2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just don't get the love for this offseason. 

It's not love. We're just working through things and I'm not making / reaching conclusions every other hour. The season's a long way off. Plenty of time to adjust a roster IMO.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just don't get the love for this offseason.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I think it's purely due to people being afraid that it could be worse than Thompson.  Until the 2016 season, I defended Thompson to a fault.  I wouldn't acknowledge his faults until he refused to add anybody at corner.  We were a Super Bowl team in 2016 if we went out and got anybody of note at cornerback once Shields got hurt and once Randall got the groin injury. 

Now that Thompson was finally forced into "retirement," people don't want to admit that it's getting worse. 

If you told these people at the end of the season (our last regular season game) that we would trade Randall for Kizer and a 5th round pick, cut Nelson, sign Graham and sign Wilkerson, they'd say "Ted Thompson is literally suffering from dementia."  It's Gute doing it, so all the moves are good. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I think it's purely due to people being afraid that it could be worse than Thompson.  Until the 2016 season, I defended Thompson to a fault.  I wouldn't acknowledge his faults until he refused to add anybody at corner.  We were a Super Bowl team in 2016 if we went out and got anybody of note at cornerback once Shields got hurt and once Randall got the groin injury. 

Now that Thompson was finally forced into "retirement," people don't want to admit that it's getting worse. 

If you told these people at the end of the season (our last regular season game) that we would trade Randall for Kizer and a 5th round pick, cut Nelson, sign Graham and sign Wilkerson, they'd say "Ted Thompson is literally suffering from dementia."  It's Gute doing it, so all the moves are good. 

I think that may be part of it, though I think a big part of it is name recognition. People have heard of Graham, Kizer, and Wilkerson. They remember elite performances from two of those names. 

Obviously I was deadass wrong on Julius Peppers, so it's possible I'm missing here, but we're rolling dice here. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously I was deadass wrong on Julius Peppers, so it's possible I'm missing here, but we're rolling dice here. 

It's best when you're wrong.  I believe you had little faith in Cook, too.  I was ecstatic about Cook and excited about Peppers.  So it works out well when we disagree.  Check the archives and see what happens when we agree. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Be sure to include in your end of season projections that we'd be adding a new DC, OC, (new schemes) and new Coaches who would have reshuffled responsibilities.
As for the player transactions. I'm personally not thinking of (or comparing) Gute to TT at all. Simply considering the personnel and position groups coming and going.

Just now, Leader said:

Be sure to include in your end of season projections that we'd be adding a new DC, OC, (new schemes) and new Coaches who would have reshuffled responsibilities.

Touché. 

If Gute adds ANY veteran corner that can play boundary corner and then adds Derwin James in the draft, it's a good offseason if Pettine can generate a pass rush with Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark/Matthews/Perry. 

If we go into the draft without adding a corner AND losing House to free agency...

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If Gute adds ANY veteran corner that can play boundary corner and then adds Derwin James in the draft, it's a good offseason if Pettine can generate a pass rush with Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark/Matthews/Perry. If we go into the draft without adding a corner AND losing House to free agency...

Lots of "if's" but I understand. I'll add one: if the organization identifies a boundary CB worthy of starting in game one (or take over in season) and selects him with pick @14 - I'll be fine.

I leave the talent evaluations to them. I judge them once I see them on the field - and even that is an ongoing process. 

9 hours ago, SSG said:

Of course I haven’t seen them race though I’ve watched them over their careers and there is no comparing the 2 players.  Crabtree got over 100 targets last year (with a healthy Carr) and wasn’t any more productive than Jordy who only had his QB for 6 games. 

Amyone wanting Crabtree didn’t watch him last year IMO. If we’re going to toss Jordy out with the trash, we need to replace him with speed not a 10 YPR guy. 

Now your making a new argument. I never said I want Crabapple. I just didn’t my know how you can say one is faster than the other. 

Targets and accurate passes are 2 different things as well. Also, anyone who watched Jordy, even with A-Roge knows he wasn’t nearly as fast or explains he once was. Maybe he had another injury, I don’t know. 

I don't love the offseason so far...but it could be fine. What concerns me is the CB's are dwindling in number and quality. If we can add House and Tramon Williams then add a guy or two in the draft, I can live with that. In round one, the pick has to be a DB or OLB. At this point it almost has to be a DB, but will one of the top guys still be there? Gute has work to do...if he can get a CB under contract in the next few days, I will be more optimistic.

1 minute ago, Pilprin said:

this is one of those ...NO ****...type of tweets. The Packers will add CB's. I'd just prefer they have some experience...at least one or two of them.

The guy's just thinking out loud.........

Archived