2018 Winter Olympics

roysmyboy31

I wonder if my expectations were too high watching these Olympics. I'm sure many Americans probably feel the same way regarding their country but right now Canada is sitting in 2nd in medal count and US 4th I believe. Which is very good. 

I've just been disappointed with some choking I've seen in events we've been favoured to win Gold and end up with either Silver or Bronze and other events where we were supposed to medal but have finished 4-10th range some of its just losing to better competition and not so much a choke job.

Just sitting 9 back on the overall lead in medals (or 14 back in US case) you think of all the missed opportunities as I'm sure expectations for USA is to win most medals all the time and recently in the Winter Olympics that's become a Canadian goal as well.

Dont get me wrong I've had a lot of fun watching a lot of different events that I wouldn't normally watch or care about stuff like the Biathlon or Nordic Combined have provided me lot of enjoyment and short track speed skating and the sliding events (luge, skeleton, bobsled) are ridiculous to watch that I normally wouldn't care about at all and all the freestyle ski events that I love plus alpine skiing it's been great to watch. 

To see surprise winners or surprise medals, upsets if you will that offset some disappointments in other events is really cool it looks like Canada should set a new record for medals at a Winter Olympics this year. 

Norway a country with the population of metropolitan Detroit is a Damn behemoth though. They have been killing it all Olympics. Overall this has been a very thrilling Olympics for me to watch despite some disappointing results at times. 

Disagree with the women's figure skating. Zagitova isn't nearly as good as she is scored in the components. There is no actual feeling or performance it's more intellectual about what should go where when. And the skating around for half a program and then doing nothing but jumps is not appealing as routine. She is a great technician but it's supposed to be about more than that. Medvedeva should have won.

OMG am I'm dreaming?

Germany somehow was able to beat world champion Sweden and now 9-time olympic winner Canada in the ice hockey semi-final. I know the NHL players aren't participating, but that's still one of the biggest surprises i can think of. Probably the best performance any german ice hockey team has ever done.

In the finals we will play against Russia, which i guess could be even harder. Well we don't have any pressure, so we'll see what happens there.

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Nobody but curling people will realize how huge this gold medal is. Just unreal. 

I don't know about that, the story of this team has been told numerous times on these telecasts.

That really was a great match though. Actually really close. It really only came down to one shot that Edin missed by maybe an inch so he didn't get as much roll. And the run USA went on was stupid good. Sweden, Switzerland, Canada x2. They definitely earned it.

Archived