Cubs to acquire LHP Justin Wilson from Detroit

NewAge

6 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I swear people on this board care way more about the farm system than being good at the major league level.  Cubs' young talent didn't go anywhere just because they're ineligible for prospect rankings.

Beat me to it. Well said

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Thank goodness he has 4+ years.

Yeah I wouldn't be too worried about rebuilding the system right now when the major league roster is loaded with young talent. He can afford to make these moves because of which. He's going for another ring and I don't blame him. 

I'm glad the Red Sox didn't pay this price for Wilson, but they need to come away with a bullpen arm today.

6 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I swear people on this board care way more about the farm system than being good at the major league level.  Cubs' young talent didn't go anywhere just because they're ineligible for prospect rankings.

It comes up with the Cubs because the rest of the division has basically been conceded for the next 2-3 years. No one is being critical of Epstein for going for it, but this weakens the Cubs in 2019 and beyond. Normally that doesn't enter the picture for other fans, but in this case, that's pretty much all the rest of the division has besides dumb luck in terms of competing for the division race.

6 hours ago, iPwn said:

Pretty much. I mean yeah, they’ve traded away players in the farm. But their farm isn’t good anymore primarily because Bryant, Schwarber, Contreras, Russell, Baez, Happ, Caratini, Almora and Edwards have all made the MLB team. In two years, they’ll be able to rebuild the farm to the level it was after these trades, they’ll still have control of these 9 major league players, and they may have another title or two if the moves they’ve made pay off.

We're hoping that instead of rebuilding the farm, the Cubs keep making deals like this for short term bullpen gains so that in 4 years when the majority of that crew is in arbitration/approaching FA there aren't the prospects ready to backfill spots.

Which isn't a bad idea. It might lead to a few more rings, and flags fly forever. But if you're a fan of another team in the NL Central, you'd rather the Cubs be a 100 win team from 2017-2020 and a 90 win team through 2023 than a 95 win team the entire time.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We're hoping that instead of rebuilding the farm, the Cubs keep making deals like this for short term bullpen gains so that in 4 years when the majority of that crew is in arbitration/approaching FA there aren't the prospects ready to backfill spots.

Which isn't a bad idea. It might lead to a few more rings, and flags fly forever. But if you're a fan of another team in the NL Central, you'd rather the Cubs be a 100 win team from 2017-2020 and a 90 win team through 2023 than a 95 win team the entire time.

Understandable. I’m just not necessarily sure it much matters. Every one of the players they’ve traded away have been guys blocked getting to the Majors. Candelario isn’t going to start with Bryant and Rizzo under team control until 2022.  

The only exception to that has been Eloy who realistically could make the roster in a year or two as a COF, but they traded him for Quintana who is under team control through 2020.

All the rest of these guys would be Rule 5’d before they ever made it with the Cubs, so to me it makes sense to trade them away for a chance to win now and then replenish the farm later.

And these guys that are being traded for (sans Chapman) have all been on multi-year deals. Quintana as stated, Monty hits arb in 2020, Wilson is a FA in 2019. So while they do fall off at the time you’re suggesting, that also gives Theo a few years of quality play in those spots so that he can rebuild the Pen.

It’s certainly something to hope for as a fan of a rival team, but this is almost what the Cubs had to do for this stretch. Theo’s shown to be a really smart guy as a GM, so I’m not sure you can truly buy into a certainty that he’s going to continue to sell off the assets leading up to when he needs to replace guys. But I do understand why you would hope these actions will continue that path. I’ve just seen others (not you) suggest that this is assuredly the path Theo is going to take, and I’m just not sure you can infer that based on the situation the Cubs are currently in.

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

It’s certainly something to hope for as a fan of a rival team, but this is almost what the Cubs had to do for this stretch. Theo’s shown to be a really smart guy as a GM, so I’m not sure you can truly buy into a certainty that he’s going to continue to sell off the assets leading up to when he needs to replace guys. But I do understand why you would hope these actions will continue that path. I’ve just seen others (not you) suggest that this is assuredly the path Theo is going to take, and I’m just not sure you can infer that based on the situation the Cubs are currently in.

I mean this is what it comes down to. The Cubs can make a move that is both good for them and good for the rest of the division because the timelines are different.

We'll see what Theo does. The issue could be forced depending on how many starters you have to replace or update and whether you are a luxury tax exceeding team or not. The international restrictions are going to hurt him for sure.

Archived