2018 Winter Olympics

roysmyboy31

On 23-2-2018 at 5:29 AM, kyle21121 said:

I wonder if my expectations were too high watching these Olympics. I'm sure many Americans probably feel the same way regarding their country but right now Canada is sitting in 2nd in medal count and US 4th I believe. Which is very good. 

I've just been disappointed with some choking I've seen in events we've been favoured to win Gold and end up with either Silver or Bronze and other events where we were supposed to medal but have finished 4-10th range some of its just losing to better competition and not so much a choke job.

Just sitting 9 back on the overall lead in medals (or 14 back in US case) you think of all the missed opportunities as I'm sure expectations for USA is to win most medals all the time and recently in the Winter Olympics that's become a Canadian goal as well.

Dont get me wrong I've had a lot of fun watching a lot of different events that I wouldn't normally watch or care about stuff like the Biathlon or Nordic Combined have provided me lot of enjoyment and short track speed skating and the sliding events (luge, skeleton, bobsled) are ridiculous to watch that I normally wouldn't care about at all and all the freestyle ski events that I love plus alpine skiing it's been great to watch. 

To see surprise winners or surprise medals, upsets if you will that offset some disappointments in other events is really cool it looks like Canada should set a new record for medals at a Winter Olympics this year. 

Norway a country with the population of metropolitan Detroit is a Damn behemoth though. They have been killing it all Olympics. Overall this has been a very thrilling Olympics for me to watch despite some disappointing results at times. 

This is the first time that I've watched the Olympics while living abroad and it has been a great experience. It's entertaining watching the Dutch, German and British channels go crazy over the medals that they've won. The German commentary during the women's cross-country skiing was pure gold. "I love you Jessie!".

I knew the Dutch were good at speed skating but I didn't realize it was this popular. Here in the Netherlands they take lots of pride in how good they are in speed skating. They only participate in speed skating and short track speed skating but the amount of medals that they win is quite impressive.  Four years ago they won 24 medals (8 gold) and this year they have 18 so far (8 gold). They're going to finish in the Top 5 again and ahead of countries like France, Sweden, Austria and Switzerland. 

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Nobody but curling people will realize how huge this gold medal is. Just unreal. 

It's good for improving the popularity of the game, but something was seriously amiss with this tournament.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, but teams had to deal with badly mismatched rocks and wonky ice conditions. There was one rock with a faulty sensor, which resulted in two or three bogus hog line penalties. If it was just one of the top teams struggling with the rocks and the ice I could understand it, but it was essentially all of them, on both the men's and women's sides. And it wasn't just teams struggling with their draws. When all-time great hitters like Rachel Homan and Niklas Edin start missing badly on routine hits something is definitely wrong. The thing is, the organizers hired one of the best ice makers out there in Hans Wuthrich, so I am not really sure what happened. 

John Shuster is maybe the 15th-best men's curling rink in the world. They have played in more than 20 Grand Slam events and have never come close to winning one. They made the semifinals exactly once. They have also  played in 7 world championships and, again, have never come close to winning anything.

2 hours ago, milanb said:

It's good for improving the popularity of the game, but something was seriously amiss with this tournament.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, but teams had to deal with badly mismatched rocks and wonky ice conditions. There was one rock with a faulty sensor, which resulted in two or three bogus hog line penalties. If it was just one of the top teams struggling with the rocks and the ice I could understand it, but it was essentially all of them, on both the men's and women's sides. And it wasn't just teams struggling with their draws. When all-time great hitters like Rachel Homan and Niklas Edin start missing badly on routine hits something is definitely wrong. The thing is, the organizers hired one of the best ice makers out there in Hans Wuthrich, so I am not really sure what happened. 

John Shuster is maybe the 15th-best men's curling rink in the world. They have played in more than 20 Grand Slam events and have never come close to winning one. They made the semifinals exactly once. They have also  played in 7 world championships and, again, have never come close to winning anything.

I'm pretty sure they use the World Curling Federation rocks, so they wouldn't be any different from any other event. The ice did seem to be funky at times though. 

AH.. there you are.   I had been talking to myself in my team's forum.

I like Men's halfpipe snowboarding and big air (both genders) because they went aggressively in final run.  Only White and Gasser nailed it.  Hopefully, for next winter games, big air athletes improve landing pct in run 3 of finals.  Butchering up landing makes big air looks overrated.

Since Eagles won Super Bowl as the underdog team I can see Germany beat OAR tonight. Why not?

38 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm pretty sure they use the World Curling Federation rocks, so they wouldn't be any different from any other event. The ice did seem to be funky at times though. 

I'm not sure what the issue was with the rocks, but there was a huge disparity in records between the yellow and red rocks on some sheets, and a lot of the teams were complaining about big variations in draw weight and swing within some sets.

I have serious doubts (and that's me being incredibly optimistic) that my wife would consent to polygamy and even then 19 is realistically too young for me to marry, but that being said... I want to adopt Ivett Toth after that AC/DC short program routine!

31 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I have serious doubts (and that's me being incredibly optimistic) that my wife would consent to polygamy and even then 19 is realistically too young for me to marry, but that being said... I want to adopt Ivett Toth after that AC/DC short program routine!

Is Woody Allen your idol? Don't tell me.

Archived