Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

I'd be pretty damn worried if we paid $84 million for a quarterback and didn't build the offense specifically for him. That doesn't sound like the Vikings, that sounds more like ...

Somebody help me out here. What was a team that went to the trouble of getting a really good high-priced QB and then tied his hands with an ineffective offense? :P

Rudolph, who is 100 percent healthy after battling ankle injuries last season, said DeFilippo's offensive system is staying fairly consistent from that of Pat Shurmur, so far.

Rudolph: “It’s not all that different. Terminology is different, we use different words and every word has a meaning. For us, there’s a few words this year that have different meanings than in the past, but a lot of the same concepts.”

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-harrison-smith-friendship-began-with-a-fight-at-irish-camp/487576381/

Isn't he being overly simplistic* when he talks about a new coordinator using different words than a previous coordinator?

Isn't there different terminology for every coordinator? 

*I'd know a thing or two about being overly simplistic so that's why I ask haha

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Isn't there different terminology for every coordinator? 

DeFilippo: "A lot of the verbage stays the same. I took the liberty of learning a lot of the verbage used here last season, and we've tried to make is as simple a learning process for the players and coaches as possible."

https://www.vikings.com/video/defilippo-details-offense-s-progress-looks-ahead-to-training-camp

• 4 weeks later...

From the first walk-through session, the Vikings broke the huddle and hustled to the line of scrimmage. When an offense can run fast, it has the opportunity to limit the number of pre-snap adjustments by the defense. It appears that Offensive Coordinator John DeFilippo will utilize pre-snap motions and shifts as another means of challenging defenses.

https://www.vikings.com/news/10-takeaways-so-far-from-2018-vikings-training-camp?sf194944454=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DeFilippo and his father say his declaration as a 10-year-old wasn’t necessarily that he wanted to become a “head” coach in the NFL but many believe that could happen, too. DeFilippo interviewed for head coaching jobs in Arizona and Chicago in January, and could be a hot candidate for 2019 if the Vikings have a successful season.

DeFilippo: “If it happens one day for me, great. But, oh, boy, I’m the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. My job is I want to the best offensive coordinator in the National Football League and be the most thorough and put our guys in the best chance to have success.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-defilippo-set-sights-on-nfl-coaching-at-young-age?sf196329387=1

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Seems as if we may end up with a revolving door at OC given how talented the Vikes are.

If DeFilippo leaves after just one year, I think it’s a fairly good assumption that Stefanski gets promoted to OC. Unless he fails, I think you’ll see him be there for a few years. 

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Washington, Denver and Dallas are the only teams I’d view as having coaches on the hot seat. Although, 3-4 of them could easily return with a solid season. 

For some inexplicable reason, Miami is on that list. 

I'd personally also put Ron Rivera on the hot seat in Carolina.  They have a new owner who may want to bring in his own guy eventually and Rivera hasn't really done anything recently to warrant not being on the hot seat.  He's actually mismanaged that team pretty badly, as far as I'm concerned.  He's due another under .500 season this year, as he has done over the 6 years (7-9, 12-4, 7-8-1, 15-1, 6-10, 11-5) and I'm not sure replacing Shula with Norv was actually an improvement.

Also, of course, Bowles is on the hot seat probably in NY as well as probably O'Brien in Houston, considering he's been rather mediocre as a head coach.    

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems as if we may end up with a revolving door at OC given how talented the Vikes are.

Isn't it interesting that we don't have that problem with DC considering defense is the strength of the team?  I thought hiring (what's his name) for DC was not very smart, but there is method to the madness.  Now we need Zimmer to hire an OC that nobody wants as a HC.  Kind of like Norv???  Hmmm.....

Well, I think Stefanski will be that guy eventually.  I think if he gets promoted to OC next year, he'll be the OC for awhile.  He doesn't exactly have that dynamic personality like a DeFilippo, so he won't be as nearly attractive a guy for a head spot.  He is like a Shurmur, who will probably have to work his toil for awhile before possibly getting his shot.

Edwards is also kind of like that from a defensive standpoint.  He's not a flashy guy and Zimmer gets most of the credit for the defensive success, so he doesn't get a ton of run as a potential head coach, although he's certainly had some interviews.  I'm most surprised though that Jerry Gray hasn't received more interest in getting another shot as a DC, with all the success he's had with the DBs.  I don't know if that's his lack of interest in doing it again (he's done in both Buffalo and Tennessee) or their lack of interest in hiring him for it.  I'm certainly fine with it, because he's been great as a DB coach, unlike that joker Joe Woods.  

Archived