aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Just picked up tickets to the game against the Texans. A little earlier than I would have preferred but there was a pair of tickets at a decent price right in front of my friends who have season tickets. Couldn't let those go to someone else. 

Should be a fun one with Diggs returning to MN. 

i'm confused. i thought you defected and didn't want to be a Vikings fan any more...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm confused. i thought you defected and didn't want to be a Vikings fan any more...

Some people always feel the need to bail when the going gets tough.  😉

5 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I edited the post in the Packer forum right after I finished collecting my fish. 

the link just goes to the beginning of that 200 page long thread.

so your "defection" was a ruse, a part of the game?

41 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

the link just goes to the beginning of that 200 page long thread.

so your "defection" was a ruse, a part of the game?

I updated the link, must have shared it wrong with the way the forum formats it. The goal was to see who could get a post to get the most likes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I updated the link, must have shared it wrong with the way the forum formats it. The goal was to see who could get a post to get the most likes.

well, i like that you didn't leave us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have anyone ever traveled to Iceland?

My love for the Vikings over the years has has translated into direct interest towards viking mythology and history. Me and my wife will be finally taking our honeymoon and celebrating 6 years in Iceland this September. We have some stops planned at a few vikings museums and settlements.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever traveled to Iceland or has any recommendations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

Have anyone ever traveled to Iceland?

My love for the Vikings over the years has has translated into direct interest towards viking mythology and history. Me and my wife will be finally taking our honeymoon and celebrating 6 years in Iceland this September. We have some stops planned at a few vikings museums and settlements.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever traveled to Iceland or has any recommendations.

I went 7 or 8 years ago. I rented an SUV and camping gear and just camped. It was fantastic. I was there in May for four days. It was light outside for probably 20-21 hours a day. The weather was decent, but cold and windy as you'd expect. Nothing unbearable, for sure.

As for recommendations, take the ring road and see the sights along it. It truly feels like you're on different planets with every turn. The waterfalls, Diamond Beach, the Blue Lagoon, the glaciers, Puffin watching, etc. etc.  You can't go wrong. It's one of the most spectacular places for nature on the planet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I went 7 or 8 years ago. I rented an SUV and camping gear and just camped. It was fantastic. I was there in May for four days. It was light outside for probably 20-21 hours a day. The weather was decent, but cold and windy as you'd expect. Nothing unbearable, for sure.

As for recommendations, take the ring road and see the sights along it. It truly feels like you're on different planets with every turn. The waterfalls, Diamond Beach, the Blue Lagoon, the glaciers, Puffin watching, etc. etc.  You can't go wrong. It's one of the most spectacular places for nature on the planet.

I was there maybe a couple years before Mr. Wcblack34 in July. I agree with everything he said except his suggestion that you can't go wrong with the Blue Lagoon. That is the one thing that I did that I wouldn't do again or recommend.  I thought some of the other geothermal features were much better.  I rented an apartment in the city so probably spent less time outside the city than he would have spent camping. If I were to do it again, I would try to do the whole ring road instead of taking a series of day trips outside the city (it sounds to me like he did it better even if he had less days there).

The addition I would make is to try some of the food there that you can't get in the US. They have some interesting fare. Can't remember if it was Iceland or Norway when I tried whale. It was quite good so if you see it in Iceland give it a try. I saw horse steak at a restaurant so tried that but like the Blue Lagoon being the one thing I wouldn't do again, horse steak is the one thing that I ate that I wouldn't recommend; it wasn't very tasty or tender. They serve a lot more shark there than you see in the US and they are consequently better at preparing it. You see a lot of lamb too, but I have never cared much for lamb anywhere, so I don't think I ever ordered it there.

The Icelandic kroner isn't worth much so prices may seem really high, but it isn't actually as bad as it looks. I think it was around 100 isk to the dollar when I was there. I just looked and it is 138 isk per usd today.

Iceland was an interesting place to visit. It is quite a bit different than the other Nordic countries.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I was there maybe a couple years before Mr. Wcblack34 in July. I agree with everything he said except his suggestion that you can't go wrong with the Blue Lagoon. That is the one thing that I did that I wouldn't do again or recommend.  I thought some of the other geothermal features were much better.  I rented an apartment in the city so probably spent less time outside the city than he would have spent camping. If I were to do it again, I would try to do the whole ring road instead of taking a series of day trips outside the city (it sounds to me like he did it better even if he had less days there).

The addition I would make is to try some of the food there that you can't get in the US. They have some interesting fare. Can't remember if it was Iceland or Norway when I tried whale. It was quite good so if you see it in Iceland give it a try. I saw horse steak at a restaurant so tried that but like the Blue Lagoon being the one thing I wouldn't do again, horse steak is the one thing that I ate that I wouldn't recommend; it wasn't very tasty or tender. They serve a lot more shark there than you see in the US and they are consequently better at preparing it. You see a lot of lamb too, but I have never cared much for lamb anywhere, so I don't think I ever ordered it there.

The Icelandic kroner isn't worth much so prices may seem really high, but it isn't actually as bad as it looks. I think it was around 100 isk to the dollar when I was there. I just looked and it is 138 isk per usd today.

Iceland was an interesting place to visit. It is quite a bit different than the other Nordic countries.

With regard to the Blue Lagoon, I should add the caveat that I booked my time slot at the very beginning of the day and only stayed for a couple of hours. By the time I left, all the selfie-seeking Instagrammers started showing up. 

I would also add that Langostine is a must try while there. It's fresh and delicious. I had whale sausage in Norway and found it to be quite tasty. 

Also, building off your exchange rate point, if you're going to drink, you can save some money by buying alcohol in the duty free before flying into town. I've also heard that the duty free at the Rejkavik airport is cheaper than drinking in the bars...and drinking in the bars is spendy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. 

We have a few excursions planned before heading out to tour the golden circle for a few days. We will be there for the equinox with a trip to hopefully see the northern lights in a super jeep.

Most excited to dress up as a viking and have our picture taken.

• Like 4