated it on the surface. But Kirk was NEVER going to sign here. NEVER. He was as gone as gone gets. Its unfortunate, but thats the business. We got the next best thing. 

We did not NEED a QB. We aren't super bowl contenders with or without Alex so we could've drafted a QB and saved all of our other assets. This was a desperate move by a stupid franchise.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We did not NEED a QB. We aren't super bowl contenders with or without Alex so we could've drafted a QB and saved all of our other assets. This was a desperate move by a stupid franchise.

What, iyo, takes them so far away from SB contention? How do you know... in the first week of February.. that your team is out of contention? 

I can't even believe the amount of fans that are excusing this trade...This is just ridiculous. I'm asbolutely ashamed of Shawn Springs, Santana Moss, Joe Theisman and Charlie Casserly acting like replacing Fuller is going to be so easy for a franchise that literally lucked into Fuller because he got hurt. Without the injury Fuller was going to be a top 15 pick. So damn stupid. Firing Scot set this franchise back at least 5 years. 

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

What, iyo, takes them so far away from SB contention? How do you know... in the first week of February.. that your team is out of contention? 

The Chiefs and Niners teams that Alex Smith played on were absolutely stacked with talent. How far did he get them? What in gods name makes you think he's going to drag this albatross to a Super Bowl appearance?

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I can't even believe the amount of fans that are excusing this trade...This is just ridiculous. I'm asbolutely ashamed of Shawn Springs, Santana Moss, Joe Theisman and Charlie Casserly acting like replacing Fuller is going to be so easy for a franchise that literally lucked into Fuller because he got hurt. Without the injury Fuller was going to be a top 15 pick. So damn stupid. Firing Scot set this franchise back at least 5 years. 

i AGREE 100% its so sad that fans are already drinking the kool aid

Just now, lavar703 said:

The Chiefs and Niners teams that Alex Smith played on were absolutely stacked with talent. How far did he get them? What in gods name makes you think he's going to drag this albatross to a Super Bowl appearance?

You are severely overstating what it is you think those "stacked teams" were. 

Those teams didn't lose because of Alex Smith. Perhaps he could have done more to carry them, but those teams had problems outside of QB that caused their own demise. 

I think it's a game of perspective. 

I don't believe a QB should have to carry his team. I believe each aspect has to do their job in this team sport. 

Mr. Irrelevant @MrIrrelevantDC
FollowFollow @MrIrrelevantDC
More

Mr. Irrelevant Retweeted NBC Sports Redskins

Oh good I was worried he’d be blue about escaping Ashburnistan to become the highest-paid NFL player ever

Mr. Irrelevant added,

NBC Sports RedskinsVerified account @NBCSRedskins
Kirk Cousins isn't sulking. He's spent Super Bowl Week excited about his free agency prospects. http://bit.ly/2EzShCR 
12:51 PM - 2 Feb 2018

Just now, oldman9er said:

As it stands right now, the Redskins run a 3-4.

Except they don't have a true nose tackle, so they defense gets gashed up the middle

But they only run a 3-4 30% or so of the time, so that's not a problem ... except they keep insisting on getting 3-4 focused players. On top of which, their best middle linebacker is still unsigned (Zach Brown) and may be making his way to free agency. There is no quality behind him. Their #2 CB last year is likely leaving via free agency as well, and they just traded their #3 corner. Oh, and they don't really have a true ball hawking free safety.

So, solely on the defense, they are missing four starters right now. Should they move to a 4-3 front to maximize the talent on the field, they're still short two linebackers (assuming they move Kerrigan down to LDE and Smith or Anderson to RDE).

Then there's the offense outside of the QB. At running back, they have a great scat back in Chris Thompson but he's not really able to get the between the tackle yards. The other RBs they have are basically JAGs. At wide receiver, we have a young guy in Doctson who can make spectacular catches but drop easy passes. He might better as the #2 WR, but they don't have a guy opposite him. Crowder is a good slot guy, but really regressed this past season (I hope that was just a bad run). Behind them, they have a bunch of maybes, with Ryan Grant leading the way (to be fair, Grant looked very good this season after looking like a bust for the past three). At TE, they've got an All Pro in Jordan Reed (who cannot stay healthy) and Vernon Davis (who did stay healthy but is getting long in the tooth). On the offensive line, they have no one who should be starting at left guard, and while they have two really good tackles, they both have gotten banged up repeatedly. There's no depth on the OL.

So, if they avoid the injury bug this coming year, they've got the talent, but the team is currently paper thin. They need at least one WR (whether a free agent vet or one of the other ones on the roster) to step forward. The run game is a bit of a disaster right now, so they need to address that. They desperately need to fix the left guard spot because while Chase Rouiller looks like a decent center, he's not strong enough to hold the point of attack if the guy to his left is not a solid player. And they need a talent infusion at multiple spots on the defense including a hole they just made for themselves at corner. With one less draft pick since they sent the 3rd to the Chiefs as well.

In short (too late!), they just don't have the talent on the roster right now to be in Super Bowl contention.

I like reading the long and info packed post, Woz.. thanks.

I refuse to give up in February.  No no no no no! Not gonna happen. Easy for me to say, right? but at the end of the day, football is just football. I think many fans can take the game to a serious and unhealthy place. For them, HOPE is a dangerous thing. I was one of them fans back in the days, and now at my age, I roll my eyes at the kid I was. 

Yes, I just flashed this image in my head as well. 

shawshank-redemption-morgan-freeman.jpg?

Dare to dream. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I like reading the long and info packed post, Woz.. thanks.

I refuse to give up in February.  No no no no no! Not gonna happen. Easy for me to say, right? but at the end of the day, football is just football. I think many fans can take the game to a serious and unhealthy place. For them, HOPE is a dangerous thing. I was one of them fans back in the days, and now at my age, I roll my eyes at the kid I was. 

Yes, I just flashed this image in my head as well. 

shawshank-redemption-morgan-freeman.jpg?

Dare to dream. 

Just watched that movie last night. 

From what I am hearing, this Smith deal is likely to be a 2 year deal, which means the franchise QB could be drafted in April. 

For the record, I absolutely did not like getting Fuller in the deal, but while we are thin, we are going to have a little more money in order to sign some quality folks. 

Zach Brown might not be signed yet because they new salary cap has not been introduced. But they are talking, and remember Brown was not signed by 31 other teams so we got lucky that he performed well. I dont believe there is going to be a market for Brown right off the bat, and if the parties are interested of coming to a deal, then he could sign right after free agency starts. I am not worried about Brown. 

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The first barb at the Redskins thrown by Cousins:

This has slimeball all over it to me. He knew that we couldn't go into Free Agency without a quarterback and dictated he wouldn't discuss anything before Free Agency. He basically said, tag me and we can talk, otherwise I'm going to talk to all other teams in Free Agency. Now don't get me wrong. I like Kirk, I have and will support Kirk, but this was a planned move to "get out."

Doesn't say slimeball to me. That's the business side of this sport. I would be surprised if he didn't do it, given the leverage he had. The guy wanted to hit FA. He now has his wish. 

Archived