Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Alcohol is no longer part of former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tommy Kramer's life. Kramer, who started 110 games at quarterback in 13 seasons with the Vikings from 1977 to 1989, says he's changing his "gunslinger" lifestyle in an effort to maximize his health in the later years of his life.

Kramer: "I’ve lived my life as a gunslinger on and off the field, I actually planned on going out the same way. After talking with some Doctors and people close to me, with my mind and body slowing down, I decided some time ago to stop drinking. Part of life is slowing down, which I know I am, but I will always still try to be here for the fans."

Kramer said his alcohol consumption the last five or six years has "just been beer," but he has switched to non-alcoholic beer for the past four months.

Kramer, 69, was arrested for drunk driving in Houston in 1980 and underwent treatment for chemical dependency in 1982, according to the Pioneer Press. In 1987, he spent a month at the Hazelden Foundation in Center City, Minn., after being charged for drunk driving in the Twin Cities. He was also arrested for driving under the influence in San Antonio in 2007."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/ex-vikings-qb-tommy-kramer-quits-drinking-i-ve-lived-my-life-as-a-gunslinger-01j1qb8ea1fa?

• 2 weeks later...

He was the Vikings LB coach (and eventually DC) under Burnsie and then the LB coach again when Dungy was the Vikings' DC under Denny.  As I believe I've said before, his son Lane was at the other HS across town at the same time as I was in HS.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Adam Thielen:

“I think I talk to the young guys about this all the time, is no matter who you are, no matter how old you are, no matter how many years you’ve been in the league, you have something to prove. And you have to have that mindset every single day, whether it’s OTAs when no one’s watching other than the coaches, or on Sundays when 60,000 people are watching, you have to have that same mindset that you’re going to prove that you can play at a high level. And, you know, it doesn’t change no matter how many years. When you’re in years 10, 11, 12, you have to go out there and prove it, right?”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/adam-thielen-it-doesnt-matter-how-long-youve-played-you-always-have-to-prove-yourself

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 8:41 AM, swede700 said:

He was the Vikings LB coach (and eventually DC) under Burnsie and then the LB coach again when Dungy was the Vikings' DC under Denny.  As I believe I've said before, his son Lane was at the other HS across town at the same time as I was in HS.

An Eagle?!  Was a much better school in the late 80's!  😉

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

An Eagle?!  Was a much better school in the late 80's!  😉

That's what I've heard. I was in 8th grade when we won the state HS hockey championship...the only one...of course, the school that Lane went to bought a lot of their championships...we had to earn ours.  🤣

I don't know the guy since I was still a toddler when he punted for the Vikings, but some may know...

Former Tennessee football player Neil Clabo passed away July 10.

Clabo died after a battle with Alzheimer’s. He was 71.

Clabo was a First-Team All-SEC standout for the Vols in 1974, and a second-team all-conference performer in 1973.

Clabo was selected by Minnesota in the 10th round of the 1975 NFL draft (No. 258 overall).

In his first season with the Vikings, Clabo was selected to the PFWA All-Rookie Team. He was named Second-Team All Pro in his career by the PFWA.

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2024/07/14/tennessee-vols-football-punter-neil-clabo-passes-away-at-71/

12 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's what I've heard. I was in 8th grade when we won the state HS hockey championship...the only one...of course, the school that Lane went to bought a lot of their championships...we had to earn ours.  🤣

Agreed about JHS hockey. We seem to have shared those hallowed halls for a year.

• Like 1

Houston offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, on his his assessment of Stefon Diggs:

“I just love his personality. He’s extremely competitive, he’s got energy, he’s got juice. I’d never been around him prior to this and I think I speak for the entire offseason and the entire team that he just — he’s fun to be around. But at the same time, he wants to be the best he can possibly be. He wants to be coached. He wants to help teach young guys. He wants to be a leader. He also wants other guys in the room, when they have something for him, to coach him and to teach him and get something from Nico [Collins], get something from Tank [Dell], embrace — he’s one of us. That’s the number one thing that jumps out to me is he’s one of us. He’s a competitor, he loves football and he’s been a great dude.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bobby-slowik-on-stefon-diggs-hes-one-of-us

we've heard this before. twice!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 4:02 PM, vike daddy said:

Houston offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, on his his assessment of Stefon Diggs:

“I just love his personality. He’s extremely competitive, he’s got energy, he’s got juice. I’d never been around him prior to this and I think I speak for the entire offseason and the entire team that he just — he’s fun to be around. But at the same time, he wants to be the best he can possibly be. He wants to be coached. He wants to help teach young guys. He wants to be a leader. He also wants other guys in the room, when they have something for him, to coach him and to teach him and get something from Nico [Collins], get something from Tank [Dell], embrace — he’s one of us. That’s the number one thing that jumps out to me is he’s one of us. He’s a competitor, he loves football and he’s been a great dude.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bobby-slowik-on-stefon-diggs-hes-one-of-us

we've heard this before. twice!

They're still in the honeymoon period. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Honeymoon is going great, guys! 

sometimes you're a wee bit on the... gossipy side... of things.

It’s training camp season in the NFL and that means it is also training camp fight season.

The first one caught on video came in Houston on Wednesday afternoon. Accounts from the session indicate that tight end Dalton Schultz got a little heated after contact by defensive back Jimmie Ward on wide receiver Stefon Diggs. Video on social media then shows cornerback Derek Stingley knock Schultz to the ground as he’s walking away and many players from both sides of the ball came together for a brief scuffle.

Things appeared to settle down quickly from there and it doesn’t seem like anything that will be an ongoing concern for the team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/derek-stingley-involved-in-scuffle-at-texans-camp

Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell has found a new team. The Colts announced that they have signed Treadwell to their 90-man roster on Wednesday. They waived undrafted rookie wide receiver Xavier Wright in a corresponding move.

Treadwell caught one pass for 16 yards in five appearances for the Ravens last season. He spent 2022 with the Seahawks, 2021 with the Jaguars, and 2020 for the Falcons after playing his first four seasons with the Vikings. He has 111 catches for 1,242 yards and five touchdowns for his career.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/colts-sign-laquon-treadwell

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell has found a new team. The Colts announced that they have signed Treadwell to their 90-man roster on Wednesday. They waived undrafted rookie wide receiver Xavier Wright in a corresponding move.

Treadwell caught one pass for 16 yards in five appearances for the Ravens last season. He spent 2022 with the Seahawks, 2021 with the Jaguars, and 2020 for the Falcons after playing his first four seasons with the Vikings. He has 111 catches for 1,242 yards and five touchdowns for his career.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/colts-sign-laquon-treadwell

111/1242/5 would be a great season…

• Like 1